ForumsForum GamesHow FishPreferred Are You?

284 82578
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Mark your calendars! Clear your schedules! Defragment your hard drives and install those updates!

It is time for How FishPreferred Are You?

As you may know, Gantic will not be available to do his usual schtick this year, thus it falls to me to continue this weird tradition of quantifying your similitude to some vague standard through a series of convoluted and seemingly arbitrary tests.

Sign-up is open until 10 spots are filled, or until September 9, whichever is sooner. You may wager any number of Gantic Points you like, but they will be disregarded because Gantic Points have no relevance to this game.

ROSTER:
1ʭ Hardstrike
1ʭ MattEmAngel
1ʭ Yellowcat
1ʭ hafaroman
1ʭ Coral42
1ʭ Boofuss
1ʭ Moegreche
1ʭ PLGuy
1ʭ Swarmlord2*

*Additional entry, because Hey, why not?

• 284 Replies
Yellowcat
Yellowcat
2,869 posts
Treasurer

What about my guess on thing 3 from last page?

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

Probably wrong if it hasn't been mentioned

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Thing 1: Gravitational lensing. The beams of light are trying to follow a straight path through curved space. The problem is that space is shown to stretch back into its usual shape with distance, but the light is not stretching back with it. In fact, were the light to actually stay on course, we would not be able to see the lensing at all. Example:
https://i.imgur.com/T7extcO.png

Thing 2: Bernoulli's principle on a bell-shaped aircraft wing. To keep pace with the air flowing under the wing, the air flowing over it must move faster, and therefore have lower pressure, resulting in lift. The problem is that the air has no way to (and no need to) reach the end of the wing at the same time, meaning that this wing profile cannot produce lift.

Thing 3: Destructive light wave interference. The beams of light that meet in the middle of the box are 180° out of phase, and therefore cancel each other out. The problem is that energy is going into the box without increasing the energy of the box, which violates conservation of energy.

Thing 4: Hawking radiation. When virtual particle-antiparticle pairs form very near to a black hole and one escapes, it adds mass outside the black hole, so the trapped one removes mass from inside the black hole to make the total mass constant. The problem is that virtual particles cannot choose which side to exist on, so the outside is as likely to lose the mass as it is to gain it.

ROUND 3 SCORE:
1ʭ, 50p Hardstrike
1ʭ,120p MattEmAngel
1ʭ, 20p Yellowcat +20+20ʭ
1ʭ, 55p Moegreche
1ʭ, 40p PLGuy +10+20
1ʭ,-10p Swarmlord2 +20+10+20+10

Bonus Round:

State any one of my four Principles of Omnexia.
Note: You will not find any mention of these anywhere. You will have to infer what they would be.

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

@FishPreferred Ahh I had a similar theory about that fourth thing but I totally forgot to post it - that was the curse of 13th page for sure. How much time do we have for this bonus round? It's already 00:30 here so I need to think about it in the morning.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

I'll leave it open till tomorrow. Probably noonish, site time.

Hardstrike
Hardstrike
543 posts
King

Omnexia exists in me, you, everyone

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

Omnexia features someone who is ex in every role of his life f.e. if a random guy's feature is omnexia he is ex-husband, ex-boyfriend, ex-father, ex-brother etc.

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

And now seriously, one of the principles: "Omnexia go beyond boundaries and limits of whatever it is related to."

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

The Principles of Omnex are as follows:
1 "Do not ever yield to convenience, convention, or consensus."
2 "Do not ever hold a premise above suspicion."
3 "Do not ever become invested in any belief."
4 "Do not ever fear being wrong."

ROUND 4 is a cryptography round, because, while it may not be Gantic, it's definitely Preferred. Each of the following bits of jargon will tell you to do something. Also, those are dividers between them, and not very long obscenities.

Attention: These "secret communications" started where we tread. Is Gantic's crazy weirdness the cause? Are additional reasons probable?

Two things happen at embarassingly boring intervals: 1 Straw thatched odorous diners addled by lost business. 2 Ajax covering tiles endlessly.

*************** (10p)

It wraps growing trod crust thrips Oancea, blunt if hoards neon oathseer ounce took prunt ignition iotas support, stop

Unsee dripsyquest tool scary hail.

*************** (10p)

┌(09: 29:17)┐
y ≡ y
1.5y = 18

y = 12
x < 39.2-y
-4z > 0.5y
x-1.5y = 6

ready-> RUN decode.exe_1 to start.
> RUN decode.exe_1
> decode {7x÷y}
decode.exe_1 has encountered an error
data dumped to error_report. OPEN error_report?
> OPEN error_report
unknown command (OPEN).
> ._.
ERROR: unknown operator.

This makes no sense.
It makes no Cod-****ed sense.

-z+0.5x = 15
z = -3
solution pending-
7x÷y

~7. g^?&-}}/Nh@~
∴ There are clearly no secrets here
. ſᴼᴥ°
√√d└▓ 38.<$_!
ready-> No.
> DEBUG decode.exe_1
x = 24
Is there even any message here?
└(11:--:17)┘

*************** (20ʭ)

< This shower of radon ayous adorn.
I refined a brandy tryout. >
< Riposte lint to ebb life renamed Richard VIII list may hands tie in to lift mod.
< Fused a sun drift in Renoth.

*************** (20p)

Q*=* !+ $]* $A "Q* Q/=~*= ";9*+ $A >;9Q*=
!" Q/+ ]$ 2*; "$ n+* A$= +$z#!]\
<Q!>Q n+*= =/]2 !+ +!"n/"*~ "<$ 9z/>*+ /j$#* ;$n= $<]
Q/=~+"=!2* >/] 7n+" +/; ]$]*

*************** (20ʭ)

You have until Saturday (Oct 7) to sumbit whatever the heck it is you're supposed to submit here.

Current Rate of Exchange
Buying: time , Selling: emit

Hardstrike
Hardstrike
543 posts
King

>RUN brainmelting.exe
SUCCESS

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/MCn9lL94sxQ/maxresdefault.jpg

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Well, I would hope that you can all follow the instructions without giving them away.

Hardstrike
Hardstrike
543 posts
King

All I could decipher is that this

7. g^?&-}}/Nh@
is 7x÷y

Therefore X is g^?&-}} or part of it and Y is Nh@

But I think deciphering this is not a step in the right direction, and all I have to do is determine X,Y,Z
So X=24, Y=12, Z= -3

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

Sorry I was speechless after first impression of Round 4. Is this also who's-first-takes-points round?

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

That last one was obvious how to solve but without any key... And I thought my encryption before was hard - comparing to this one it was super easy.
@MattEmAngel Haha you had the same idea as me xD We just use the same encryption to answer: =*\*]"

Showing 166-180 of 284