ForumsWEPRDoes war solve anything?

250 47872
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

I mean, I personally just think of war as a harsh time and bloody ages, but really, does war solve anything?

• 250 Replies
Eyes
Eyes
139 posts
Blacksmith

Moegreche: Though I don't really agree with what chiliad_nodi said, I think I can understand it.

I think by "easy" he meant that it is the easy way out, that war may be the route taken by those who don't have the courage/willingness to work things out diplomatically, etc.

Anyway, I think that all other options should be used before you resort to war. I think that anyone who says war isn't the answer should tell us what the answer is...

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

It is much easier to send the army to another country than to deal with problems peacefully. War is the only thing people are able to think of as a last resort to conflicts. If they wanted to compete, why such a violent event?
I can destroy a building much easier than I can put one up. And if I destroy one, I end up with a pile of rubble. If I build one, then I end up with a building.
In the idea of war, I can kill the opponent much easier than I can change his beliefs. I never said war wasn't costly, just that it easier to wage war than try to hold peace. Human nature will overpower the will for peace. War is easier on government and the people than trying to compromise. Plus, I am guessing that most people don't know the true horrors of war, even while one is going on.

And to reply to "If you guys are just posting ridiculous stuff to get little points or whatever, then fine." I say that if I wanted just points, I would post shorter messages.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

This might sound silly, but I don't think destruction is a necessary condition of war. Why would a group of people want to declare war on another group? The only reason I can see it that a group wants to gain something, be it power, economic influence, land, security, etc. (I don't consider attacking a group of people just to kill them as war, I think that's just genocide). This is what I meant by those who view history as conscious choices as war having its own intrinsic worth. Regardless of who attacked who, both sides have the potential to gain something from the conflict, even if it is something as simple as security.
I totally agree that most people (including me) have no idea what war is like. I bet if everyone involved in declaring the war had to go help fight it, there would be fewer wars today. But then again, it is only recently that a country's leader did not obtain his/her power through military achievements, so maybe I'm wrong.
I'm also not sure what you mean by human nature overpowering the will for peace. I mean, I understand what you're saying, I'm just not sure what aspects of human nature would affect that.
Also, sorry for the ridiculous post comment, I was just cranky. Your posts are well thought out and insightful.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

Thank you.

The human nature is mostly greed. Greed is what causes a political leader to declare war and waste the lives of so many people. (Including his own troops). Compromise would be part of the picture if there was no greed. I think that war would not happen if People were willing to compromise.
Destruction is not the idea of war, as you said, but it is always a deadly side-effect.
We now have the tehnology of the non-lethal weapon. Why not just use that. This may sound like a sill idea, but think about it.
What if war were like paintball? It would still let the armies develop new technology and will still be based on stategy and all the other war aspects. It would cost less...
There are probable flaws in this paintball idea, but I want to see what people think.
On a final note, another quote:
People like peace, but they are not willing to take wounds for it like they do for war.

Skidzy
Skidzy
35 posts
Nomad

War solved alot of things before, Hitler and the Nazis conquest is propably the biggest one. If we hadn't retaliated, we might all be speaking German by now. So saying war is disgusting is wrong. It is only right if we are provoked.

ericrwalk90
ericrwalk90
7 posts
Nomad

War doesnât actually solve anything, but its an necessity for solving any, vast ongoing conflict.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

It solves some. . .SOME mind you, evil people in the world such as hitler and etc. but otherwise no it reallly doesn't.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

Even it did "solve" hitler, hee used war to take control in the first place. He used very violent tactics. War created hitler before it solved him. Without war, we never would have had that problem in the first place.

Mordred
Mordred
84 posts
Nomad

War solves alot of things, it advances our technology, which then solves a bunch of other things, it solves dispute faster and better than most methods, without war the world would become overcrowded, and, its fun to watch! Yes, I know, all the hippies are gonna get mad at me for saying that, but, whatever.

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

i dont think it helps, its just old men sending you men to die, and when it over the two are still mad at each other (if ones not already dead), so pretty much it doesnt teach anything

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
922 posts
Scribe

War can be very contraversial. I see war as a way to help solve things. It doesn't do the whole job, but it helps. I can also see why it doesn't help at all. Men killing men for a victory. I don't like death at all especially through war. I'm not sure I'm confident to take a side.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

I stated before that we could replace war with a less violent activity. Any ideas?

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
922 posts
Scribe

I'm just not sure that war can be replaced. I wish this could happen, but I dont think that the world can settle differences, without resulting in war

Mordred
Mordred
84 posts
Nomad

War is good only if its for the right reasons.

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
922 posts
Scribe

I dont believe war is rite at all, but sometimes thats the only choice

Showing 31-45 of 250