ForumsWEPRHave We Become Too Attached To Technology?

100 16467
darkhandmaster
darkhandmaster
62 posts
Nomad

Have we gotten to attached to technology?
What happens if one day all of the things we rely just stop working?
State your opnions

• 100 Replies
SuperzMcShort
SuperzMcShort
325 posts
Nomad

Like what?

Like...the internet, which can be a fantastic medium to transfer information. Then there's computer programs which are designed to teach languages and transfer information that way. Pdfs are in themselves digital books. MP3 players with downloaded stories and even books for people who prefer to hear rather then read are another option. Television and movies (not to mention vhs or dvd) are "new" technological advancement. Even radio is a means to transfer information, and all of these have served to cause a decline in book reading simply put there are now different ways of getting information and entertainment, which are ofter easier, faster, and more convenient. Books simply no longer have a monopoly on remote access to information so it's natural that they're used less and less.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

But most don't care for the gaining of information. Books still serve #1 for information. The internet can't give you everything.

Reading books has not declined because people are doing other things reverent...NO, all together, its a decline on being educated individuals.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Technology is a creature's use of tools and crafts, so basically, we are using technology 24/7. The chair you're sitting in, the bed, pillows, blankets you sleep in, obviously the tv's and computers. Even in the wild, without any provisions, we'd use technology. A simple carved spear is technology. It is a matter of life or death. wikipedia tech site

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Lets not play with the words. We all know what we mean when we say technology.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

We all know what we mean when we say technology.

Actually, thepyro222 makes a very good point. Technology is anything that humans have created and used. So we do rely on it all the time.

You guys should specify that you are talking about electronics, otherwise people might get confused...
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Electronics it is then.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Also, apes use technology, i.e. a stick to get bugs out of a hollow tree, or I saw a chimp use a hollow twig as a straw for some reason... I even saw an elephant using a big stick to knock branches of leaves out of a tall tree.

SuperzMcShort
SuperzMcShort
325 posts
Nomad

Reading books has not declined because people are doing other things reverent...NO, all together, its a decline on being educated individuals.

I would disagree very strongly on this point. Technology in general (and modern technology as you seem to be discussing solely) has served to increase the average knowledge base of a person. Again, the internet is a fantastic example of how technology makes knowledge more accessible and easier to begin to understand. Let's use the example of studying a science, before if you wanted to start learning physics you would either have to sign up for a class or buy a $150 text book and hope you could understand it yourself, however with the advent of the internet you can simply go online and see hundreds of sites each with varying degrees of complexity from which you can choose one that fits your current skill level and perhaps even talk with others around the world who have more knowledge on the subject that you do if you run into trouble on your own.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Again, we use electronics to survive. As we moved into heated and cooled homes, and we use stoves, water heaters, dish washers, all of that, our bodies have become week. A normal human could not easily just go out into the wild and say "ok, this is my new home." Our civilized lifestyle has actually weakened our immune systems, and anyone that eats raw food, especially meat, most likely will die. We are also used to storing food in a refrigerator, out in the wild, you can't run one. Yes, we are attached to our technology.

We use it to contact people, telephones, computers, the internet. We use it for travel, cars, planes, boats. Without technology, I think that civilized life as it is today, would be impossible.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

before if you wanted to start learning physics you would either have to sign up for a class or buy a $150 text book and hope you could understand it yourself

No, if you didn't understand it, what you would do is either request a tutor, which is MUCH more helpful then any online site, or maybe try and increase your reading skills. Just because technology offers easier ways to learn, doesn't mean people take the power to do so. No one cares.

I use the internet myself for information, but I would probably better off without it.

Without technology, I think that civilized life as it is today, would be impossible.

Without technology, there wouldn't be civilized life would there? :P
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

@Drace

Industrial revolution = Creation of capitalism. And you know how I am with that.

So you admit now that Capitalism created the greatest expansion of technology in history. Doesn't this prove that Communism is a backward system that only looks to the past... even to the stone age?

You admit here that Capitalism created the technologies that exist. If you are so again new technologies, and prefer the stone age, why do you even use a computer? Practice what you preach. If you claim Capitalism created all these new technologies, yet you hate the system, and prefer a system that wants to go back to the stone age, then stop using a computer. Stop using the internet. Stop coming here.

Every time you preach for Communism, you contradict yourself. You admit Capitalism created all this new tech, yet you use it. You claim the world was best during the Stone Age, yet you use electronics all the time. You are such a hypocrite. If you want to practice what you preach, get off this site and never use a computer ever again. Otherwise, you are a complete hypocrite.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Within the creation of the Industrial Revolution came capitalism. The industrial revolution was great, it increased the means of production, but whats happening is that capitalists are using this for a profit through exploitation and lies.

You claim the world was best during the Stone Age, yet you use electronics all the time.

Yes I should go outside in a cave man outfit.

Capitalism created all these new technologies, yet you hate the system, and prefer a system that wants to go back to the stone age, then stop using a compute

Seriously, get a dictionary and look about communism. It has NOTHING to do with that =D

Really I don't want to turn this into that topic again. Leave a comment on my profile instead.
Calm
Calm
908 posts
Herald

@ Drace and thelistman
This topic is not about communism and capitalism. If you want to fight about this, do it on your profile walls or on the appropriate threads Thanks.

Calm
Calm
908 posts
Herald

It is true that we depend a lot on technology. It is present in our everyday lives and sometimes we don't even notice it! But I don't think that we would be doomed if there was a major crashdown in technology. It would be terrible but not lethal.

But as I read the previous answers, a new question sprang up to my mind: whant do you guys actually consider as TECHNOLOGY? It seems that you limit it to the internet and computers...

Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

I think that if you can't survive without electricity, you have failed in life. unless of course you have like a bad heart or something, and you have a pacemaker, or some other situation like that.

Showing 46-60 of 100