ForumsWEPRHave We Become Too Attached To Technology?

100 16465
darkhandmaster
darkhandmaster
62 posts
Nomad

Have we gotten to attached to technology?
What happens if one day all of the things we rely just stop working?
State your opnions

• 100 Replies
XeroGeez
XeroGeez
90 posts
Nomad

Well, you get my point. Alot of people would die, and the rest would go on living like the africans and indians did/do.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Just saying, it would be lot more then just a few million.

Demonfire
Demonfire
76 posts
Nomad

wed almost all die (50million will live maybe

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

If all electricity stopped working, people today would be too stupid to think to do anything. We have so much we take for granted, that I'm sure at least 3/4 of the world's population would die. Some people might make it through taking what they need from a store or something, but the intelligent people would go into the woods, or somewhere where they can hunt, and start over.

tanstaafl28
tanstaafl28
336 posts
Farmer

If all electricity stopped working, people today would be too stupid to think to do anything. We have so much we take for granted, that I'm sure at least 3/4 of the world's population would die. Some people might make it through taking what they need from a store or something, but the intelligent people would go into the woods, or somewhere where they can hunt, and start over.

It is interesting to consider what would happen if our core infrastructure broke down. I think you are right, a great many people would die waiting for the lights to come back on.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

If our electricity stopped working, we would die because of lack of production, not because people are stupid.

The machines wouldn't run.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

In priciple i disagree with the statement that we have become too reliant upon technology. Without scientific research and progression we would be back in the stone age. However in a 21st century context i belive in some areas we have become too reliant on certain forms of technology. For example taking Drace's comment there about the electricity you can analyse it. Electricity is what powers everything in the developed world and without it we would in short be screwed. However when you look at the raw material electricity relies on - fossil fuels, this is running out fast. I belive we have become too reliant on this type of technology as there isnt enough oil to go around as the demand is increasing and the supply is decreasing. I belive that scientists should focus much more on developing new alternatives for example nitrogen and hydrogen and renewable resources. I may sound like an environmentalist, but im not, i am a realist. The oil will run out someday and it is better to be prepared sooner rather than later. However the blanket statement 'we rely too much on technology' cannot be applied to everything as there are so many different circumstances and factors affecting the positives and negatives. All in all i say the furtherment of technology and the more help we as humans are able to recieve from the machines and devices we make can only be a good ting. I just think people have to look into the long term not the short to make technology completely safe.

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

Well considering everything I do on a daily basis requires technology I'd say yes, I am very attached to it. But I don't see what I would do without it. I do stuff on my computer, my cell phone, ipod, drive my car to get around, go to the gym where I use treadmills/machines, microwave, etc. People today have grown to use and develop things that make our lives easier and more entertaining with the technology we have.I don't think we are TOO attached, however. It is normal for us to develop new things. If need be, I would live in a hut and hunt for animals during my spare time. I wouldn't have a problem doing that, but while I still have all of these amazing things, I will continue to use them, and to create new things.

arkaninerenegade
arkaninerenegade
785 posts
Nomad

of course we have. i spend 15 hours a day on the computer, tv, video games and that kind of stuff, but know i only do 6 hours.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

of course we have. i spend 15 hours a day on the computer, tv, video games and that kind of stuff, but know i only do 6 hours.

Wow there arkaninerenegade seems like i need to introduce you to my frined. Hes called the Sun. Hes that big yellow thing thats really brigh when you look straight at it. And if you stay outside for long enough your skin goes a healthy brown colour!
kielzanie
kielzanie
473 posts
Nomad

of coarse a lot of people text message almost every second. i play games but i still play outside alot and keep myself fit. everything is alright, just dont over due it.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

We may be attached to technology but is this a bad thing? Not as long as we don't lose our senses!

Humans just involve through time, but really I think we are going too fast of a speed.

I still dislike

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Well I can actually answer that from my own personal experiences from three days ago,when a storm took out the electricity for my whole block.Pretty much everyone freaked out,and were all ticked off,and bored.That includes me,since everything in my house pretty much uses electricity.So outside of people who live in rural areas I would say yes we are too attached to electricity,and all types of technology.Really though technology is defined as anything that helps make your life easier.Like for instance you could say that shoes are a form of technology.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I was at an international conference at Deci in Sardinia. The keynote speaker was talking about the new technology being developed for military aircraft however the metaphor/story he used to describe technology seems to be very fitting here as it answers Draces question of technology going too fast. The point of the story is that technology increases exponentially much like the cumulative interest in bank accounts. Ie the more you discover the more you are able to discover and the faster you can do it. We have enetered the technological age. Anyway the story he used was that of a Western travveler in ancient China. He saved the emperor of Chinas daughter from being eaten by a tiger. The emperor granted him any wish he wanted. He asked if he could recieve a single grain of rice the next day which would continue to double after every subsequent day. The emperor granted him his wish and before a month had passed he already received over a million grains of rice. Neat story in my opinion. I think its a good example to show how fast technology is advancing. I personally disagree with Drcae. Tje faster the better i say. I would only object to technology developing at such a rate that we invent something so powerful its dangerous. I mean we have invented nuclear weapons and we arent all dead yet so i dont think we have much to worry about in the future.

Demonfire
Demonfire
76 posts
Nomad

phones and the web are our problems

Showing 76-90 of 100