ForumsThe Tavernwho will teach better? nice teachers or strict teachers?

114 45182
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

right now i have a nice teacher. and i think she has been my best teacher so far in life.

• 114 Replies
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Exactly!!! waiting for an answer for that GAGAMEN

peninnore
peninnore
173 posts
Nomad

Either. For me, a teacher who MOTIVATES the students regardless he/she is strict or nice, gets to impart more than any kind of teacher.

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

I thik you need some sort of balance. The two best teachers I ever had were mcgee and Mr. bodecombe (bod is god) tgheir styles wer fun with little work. McGee was only really a substitute cos our real teacher was away for a year after having surgery. When she got back she asked to see the work we'd sone and got blanck looks back. Mr. Bods style was to lock the door turn on the TV and have a nap (he was an R.E. teacher and I got A* in the exam) I learnt nothing but he was great. He could never be bothered to mark things so he would rate them onhow mych he liked the person. Strict teachers may teach you more but I don;t think you will learn as much beacsue you'll more likely resent them.

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

I don't know. I think most people would learn better from strict teachers, but I learn better from nice teachers. When a teacher is constantly saying "Shut up" the entire class is really pisses me off and I stop paying attention. They usually end up punishing the entire class and that pisses me off even more, because inevitably, more than half the class won't be paying attention anyway. When a teacher is polite about it, some people won't listen, but I do because I haven't lost respect for the teacher yet.

orion732
orion732
617 posts
Nomad

Well, you can't just have really nice or really strict teachers. A teacher needs to be nice, but also firm when dealing with rowdy students. I hate it when my teachers are all really nice and just let the kids do whatever they want. Also, there are the teachers who cannot discipline the students at all. Those are annoying.

Green12324
Green12324
4,097 posts
Peasant

A nice teacher can gain respect easier and will then be able to teach better. Strict teachers don't gain respect as easily most the time so kids goof off. Of course nice or strict is not the only factor of how much respect a teacher has.

Mike412
Mike412
332 posts
Nomad

Teachers who are strict usually end up being hated/disliked by students, which would cause more problems. Strict teachers usually think that by being strict they're preventing kids from acting out and being disruptive, but if they don't like the teacher they usually don't like the class and stuff like that happens more. A nice teacher that can be strict when necessary is probably best, I usually pay more attention when the teachers nice

HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

At the extreme ends of the spectrum, both really suck.

Strict teachers you don't learn anything from because they're too busy policing every small tiny thing & their lectures are far to serious.

Nice taechers you don't learn anything from because they don't cover the subject matter & want to be buddy buddy with all of the kids in class.

You definitely need a mix.

brooke_1997
brooke_1997
545 posts
Nomad

Hmmm.. both. Cus if its a nice teacher, you wouldnt get much homework and stuff so then you wouldnt learn much. But if you have a strict teacher.. then tooo much homework is bad.. so ill have a lil bit of both XP Thats the teacher i have right now xD

bigdaddyg
bigdaddyg
372 posts
Nomad

personally i think the strict teacher because the nice one would get walked all over and no one would respect. but most students would not pay attention to the strict one because they think he/she is mean or they would pay attention because he/she would punish them. for nice teacher more people would pay attention because shes nice, but also less people would pay attention because they know that the nice teacher won't do anything about it.

so it really depends on the type of strict or nice teacher.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

For me? Nice teachers who teach some, but not as much as a stricter teacher. Chances are I already know what they're teaching, and if not, I can always read it in the textbook or use Google. Of course, I still have problems with teachers who don't teach anything, but nicer and less strict teachers fit me better.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

actually, thisisnotanalt a nice teacher would probably teach better because strict teachers are so strict you would not want to even listen to that teacher.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Nice Teachers, they get the kid's attention and make him happy. If you are just going to be strict and piss kids off, they are going to make the extra effort not to work in your class.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

good answer King Ricador.

Green12324
Green12324
4,097 posts
Peasant

If you are just going to be strict and piss kids off, they are going to make the extra effort not to work in your class.

Exactly correct. My German teacher pretty much pisses everyone off, and me and a lot of other people make a point to not do anything in there.

The opposite would be my history teacher though. He's a lot of fun, but until recently he let people get away with way too much. Now he's become a bit more strict, but he's not too great at getting people under control. Yet he still manages to teacher well and we like him. One of my best teachers though is my English one and she is a lot of fun but at the same time doesn't let people get too out of control. By being cool (and nice) though she's earned our respect and only has to ask that we quiet down.
Showing 16-30 of 114