ForumsThe Tavernwho will teach better? nice teachers or strict teachers?

114 45204
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

right now i have a nice teacher. and i think she has been my best teacher so far in life.

• 114 Replies
Kyousuke
Kyousuke
50 posts
Nomad

I think it depends on the students in the classroom. To be a good teacher (in my books at least) they have to be a flexible person. If in one class you have students who are well-behaved,eager to learn, but are kind of clumsy/lazy then if your too strict with them it could discourage them from excelling. Now on the other hand you have students who are roudy or need a little push to get them to do things (this is not specifically aimed towards the students who are viewed as less gifted because sometimes an average or even a below average student can do great with proper guidance.)then go ahead and scold them a bit. It is all about getting the right mixture of strict and nice.

Austinn
Austinn
278 posts
Nomad

Both if the teachers to nice you know you will be able to get away with stuff such as not doing your home work talking in class ect but if the teacher is too mean the students will be afraid to ask for help and start to hate coming to school so a mixture of both is what ya need

chang
chang
846 posts
Nomad

None of the above
A smart teacher with a sense of humor who knows what he/or she is doing
Trust me the greatest teacher I have heard had was not necessarily strict or nice she was sorta of both. But at the same time she had a sense of humor and seemed to know everything whether it was in the textbook or not. I learned more in here class than I have my freshman year in high school but had fun and loved every minute of it at the same time. In fact her favorite country was Jabuti just because of the way it sounds and we did Yoga every Friday.

ExpoBanana
ExpoBanana
128 posts
Nomad

Nice teacher, but with a aura of authority... if that makes sence, lol, the students must respect, and listen to the teacher.

whereismymind1
whereismymind1
31 posts
Nomad

Strict teachers drive the lesson home more in my view.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

None of the above
A smart teacher with a sense of humor who knows what he/or she is doing
Trust me the greatest teacher I have heard had was not necessarily strict or nice she was sorta of both. But at the same time she had a sense of humor and seemed to know everything whether it was in the textbook or not. I learned more in here class than I have my freshman year in high school but had fun and loved every minute of it at the same time. In fact her favorite country was Jabuti just because of the way it sounds and we did Yoga every Friday.

Yes but thats doesn't happen a lot does. Not all teachers are balanced like that.
AcvilaRomana
AcvilaRomana
14 posts
Nomad

A kid!

allright88
allright88
154 posts
Nomad

nice teachers will teach great.
about strict:they will be good for below average students.because they show us the fear and we read. My brother,Hes thankful 4 the strich

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke
Roadripper
Roadripper
1,514 posts
Farmer

Nice teachers because the students will listen to him/her. It makes more sense if you think about it.

~RR~

Google567
Google567
4,013 posts
Farmer

If your to nice though they might slack off or take advatage of the situatation.

KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

i personally think that it should be a mix of both...Nice but firm...heres my reasoning and example for why i think this.

Currently i have a nice, fun, spanish teacher(2nd year having her). She tries to teach but she just can't, she just has fun with the class not really teaching us anything. We basically do nothing for 50minutes, and she was the same way last year. I fear, i have been deprived of an education regarding spanish -.- ...

The above is an example of an overly nice teacher.
Below is my "overly" strict teacher.

My US History teacher, is probably the worst teacher i personally have ever had, she is 100% a dictator in the classroom. She teaches us, but if one of us does something that she sees as rude, distracting, just not paying attention, etc. she goes off and yells at that student. Do we learn anything? i have no clue, because everyday she is going off on another student for not paying attention or asking a question that she had answered during her lecture. I, yet again have learned almost nothing in that class (grant it, it is more than i have learned in my spanish class).

There needs to be a balance on strict and nice teachers. Perfect example? My 6th-8th grade science teacher. In 6th grade we all hated him because we thought he was mean or strict. As time went on, it was clear he wasn't mean, he was just teaching us. That class was the most organized class i've had, he not only yelled at us and punished us "unfairly", but we all, including him, had fun learning. I remember "binder checks" constantly, which seemed horrible, but it really helped to keep us organized. If you got a D or lower on a test or quiz, you had to get it signed by your parent, which again seemed cruel and unjust, but that encouraged us to do better on the tests and quizzes. So overall i learned more than just science in his class, i learned life lessons that may have made him seem like a strict teacher at the time, but he was really a nice teacher, the best i had ever had.

So do you see how i would say that it has to be a mix between nice and strict?

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

My research had shown that a strict teacher is better, that is wise and experienced, but to me 75% strict is my choice now.

pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

Honestly, I would prefer a teacher who actually knows the subject that they are supposed to be teaching, my Algebra 2 teacher last year actually asked for help from the students one day because he didn't know a particular lesson.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Honestly, I would prefer a teacher who actually knows the subject that they are supposed to be teaching, my Algebra 2 teacher last year actually asked for help from the students one day because he didn't know a particular lesson.

Exactly what I am saying, wise, smart, experienced all of this
Showing 76-90 of 114