ForumsWEPRwhen is the end of the world

189 30427
imcol1
imcol1
29 posts
Nomad

ever since i heard the end of the world is comin are the true or not because its friggin me out

• 189 Replies
turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

yeah and i dont want the world to end i like it how it is

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

Well, are we talking about the end of the world or the end of the human race? I believe the latter will come much sooner than the former. Once humans are eradicated, the world will flourish, in my opinion....

We'll probably die of something stupid that we created, like some biological terorrist attack.

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

If a biological terrorist attack happens and it wipes us out it will most likely wipe out all life. The easiest way to tell when the world will end is when the sun implodes that will most definaitly end the world. If your going off that this earth has about a few million years give or take.

ballistic33
ballistic33
50 posts
Nomad

The mayans believed the world would end on december 23 2012, no joke. I dont believe it tho.

flashgamer233
flashgamer233
62 posts
Nomad

you know how in revelations it said the end of the world would come unexpected? well what if you were takin a crap and it suddenly just happened? that would really suck...if i arrived in heaven i'd ask God why he didnt let me finish my crap...but i bet he would a really good explanation for it

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

Everything has an end. Theend will come someday for our species, but there are infinite ways this can happen: sooner for example: pandemics, weather, overpopulation, global nuclear war, meteors, that giant rock that is supposed to maybe hit us in a decade. Later: sun expanding, evolve into another species because of extreme weather changes, ...infinite possibilities.

Supposedly the end of the world is supposed to come in 2012 in december, according to the Mayan Calendar (which is the most accurate calendar created by humans) it relies on positions of planets and stars as cycles. There are giant cycles, small cycles, etc, in it and at each end of a cycle there is a big occurence. the end of the first largest cycle is on that date, and some giant change is supposed to occur. Kinda creepy

whatever
whatever
55 posts
Nomad

In about 5 billion years the sun comes close enough to burn us to death, personally I don't believe in god so I don't believe what is says in the bible. I think we can also die because we destroy the world with war or global warming.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Oh, Flipski, ballistic, I'm shaking in my boots!

Exactly why is it necessary to believe that everything has an end, though? This strikes me as an epistemological stumbling point.

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

I'm not saying its necessary, because you do have a point. The statement "everything has an end" is not a fact. I'm just saying that I feel that everything has an end in some aspect, but it depends on your view of "the end" I see it not as the end of everything, I see it as more of a change from the status quo.

Haha, did I scare you? I didnt meant to try to sound as If I was being a moron trying to scare people. I'm just wondering, what if something does happen on that day in 2012, how would you feel, what would be your thoughts on this topic? just curious.

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

I really think our end will come with a pandemic. Right now we are saving every baby we can. This almost completely removes natural selection, we have medicines, etc. No one is dying nowadays, and we are not evolving (while viruses and bacteria are).

This is an ethics problem, and in our society it would be very difficult to say no, you need to die, or no you need to not reproduce so that we keep these defects from propagating.

Possibly the only way we could ever completely avoid a massive pandemic is with genetic engineering. to fix the problems that we have let spread through our genes, by allowing those with the defects to reproduce.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Nah Flip, I was being facetious :P I'm really not that concerned about my "impending doom", simply because it is not particularly useful to think about for me.

If something did happen, I'd want to know more about the calendar, provided, of course, that the "something" wasn't the end of life as we all knew it, lol.

This is an ethics problem, and in our society it would be very difficult to say no, you need to die, or no you need to not reproduce so that we keep these defects from propagating.

I love this post, so totally QFT. As a medical student pondering the significance of medical practice, this is the kind of quandrary that I face- I wonder exactly how the conditions and balances are changing with the ethos of "save everybody possible".

That said, it doesn't really matter that we're modulating our evolution with antimicrobial substances, seeing as viruses and bacteria etc. evolve much, much faster than humans do, by virtue of reproducing several orders of ten times faster than humans do. Obviously if we didn't have vaccines, antibiotics and to a lesser extent, antivirals, we'd have a much lower population than we do today, and we wouldn't even be discussing the repercussions of the recent advancements in medical treatment.

Some of my classmates feel that medicine ultimately involves some kind of eugenics, and though I wouldn't use quite a politically loaded term, inevitably the essentials still ring true.
Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

So you are saying that, although some are being cured by medicine, there is still a large enough affect on our evolution due to the fact that viruses and bacteria evolve so much faster?

Thats a very good point, and I have not looked at it that way before.

"Obviously if we didn't have vaccines, antibiotics and to a lesser extent, antivirals, we'd have a much lower population than we do today, and we wouldn't even be discussing the repercussions of the recent advancements in medical treatment".

What I meant by not using vaccines, etc. That maybe through natural selection, we would have developed immunities to these diseases. However, like you said, bacteria evolve very quickly, and our evolving immunities would not stand a chance at sustaining a population larger than that of the middle ages.

I think that Medicines allow us to have healthier, longer, and more enjoyable lives. But maybe some of the effects in the long run might not be the best.

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,611 posts
Jester

Well the only way I think the world will end is by Global Warming I have never heard of any other ways if there even is.Well it might be in a few billion years and we will never know bcause none of us would probaly be alive.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I think that Medicines allow us to have healthier, longer, and more enjoyable lives. But maybe some of the effects in the long run might not be the best.

Yes, I think this is very much the theme of more refined forms of neo-Malthusianism, as well as part of the motives for voluntary human extinction (which gets brought up quite a bit on these forums!) Now that science is caught up in the race for immortality, we're more pressed than ever to think of the sociological and environmental implications of such an ability as one that allows us to cheat death...and thus the voice that tells us that we ought to accept death as a part of life becomes stronger.
jokerxxx
jokerxxx
41 posts
Nomad

well, no one knows exactly the end of the world

Showing 136-150 of 189