ForumsWEPRHow is not being christain weird?

147 21420
daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

ok, so as ive posted before i am forced to go to church and all, well today i was going into the youth wing of the church and the usual greetings, same people etc. except today someone brought up something about all other religions are stupid, and everyone in them is stupid. well this made me very mad (because yes i am an athiest), and i said: what makes you so certain that god is true, and i tried to explain that they were not being fair, suddenly for some reason i was being called weird...by everyone. so i was spending the entire 3 hours i was there listening to people call me weird and trying to explain other views on life. so this is what i want to know, how is having another view on life weird?

• 147 Replies
daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

dirkpitt, its fine that you belive that, its just people bash other for almost no reason

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,283 posts
Jester

Yeah i agree with daswiftarrow, people bash for no reason it's like me telling him his shows a ugly!!! I mean how do I know?

connery55
connery55
14 posts
Nomad

People make fun of me all the time, on less basis than religion. I don't see why you all care so much. More relavent to the discusson, the bible itself bashes certain things. Anyone else interpret "throw rocks at gay people" as "throw rocks at gay people"? Old school Christians are brought up that way; just ignore them.

connery55
connery55
14 posts
Nomad

What homophobe decided to bleep out the word "gay". Stupid homophobe.

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

@connery55

When in the bible, does it talk about stoning g ay people? Can you tell me what chapters and book of the bible it is in?

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

Haha, I think Switch just got you! I also remember the pastor at my church talking about the first one you listed.

Skipper8656568
Skipper8656568
325 posts
Peasant

It is not, infact you should be proud that you are not i dont htink that you should be forced there that is exactly like hitlers nazi camp for teens I think that you should go strait up to your parent and tell them that you are not going ( I did that ) I wont nesserly make you a heritic (unless you want to be called one) Just make you standing up for what you belive in ,which is apperently NOT christanity, in fact it is not that uncommon to find many people who were in your postioin (were forced to go to church) If you can put up with it now ( which i could not ) or just live with it till you move out and Reject it forever.

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

@XCoheedX

I wasn't saying that there was no proof that there was nothing about g_ay's in the bible, i was just curious as to where it said stuff about g_ays in the bible because i have never read anything about it... So he didn't really "get me" he just answered my question =P

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

Ohh haha, I understand! I actually didn't know either, until the pastor at my church said it in a homily.

Niceguy878
Niceguy878
220 posts
Nomad

Eh, not the spot I really care about dealing with. Religion is the reason wars begin. Not that I believe everyone who is christian or muslim is evil or anything like that. Think about Hitler, millions of people died because ONE person didn't agree with it. Same thing applies with the war in Iraq/ Middle East. But, if christianity makes people happy, so be it. Please, don't get upset over my views, they're just opinions of how I see things.

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

Not ALL wars are started over religion. Religion doesn't even play a big role with the war in Iraq.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

[Unders my post to the topic]/

Religion isn't the reason Wars begin. To be honest, Iran wouldn't be helping out Iraq, the Sunni Shi'ia divide would have killed the two. The eastern countries would by smashing into central Asia, while Europe Gangs up on itself. Then, we would have heck.
Hitler is different, he was a nut, considered to by physco, and last but not least he was an Egomaniac. If you think your better than god, you can choose to do whatever the heck you like and blame it on something as dull as race.

Also, Iraq has nothing to do with religion, after all, its something to blame. In all honest truth, Religion is answer and way of life, so it doesn't matter as long as its tolerable. Which most religions are. Therefor, The real reason is for power and want. After all, if you can get snipers and RPG's in a worn down country like Iraq... why not just take over it? Sounds logical, exactly whats happening. Why were inside, I have no idea.

Well, usually, at some Churches, along with just about anything else [Temples, Mosques, synogauges], just about everything there are some that go a bit farther than the average :P So, they have a good stuck out Idea why their religion is greater. Which is Okay, if you follow one than obviously you'll think yours is betterer. Also, since you were in Church, Forced to go to Church, you were primarily a "Christian" -- as such, at that moment in time you saying "Well, thats not fair, other people don't think God exists -- and heres why. (list goes on)"

Also, here, not being Christian goes against what every body else does. For example, if someone awesome does something, its followed, whoever doesn't follow dies. xP
Kinda how Fashion works, if you have that kind of mind. [I really don't. xP]

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

I certainly understand where you're coming from, daswiftarrow. I am constantly told by people that I will eventually "see the way" and find god. People constantly make references to god in their everyday speech, for example just today someone said to someone else "Oh, Jesus must be smiling down upon you" referring to some good luck the person had. I see billboards around town that promote a Christian God and Jesus. But if I make a comment about there being no god, I would get reamed! Very very few people who I have met know that I'm an atheist because I just don't want to hear how much god loves me. There's a terrible double standard in America when it comes to religion. You're in a really rough position since it doesn't seem you have much of a choice whether or not you go to church.
You might consider approaching your parents about it, although the ramifications could be worse than what you're having to deal with now. You could present the argument that you don't believe in a god and nothing - not even going to church - will change that. Then mention that it's probably more insulting to their god for you to just "go through the motions" rather than just not going to church at all. Also mention that you're being picked on as a result of your beliefs, and hopefully your parents won't make you endure this scenario.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
638 posts
Peasant

A Christian speaking:
believe whatever you want. I don't like people who discriminate on grounds of religion. There is a lot of evidence backing Christianity, like historical facts, modern miracles, etc. But then it cannot be proven "beyond a reasonable doubt" that God exists. I believe 100% in him, but others might not. I do not know what God is, but others might have ideas. While people can try to convert you, they cannot force you to listen to them.
[However, I would suggest going on some Christianity historical background sites. I don't mean the ones with the corny reflection papers.]
^ that is me trying to convert you, without insulting you, telling you that you are wrong, or forcing you. That is how it should be done.
A very smart friend told me this once: ["] I actually think atheists are the most religious people, because to believe that there is no God against all the evidence takes faith. ["]

hojoko
hojoko
510 posts
Peasant

@Daswiftarrow
Personally, I'm astounded that anyone would call you wierd for your beliefs. Where I come from (Pacific NW) everyone has their own beliefs, and nobody gets called names or anything because of that. For example, I hear all this bad stuff about vegetarianism here, but where I come from, nobody really cares. It's the same with religion. So, I am astounded.

Showing 61-75 of 147