ForumsWEPRBuilding a Mosque at Ground Zero

344 57248
mdv96
mdv96
1,017 posts
Nomad

What do you think about this? I feel that it should not be built at ground zero because I find that extremely disrespectful to the families and victims of that infamous day.

• 344 Replies
shadowfyre541
shadowfyre541
61 posts
Peasant

If a mosque really is nearby, it shouldn't matter, because as everyone should already know, just because those terrorists were Muslims doesn't mean all Muslims are terrorists. It shouldn't offend anyone.

NiteStryker
NiteStryker
144 posts
Nomad

I think they shouldn't

Greybox
Greybox
53 posts
Nomad

I don't think the people that would visit the mosque would be responsible for the incident would they? It would simply show the terrorists really how strong America is.

Fluid
Fluid
58 posts
Farmer

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/38731398#38731398

Nuff said.

Fluid
Fluid
58 posts
Farmer

[url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/38731398#38731398]

Nuff said.

(also, mods please delete the fail post above, and this note if you would be so kind)

mdv96
mdv96
1,017 posts
Nomad

double fail dude, i'm not gunna watch that guy blab on for 12 minutes about how americans are racist. WE ARE NOT SAYING YOU CAN'T BE MUSLIM!! IT IS NOT A MATTER OF RELIGIOUS FREEDOM, ITS SENSITIVITY!!!
There are already plenty of Mosques in Manhattan and another 2 blocks away from ground zero is insensitive.

Fluid
Fluid
58 posts
Farmer

Well I you had watched the video you'd see the &quotlenty of Mosques" you're mentioning here, ant the state of it. Or you're aware of more Muslim centers in the NY area?

And while we're talking about sensitivity, there is such a thing as being overly sensitive. It is often reflected on forums by usage of caps.

rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

double fail dude, i'm not gunna watch that guy blab on for 12 minutes about how americans are racist. WE ARE NOT SAYING YOU CAN'T BE MUSLIM!! IT IS NOT A MATTER OF RELIGIOUS FREEDOM, ITS SENSITIVITY!!!
There are already plenty of Mosques in Manhattan and another 2 blocks away from ground zero is insensitive.

If its not about religion, how is it in any way insensitive? If you limit freedom in certain situations, its no longer freedom.
Craze77
Craze77
813 posts
Peasant

I think it is a horrible idea. I agree with what Bill O'Reilly said bout it on the View the other day

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

muslims build mosques where they have conquered. I find it EXTREMELY disrespectful to ALL of America to build a mosque right there, where MUSLIMS, and no, im not being racist, it actually happened, killed thousands of americans because they think 'Allah' wants them to. And the guy building the mosque? You find out for yourself.

You're not being racist, you're being stupid. This is nowhere near a mosque, and the rules that define what is or isn't a mosque are MUCH more important to a devout Muslim than they are to an ignorant American. And it wasn't Muslims. The extremists do NOT follow Islam at all, they use it as an excuse and a firestorm shield. They represent Islam as much as Eric Rudolph represents Christianity.

I think the community center is a bad idea because it's drawing so much hate and controversy against Islam as a whole, and will probably be subject to a terrorist attack from the hyperconservative citizens of NYC soon after it opens. It's not a good idea, but there's nothing that makes it directly or intentionally disrespectful and nothing that should allow anybody to stop it from going through. It's a matter of can do it, but shouldn't - this guy can built this community center, but it's a bad idea.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

yes, they do follow islam, in fact, in the koran, it says to kill people who aren't muslim

By that I meant that they throw out a lot of the core tenets of Islam in favor of following the violent statements. There're violent statements like that in all religious texts - and always the core tenets contradict them. These guys just so happen to be throwing the defining traits of the religion out of the window in favor of killing people, using religion as an excuse.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I think a better comparison would be to say the terrorists were as much Muslims as the Westboro Baptist Church are Christians. While both base there beliefs from their respective religions they are not representative of that religion as a whole.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Not really. Islamic extremists represent the beliefs of about 0.0000001% (if that) of the Muslim community as a whole.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

They represent a pretty big majority though.

Oh not at all, every fifth person in the world is Muslim, if radical were in the majority don't you think the world would look a little different?

I think a better comparison would be to say the terrorists were as much Muslims as the Westboro Baptist Church are Christians.

Basically but I would argue there are more radical Muslims than Christians; or at least or militant radical Muslims.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

They represent a pretty big majority though.

No, they don't. The extremists are an extremely small niche group compared to the entire religion of Islam. And the WBC is a good example, yes.
Showing 301-315 of 344