ForumsWEPRCalifornia Prop 8 Overturned

98 18500
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

That's right folks, Proposition 8 - the ban on Gay marriage in California has been Overturned by a federal judge today:

Here's the Link

So - this could have potentially nationwide ramifications for Gay marriage and the banning thereof.

What are your views on the overturning? Do you think this could affect the rules on Gay marriage throughout the USA? Is this the breakdown of society and the coming of the end?

Personally - I think this is one of the best things that could ever have happened in California and it's effects on the whole of the USA could change the country forever.

• 98 Replies
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

I say it's about damn time. Hopefully this, coupled with the ruling from Massachusetts, will get same-sex marriage addressed at a federal level and have equal rights granted to same sex couples in every state.

bloonkiller
bloonkiller
158 posts
Nomad

Damn opened this thinking of the marijana law, but thats not going to be voted on until later. Personally I have nothing against gay marriage although if a gay couple is trying to raise a family it could lead to the kids being bullied.

deserteagle
deserteagle
1,633 posts
Nomad

I live in CA, and the local news didn't announce anything about it, weird.

anyway, I'm glad that people could have a chance of being happy.

Snakebite
Snakebite
996 posts
Nomad

It's about time the government gets out of our bedrooms. I have nothing against homosexuality or gay marriage.

although if a gay couple is trying to raise a family it could lead to the kids being bullied.

There's ways to keep this from happening already. Schools just need to stop turning a blind eye to harassment.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

And parents need to stop imbuing their children with their own prejudices.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

I'm sorry to double post here but I just thought I'd add a second source to confirm the earlier articles veracity:

And this time? It's reuters.

Aaliyah928
Aaliyah928
252 posts
Nomad

This is huge! Maybe gay people will someday be accepted as equals. I hope so, I am straight, but some of the gay people I have met are the nicest I ever have. Hopefully the entire country and someday world will accept gay marriages.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Way to go Judge Walker!

You know there is likely going to be blow back from certain groups against such matters.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Here's the full text of the ruling.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/35374462/Prop-8-Ruling-FINAL

If it just shows as blank boxes on the screen, right click and select reload.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Oh. Good to know all of nonsense is sorted out. Hopefully this marks the beginning of rapid change on a federal level. If not, we'll just keep on gaining momentum slowly. Not much else to say as of now.

/ecstatic.

RoabertG
RoabertG
23 posts
Nomad

Am I the only one who is not happy?
The people of California voted TWICE on whether or not marraige should only be between a man and a woman and TWICE they voted to say that marraige should only be between a man and a woman! Its not like I am anti-gay but pro-constitution! the Judicial branch has no right to override the decision of the voters in this case.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Am I the only one who is not happy?
The people of California voted TWICE on whether or not marraige should only be between a man and a woman and TWICE they voted to say that marraige should only be between a man and a woman! Its not like I am anti-gay but pro-constitution! the Judicial branch has no right to override the decision of the voters in this case.

Get used to it. We live in a republic. Meaning that a few basic things are protected. We can't pass a law that says "Killing a *insert race here* people will not result in punishment" law as it goes against the good ol' constitution. They could vote on it a thousand times and the constitution will stand strong... That is its job, isn't it?
Femm
Femm
42 posts
Farmer

I am ecstatic!

Its not like I am anti-gay but pro-constitution!

Funny, because the District Court Judge found the ban on gay marriage unconstitutional.
tehpwner
tehpwner
266 posts
Nomad

Ok, time to settle this once and for all. I have nothing wrong with Gay couples, even though i am homophobic. Marriage SHOULD be between a Man and a Woman, but they should make another way of legally joining a couple so gays can live in peace. And i do seriously pray for straight children of gay couples who wish to live normal lives. It must suck, no offense to anyone.

BeastMode10
BeastMode10
374 posts
Nomad

I have nothing wrong with Gay couples, even though i am homophobic.

That means you have something wrong with gay couples.

Marriage SHOULD be between a Man and a Woman

And reasons why? Just because you're uncomfortable towards gays doesn't mean that your own views should impede another individuals happiness.

but they should make another way of legally joining a couple so gays can live in peace.

The only legal way of joining a couple that we're going to see is marriage. And its unconstitutional for gays to receive unequal treatment in the form of a different type of marriage based on their own lifestyle.

And i do seriously pray for straight children of gay couples who wish to live normal lives. It must suck, no offense to anyone.

Aw crap, not another Bible-belting creationist >_> It probably does suck for them, but they can't be forced to be gay (I hope).
Showing 1-15 of 98