ForumsGameswarlords 2: Rise of the demons

209 81371
Shenko
Shenko
1,059 posts
Treasurer

I just beat warlords two
its pretty awesome
i played as the undead and i used the same strat as in the first one and i beat it without a problem

• 209 Replies
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

However, now I think it's a little silly that they stop firing after a certain range and simply lumber over to their deaths.

Well, if they could throw from any distance it'd make them overpowered. Pretty silly but still.

With cavalry easily knocking them down like ninepins, cavalry become very difficult to counter effectively.

I usually let a mounted soldier run over one of my halberdiers, to be greeted by three or four more a while later. Makes for good cavalry slaughter. I usually find halberdiering difficult against those pesky throwing axemen. My main problem when it comes to halberdiers is the range vulnerability.

Magic casters are totally worthless.

I have to agree with you on that one.

although I didn't like using the siege works because they simply weren't effective enough.

Yep.

Has anyone tried the wood elf rangers yet?

Nah, I haven't. I've been drawn to the Human Alliance and the Undead. Great game by the way, I love it.

Fix'd.
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

Ok i am playing as the humans, fully upgraded swordsman, and exterminating the undead... but one problem: their scythes are pwning my swordsmen even with the full upgrades, and they have the better weapon. i try to counter with archers and spearmen, but then they just send their own archers and axmen to counter D:. the timer is ticking down, and i am more or less losing even with the charges and getting more kills...
advice?

The good thing about Warlords 2 is that you need a balance in Warlords 2. You can't spec Men of the West (or Human Alliance) and waltz through with any one unit.
I suggest unique units, including Scythe Whirlers, Spearmasters, Giant Trolls and Demons, Javelin Throwers (maybe just an archer), Throwing Axemen, Rock Throwers, Clubbers and etc. You should either use 1 or 2 Hammermen (or King's Guard) to break through them.
Basic units including Spearmen, Axemen, Halberiers, Swordsmen, Mounted Units, and etc (however not ranged units in all cases) will not prove effective.

That should answer
but how do i counter the scythes??? they are the main reason i am losing...

well scythes are the same thing as halbeirds
so fight fire with fire i guess
upgrade your halbeirds too
every time they make a scyth counter with two of your halbeirds

This would. Usually, work. However if you look at the skill adapted by Scythe users (as well as other unique units), as well as their armor in comparison to a halberdier, that is a no go.

Scythes are just plain annoying. They chop up my spearman like my mom chopping carrot. Battle mage could help, I presume, I never tried though. Or else just pile up axeman, axeman advances while attacking so they could get more hit in than swordman before dying (the swordman just gets pushed away by the attack).

Investigate a bit. A hammerman has longer range than presumed by the maker, it seems as he is able to literally smash the enemy - usually winning after that happens enough times. Also he has exceptional armor, possibly the highest in the game!

Oh wait, we are talking about normal scythes? I thought we are talking about scythe whirler. I use warrior monk to beat halbeirds in general. Warrior monk is almost made to counter halbeird.

A spearman does the same.
No offense to any of you, but don't you read at least some of their statistics?
Spearman:
30% Bonus on Archers and Halberdiers, as well as Axemen.
Axemen:
50% Bonus on Halberdiers (effectively the best).
Swordsmen:
50% Bonus on Archer and Spearman. Or 30%, does it matter?!
Halberdier:
30% Bonus on Swordsmen and Mounted Units.
Spearmaster:
50% Bonus on Spearmen and Swordsmen, I think. :P
Archer:
No bonuses, however given its rapid fire and the situation (e.g if they've large range to cover), they're definately worth it.

Those are simply bonuses I can immediately remember, I don't attempt learning all of them, or remember them
Point is, look at them, they are made to counter specific units, which is why it would be more efficient if you quickly calculate the speed of a unit and which one of yours should be going first.
Such as:

Enemey Halberdier moves in first, accompanied by a Spearman shortly after however not straight after because it's an annoying AI.
What do you send in first? A spearman to attack the Halberdier, 1/4 across the map with an enemy Spearman catching up pretty quickly, or a Swordsman to defeat the spearman and open up the Halberdier to a Spearman later (as sending a spearman will introduce a cringe whereas both fight the spearman, which is actually a good thing. )?

Spearman for most enemies (bowmen, halberdiers, etc.), spear charge is very useful against any ranged unit

It is very useful, but don't underestimate AI.
The AI calculates where you will be when the arrow falls by your speed. So if your high speed spearmen charge it, it will still be damaged, so it may be best to wait for it to get to close where it's beyond minimum range.
Swordsmen with a shield raised will to better as it's also a good bodyguard for ranged units, thus nulifying its disadvantages significantly.

Spearmen charge on an Axemen may not win. I feel this needs to be changed pretty soon, please.

Swordman mainly just to counter spearman, special ability not that useful since it's best against ranged units and spearmen can do the same job but quicker and cheaper (less time to recharge)

It depends, if they are used only to counter spearmen, but an archer is backing it up (though by minimal range), then a protected swordsman can close the range on a spearmen with immunity to the archer, and making its minimum range surpassed, opening the spearman up to die with a full health swordsmen, and we all know the archers are like paper in melee range.

Halberdiers to counter swordsmen quickly (they recharge quickly and wreck swordsmen with huge range), also good against stuff like giant demons which are strong vs both Spearmen and Swordsmen

They're good against Demons?
I didn't know that. I think I'll try it out.
But they have low health, wouldn't that mean you'd lose a multitude of them by taking a demon down? If so, then that's not my style... :/
I use my unique unit (usually Hammerman) and archers to annihilate demons, it's also good for survivability standards as well as making a stable lane for fighting in - that's where I'm best.

Ladderman obviously for taking down castles

Haha yeah. My tactic used to be to destroy any resistance with Hammermen, then make a Charge with Sprinting Laddermen, open it up, and then any ladder that got through (in which case many should have), I focus on a single one of them. This automatically forces the enemy to attack the Hammermen, opening up another charge and significant gain in points. Think about it this way, before the timer got to its first quarter, I won. :P

King's Guard for just... everything.

Hell to the yeah.

Basic strategy for me in battle (non-castles) is just spam spearmen, they are effective against a lot of units, move quickly, and produce quickly, put them in every lane (makes the battle end quickly), if the enemy starts countering with say... swordsmen, I'll put out some halberdiers, if they use spearmen or mounted units I'll use halberdiers. King's guard is just good against everything, I'll put it in a tough "lane" with lots of enemies knowing that it'll mop up. Also I always use "Q" with King's Guards, since faceroll when in every lane.

Hahaha.
It's the opposite for me, I fight the enemy head on. If they send a unit I send a unique one (I pretty much stick to unique units unless I need quick backup). I usually use this to break through slowly but surely and to ensure a Charge can be made quicker.

Could someone please explain why my expensive archmage is bugged and NEVER casts a spell? -.-

Indeed, it's a bug. It has to be in any case.
I don't know what's wrong with it, it may be as simple as a spell activation not triggering.

m not sure whats happens with the magic casters, but I will look at it this week and get them working. Its a shame that theres been a problwm with them because the spells can be pretty awesome.

As I've seen in the trailer, thanks djstatika!

another good way of taking out halberds/sythes is getting the spearmans special attack. When using it their first hit is very powerful and can often just kill a halberdier on the first hit.

I attempted that as well, they seem fragile to a spear charge.
My I ask, does the spear charge enhance damage because it (seems to be) a locational attack (aka, the head)?

Has anyone tried the wood elf rangers yet? they actually have guided arrows that never miss, they are very dangerous. In fact wood elves are very cool in this game as they have the double swordsmen and the log launchers (very long ranged)

Wow. I'm trying them next! It would've been nice (and no offense) if you'd given them a slightly better upgrade other than speed.
Maybe attack speed? I figure that would be kind of cool as a Possessed Royal Guardian on Warlords Heroes had that feature (as well as distancing himself) and the duel-swordsmen can be better with it as well.

And I would have to say the best unit is shieldman- Not only are those things near-indestructible, but you can spam them to! Range units are rendered useless and a group of them can take down pretty much anything, other than another large group...

Being as I annihilated the first game using Men of the West, I immediately considered using these too!
I like that they have a fluent mix of units that will enable good offense and defense capabilities.
Shieldmen do fall to one thing that I know of currently, and I am sorry for bringing this up again
Hammermen!
A single Hammerman (and if you want make sure 2 archers) can easily kill a Shield man, by opening him up by attacking the near infinite-health hammerman (highest in the game, if I remember correctly) as he smashes him to the ground as archers also pinch in a few more points as he struck the hammerman.
However for AI these are definately the best, their bonuses against Spearmen and Swordsmen are incredible, and ranged units stand nothing more of a chance in hell.

Shieldmen are men of the west right? I was thinking about doing a run through with them just because their javelin thrower can kill a king's guard in two shots.

No way... Are you sure? :O

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this glitch, but I finished the campaign with mountain trolls. I've started with demons, but my demons have started in mountain troll territory, and every other area is filled with enemy trolls (the difficulty of the trolls in the demon area is 57%). This has produced some strange enemies, such as troll whirlers.

Same happened with me and the Human Alliance. I am sure this is supposed to happen. It's basically that the race you won with got all other races to join (thus making reasons of troll Whirlers / Spearmasters and the ending of their campaign, showing blue humans and red orcs going home together) owns all the land, and the specific land has specific units.

1. The ranged units received a very welcome nerf from the original, especially those freakin' axe and javelin throwers. However, now I think it's a little silly that they stop firing after a certain range and simply lumber over to their deaths.

Nerf? I think they've been enhanced amazingly! I never... EVER used an archer in the first because of its incredibly bad accuracy and the little damage it does per shot.
And yes, if they distanced themselves that would be very fun.

Will djstatika be able to make it a little more commandable? Possibly controlling a unit to use a specific move which needs to charge up (Sorcerer Instant Death) to do so?

2. Halberdiers are extremely powerful against footsoldiers, but uniquely weak against the units they were meant to counter. With cavalry easily knocking them down like ninepins, cavalry become very difficult to counter effectively. I like the charge bonus, but perhaps it could take a little longer to charge? On the other hand, spearmen are meant to be a semi-counter to halberdiers, but they invariably get swallowed up by superior damage, even with the bonus.

Halberdiers are for Swordsmen and Mounted units only.
Axemen get a 50% bonus against them. Ouch!
Spearmen get a 30% bonus against then. Yikes...
Halberdiers need to be grouped in 2's or 3's to defeat a mounted unit because of its painful charge which, as you say knock them over. They don't die though, so if you can trap one with 3 halberdiers you could possibly sink them through enemy lines for essentially free.

3. Axemen are incredibly powerful units as well, and they're not particularly counterable unless you send cavalry or a special unit. Unfortunately, they are much more cost-effective than those units. Spears are supposed to counter them, but their middling armor means that a single axeman will eat them up. Swordsmen fare a little better, but still not quite the counter they could have been.

I feel the same as well, a Spear Charge could still lose to an Axeman, which is quite terrible. Maybe if they give a higher bonus against Axemen (maybe to the point of a 1v1 being successful? Please? ) it would balance the game more. Please do so djstatika :P

4. Magic casters are totally worthless. They simply don't do anything useful. Unpredictable doesn't even begin to cut it. You spend a lengthy preparation time just to see them fall at the hands of a single spear. I think the only way it could have been improved if it became player controlled, but even then that would be difficult to do.

I agree.

hey destroyre101 i have the same problem except i beat the game 1st with undead and then with the demons and finally with the humans. When i was the demons the undead had control of everything i didn't so thats a problem. That also ment that if the undead were in men of west territory they would have undead javelin throwers and if they were in demon territory they had giant demons. THe game is awesome but the Arnolds I have to say suck. They move like snails and get wasted by archers/battlemages. Whenever i swapn a minigunner to get rid of battlemages the archers kill it. Also the arnolds just basically have med range units except for the hailberders but they arnt very good.Great game but with glitches and difficulties.(even on easy my arnolds got owned by archer)

Arnolds I think are supposed to walkover all the others. Which they did for me. All you need to do is spam a drone to whatever unit it faces. One drill of shooting and the unit is dead, and the Archer won't hit it because it slows down before it kills it.
Drone is the best due to lower time to do than a tank, does damage to a castle and its insane damage!

Thank you djstatika! Also, may I ask, it appeared the Mountain Trolls had 3 unique units:
The Clubber
The Rock Thrower
Giant Troll
May I ask, what gives? xD
Oh and if you count spellcasters, Ice Conjuror.
In either case, they get one more unique unit than others. :O

I will also say that the first 2 are actually a great mix! Nice job dude.
(Especially given their race bonus.)

- H
djstatika
djstatika
19 posts
Nomad

Just because something has a bonus against another doesnt necessarily mean its supposed to be the main counter. With halberds, the main counter was supposed to be the archers. I just thought I would give spearmen and axemen a little bonus just to help a bit if you dont manage to get the halberds with an archer.

The mountain trolls do have 3 because I asked my artist to do a club but forgot about it, so I made the rock thrower, and then he snet me the club, so I made a clubber too, and it seemed waste to leave out the rock thrower

checker702
checker702
211 posts
Nomad

its an awesome game

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

Just because something has a bonus against another doesnt necessarily mean its supposed to be the main counter. With halberds, the main counter was supposed to be the archers. I just thought I would give spearmen and axemen a little bonus just to help a bit if you dont manage to get the halberds with an archer.

Oh. Woops :P
Sorry dj
I've never viewed Archers as a counter to Halberdiers, of course, I can easily see why, Halberds have little health and very low speed.
djstatika, and this is just a suggestion :P But, I think you should add an attack bonus for archers to halberds as they are not used all that often (of course why would they too much, because after the distance is closed they simply walk into their deaths :/ ), by me at least
I do use them however to defeat mages and sometimes other archers, depending on the amount of units in the specific lane.

However I did find significantly more use for them than in the first one (as I did every other basic unit! Woot ) and for that I am glad.

The mountain trolls do have 3 because I asked my artist to do a club but forgot about it, so I made the rock thrower, and then he snet me the club, so I made a clubber too, and it seemed waste to leave out the rock thrower

Ha. Cool
There is one question I have left though
You appear to use the same model for every unit, with geosets overlapping on units depending on their type (as well as animations, of course).
They look identical to ones on Warlord Heroes, so, my question is.
Is the Giant Demon from Warlords 2 the same model with different appearance to the end boss of Warlords Heroes?

Also congratulations on getting your Achilles game to appear on TV!
And sorry for wall of text in page 5 xD didn't realise it was that big. :O

its an awesome game

I would probably be better off saying this. :P

- H
djstatika
djstatika
19 posts
Nomad

djstatika, and this is just a suggestion :P But, I think you should add an attack bonus for archers to halberds as they are not used all that often

i will consider that, it might make things a bit clearer if nothing else.

Is the Giant Demon from Warlords 2 the same model with different appearance to the end boss of Warlords Heroes?

yep although I took out the kick because it looked silly.
SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

Halberdiers to counter swordsmen quickly (they recharge quickly and wreck swordsmen with huge range), also good against stuff like giant demons which are strong vs both Spearmen and Swordsmen

They're good against Demons?

my best strategy for taking down demons is spamming spear cavlar,y as they attack fast and are pishem them backwards, giving me more time to spawn more cavalry as well as taking advantage of the demon's slow speed. Not sure why but i never did master killing the giant trolls though, something about thmem that makes them more difficult...
Shenko
Shenko
1,059 posts
Treasurer

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this glitch, but I finished the campaign with mountain trolls. I've started with demons, but my demons have started in mountain troll territory, and every other area is filled with enemy trolls (the difficulty of the trolls in the demon area is 57%). This has produced some strange enemies, such as troll whirlers.

i think they purposely did that
Sporemaniac777
Sporemaniac777
1,373 posts
Nomad

I first time played with the human alliance, I won easily and defeated the Demons easily very early in the game. When I unlocked the demons, I won with them easily too. The stupid AI didnt send King guards when I played against them, only 2 or 3...

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

i will consider that, it might make things a bit clearer if nothing else.

It will certainly clear things up, dj
Thank you

yep although I took out the kick because it looked silly.

Heh heh heh. I remember that, was painfully annoying too :P
I might as well mention that I really like Warlords Heroes as well, it was very nice how the units and heroes are very familiar to those on the original game!

my best strategy for taking down demons is spamming spear cavlar,y as they attack fast and are pishem them backwards, giving me more time to spawn more cavalry as well as taking advantage of the demon's slow speed. Not sure why but i never did master killing the giant trolls though, something about thmem that makes them more difficult...

I've never had a solid strategy against the biggest enemies, so I may find use in the mounted soldiers afterall.

Hey dj! Do you have a specific roll for mounted units besides driving the enemy back and / or breaking through a weak enemy line (1 unit to tackle it).
If those are the two, then (and again this is only my puny opinion :P ) I disagree with the first one being as hard-counters with good strategy doesn't require that (I certainly didn't), also the second one is fairly flawed as beating past a Halberdier and then getting through, only for it to backlash as the Halberdier would gain back those lost points. Why not spend less time getting a Spearman, eh?

My suggestion is for them to have a bonus against heavy units, as Halberdiers can be easily countered by backup archers, and unique units take significantly too long to train, opening up all other lanes to agile or exceptionally tough units.

Maybe that was what heavy units are intended for, I don't know. If so, then nevermind all of this . If not, then consider this :P

- H
checker702
checker702
211 posts
Nomad

its an easy game

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

its an easy game

What difficulty?
It's a shame they don't appear to counter your units that counter there's. It will be very tense, and if it is input (which is unlikely) that would be awesome.

- H
djstatika
djstatika
19 posts
Nomad

Hey dj! Do you have a specific roll for mounted units besides driving the enemy back and / or breaking through a weak enemy line (1 unit to tackle it).

They have a few uses, driving back the enemy can be really useful for buying you more time, also if you are using archers, then it can help keep enemy units within archer range.

Also a mounted charge is a formidable thing. If in the dying seconds you are losing by 2 or 3, then a mounted charge will almost certainly win it for you as to block a mounted unit you need at least 2 standard units, maybe halberdiers or swordmens, but 2 spearmen wouldnt do it.

Halberdiers have a bonus against mounted units, so mounted units are a bad choice to use against halberdiers.

Heavy units all have the downside that they take a while to make, and if you only use heavy units then they may well win just by sending through more weaker units. Heavy units are in general are useful to boosts a cluster of standard units. But the heavy units are all different really anyway.

It's a shame they don't appear to counter your units that counter there's. It will be very tense, and if it is input (which is unlikely) that would be awesome.

At the harder difficulties then they will try to counter your units.
Shenko
Shenko
1,059 posts
Treasurer

hey dj submit dragon fist 3
thats an awesome game

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

Shieldmen are men of the west right? I was thinking about doing a run through with them just because their javelin thrower can kill a king's guard in two shots.

No way... Are you sure? :O

Quite sure. In fact I lost several king's guards to them like this. Was incrediably frusturating. Probably gonna use some hammermen now after all that I read about them.
Showing 46-60 of 209