ForumsWEPRMormonism

428 87161
Linktopast30
Linktopast30
109 posts
Jester

I'm starting this topic to "continue" a conversation started in the Christians vs. Catholics thread. I will include some of the details from there, but the rest are up to anyone new to read up on. I will specifically post the contents of one post, more or less.

We did not baptize Adolf Hitler. That is a lie. After people baptized for Obama's mother, an official release was sent out saying that unless you specifically know the person who's name you are bringing in to do temple work for (not the names that they already have) or they are in your family, you cannot do temple work for them.

We are not barred from being around ex Mormons. We do not necessarily believe they are with Satan. We excommunicate people for their good. In our views, it gives them a second chance. They can rejoin the church later, and their sins will be gone, just as they were when they were first baptized. I know many ex Mormons, and I do not get in trouble for being with them.

South Park is in no way an authority on anything. The fact that you're trying to cite that is pathetic.

Yes, there was polygamy. But it was revoked in the 1890's (even if only for legal reasons). Joseph Smith did not try to burn down a newspaper place. He was taken to jail for no real reason. If he shot back, it was only because they were shooting at him.

The reason non members are not allowed in the temple is because of the sacred things that go on in there. If just anyone was allowed in, the spirit would be disrupted. I will expound on this if needs be.

I am personally ashamed of the acts of other Latter-Day Saints who have done temple work for people without permission from relatives of that person. It is wrong, and we know it.

Tithing... It was actually in Christ's day when it started. The only reason it affects our worthiness to enter the temple (not our standing in general). The Lord gave us everything we have, and all he asks is 10% of what we earn. I'd say that's a pretty small price for life, liberty, and happiness.

Also, we believe in Agency and Accountability. You can choose to do what you want, but you will have to accept the consequences.

I have a testimony of Jesus Christ. He is my savior and my redeemer. I believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and that Thomas S. Monson is the living prophet today. I believe the Bible to be true as far as it is correctly translated. I know that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can be forgiven for our sins and return to live with our Heavenly Father. I have seen the Atonement in action in my life. I know that God listens to all prayers to him. He answers them in his own way. I know that I can make it to the Celestial Kingdom if I but do my best to keep the commandments of God.

• 428 Replies
Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

No I was implying that this Omnipotent Being would go 'Kazam!' and turn us all into religious zombies because he can, seeing as that's a lot easier than just saying 'Hi I'm god' and waiting for people to believe it.
That's why I think actual knowledge would kill free will, seeing as I'm sure God can do whatever he wants so he could turn us into a religion or whatever since he can make miracles happen. That's all i meant.

So, when it says people should spread the knowledge, I think it means it is up to Christians to help others follow into the right path and not be an isolated religion. If God wanted to do it he'd just make us his zombie army that does what he wants.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

No I was implying that this Omnipotent Being would go 'Kazam!' and turn us all into religious zombies because he can, seeing as that's a lot easier than just saying 'Hi I'm god' and waiting for people to believe it.
That's why I think actual knowledge would kill free will, seeing as I'm sure God can do whatever he wants so he could turn us into a religion or whatever since he can make miracles happen. That's all i meant.

If he can do whatever he wants then he could reveal himself in a demonstrable way that would convince everyone (again as he wants) without damaging free will. Also the last I checked the ones "running on automatic and not thinking" like zombies were the theists. If this isn't what God wants then God wouldn't want that message spread.
cmb2kool
cmb2kool
378 posts
Nomad

So put it on the Internet. Not only do you save money, people can access it when they want, and you don't have to travel. Everyone wins.

Uh think, Not everyone has internet, and we already did.
cmb2kool
cmb2kool
378 posts
Nomad

We have a website also we have magazines, and books, and a store to sell them. But We need Missionaries to teach the people who do not have the luxury of internet, or the knowledge of a magazine existing, or not having a car, or having a medical ability to go to the store, we go to them, but also other people who don't usually think to go and stop by the store, order have a subscription to our magazine, or think stop by on Sunday to see what it is all about. If people Don't think to do it, they won't ever and by the missionaries coming and explaining it to them that can give them the opportunity to learn if they CHOOSE

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Well then, just have your missionaries stand out in the streets, don't send them door-to-door.

sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

exactly, place a missionary on the street whith a sign if people want to speak to him they will, you dont need to bother people whenthere at home, when there busy and when they most likely have no interest in what you have to say, would you like it if an athiest walked around door to door telling you that there is no god and trying to force your way into your home giving you panflets?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Well then, just have your missionaries stand out in the streets, don't send them door-to-door.

You know I would be likely to approach them if they had themselves presented right.

would you like it if an athiest walked around door to door telling you that there is no god and trying to force your way into your home giving you panflets?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/MageGrayWolf/bizarro_atheists.jpg
sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

i would definitely approach them, however bothering me at home when i am most likely busy is simply shameless

funny picture by the way

Snakebite
Snakebite
996 posts
Nomad

Things are slowly changing in the way Missionaries approach spreading the gospel. There are places, like Rome for example, where missionaries cannot contact people at all. They have to wait for people to contact them.

xfirealchemistx
xfirealchemistx
370 posts
Nomad

I love the mormon.org commercials. They make me laugh, but I never quite understood the point of them.

sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

thats a good thing, mormons have no more right to barge their way into my life than a telemarketer does, i have no interest in what either have to say or give to me

Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

We are not barging our way into your life, nor are we forcing ourselves into your home's. We ask politely if we can come in, because we have something we'd like to share with y'all. It's y'all who are the rude ones, slamming doors in our faces, and cussing us out for doing what we think is right. What happened to no persecution when it comes to religion? You don't see the mormons bashing everybody else, you don't see us cussing out Catholics, or hating Lutherans. We preach religious tolerance.

sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

there is a massive difference between religious tolerence and having it shoved down your throat, if someone wants to learn the they will learn, you bothering people in their homes whne they are most likely busy is not ok, its annoying, its rude.

you dont have to literally barge into the house to barge into someones life, your turn up with something most people dont care about, forcing people to levae whatever they are doing to come and speka to you at a time you have chosen to suit you, i would call that barging into someones life

i have all te tolerence in the world for religion, your arrogance in thinking that people care what you think is astoundidng, if people wanta religion they will find one, you have no right to shove it down people throats, i think what your saying is crap, all crap thats my right, its your right to believe your religion, but when you come to my home whenyou feel like it telling me to take your pamphlet and that im wrong about my life, youll belucky not to get a punch in the face

i can live with you having your church and your beliefs, putting adverts on television on billboards trains buses shouting in the street, scream from rooftops for all i care, but when you come to my house, uninvited when you feel like it, you are invading my personal space, you have no right because you think it is right, hitler thought he was right, doesnt mean he was

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

You really have to go door-to-door to share it with us? Their are much less intrusive means of making whatever you have to share with us available - going to peoples houses might not seem like barging to you but once you've had 5-6 visits from Mormons in the span of as many months, even when you decline and ask not to be visited again, you can hardly say that you're not barging. Doing what you think is right is all well and good until it turns into 'doing what we think is right at the expense of other people'. I also see that you're playing the persecution card today, sir, would you like to stand in line behind the Jehovah's Witnesses and Baptists? It seems that religious persecution is a term that gets overused a lot these days just because people speak out against something they don't agree with.

ShonaFurey
ShonaFurey
67 posts
Nomad

I study theology at university, and although mormonism isn't a topic i get to study it's one i'm rather interested in.

I disagree with people having a problem with door-to-door visits. It's not a requirement to invite these people in or to give them the time of day, but i find it nice to have the option. The argument against door to door calls by Mormons is that people are busy and get interrupted and therefore annoyed. If a friend called to the door that you didn't have time for and you were busy, would you get annoyed? Most likely not.

Showing 346-360 of 428