ForumsWEPRMormonism

428 87278
Linktopast30
Linktopast30
109 posts
Jester

I'm starting this topic to "continue" a conversation started in the Christians vs. Catholics thread. I will include some of the details from there, but the rest are up to anyone new to read up on. I will specifically post the contents of one post, more or less.

We did not baptize Adolf Hitler. That is a lie. After people baptized for Obama's mother, an official release was sent out saying that unless you specifically know the person who's name you are bringing in to do temple work for (not the names that they already have) or they are in your family, you cannot do temple work for them.

We are not barred from being around ex Mormons. We do not necessarily believe they are with Satan. We excommunicate people for their good. In our views, it gives them a second chance. They can rejoin the church later, and their sins will be gone, just as they were when they were first baptized. I know many ex Mormons, and I do not get in trouble for being with them.

South Park is in no way an authority on anything. The fact that you're trying to cite that is pathetic.

Yes, there was polygamy. But it was revoked in the 1890's (even if only for legal reasons). Joseph Smith did not try to burn down a newspaper place. He was taken to jail for no real reason. If he shot back, it was only because they were shooting at him.

The reason non members are not allowed in the temple is because of the sacred things that go on in there. If just anyone was allowed in, the spirit would be disrupted. I will expound on this if needs be.

I am personally ashamed of the acts of other Latter-Day Saints who have done temple work for people without permission from relatives of that person. It is wrong, and we know it.

Tithing... It was actually in Christ's day when it started. The only reason it affects our worthiness to enter the temple (not our standing in general). The Lord gave us everything we have, and all he asks is 10% of what we earn. I'd say that's a pretty small price for life, liberty, and happiness.

Also, we believe in Agency and Accountability. You can choose to do what you want, but you will have to accept the consequences.

I have a testimony of Jesus Christ. He is my savior and my redeemer. I believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and that Thomas S. Monson is the living prophet today. I believe the Bible to be true as far as it is correctly translated. I know that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can be forgiven for our sins and return to live with our Heavenly Father. I have seen the Atonement in action in my life. I know that God listens to all prayers to him. He answers them in his own way. I know that I can make it to the Celestial Kingdom if I but do my best to keep the commandments of God.

• 428 Replies
cmb2kool
cmb2kool
378 posts
Nomad

@ avorne

Um... No they do not intend to bother people, they just want to teach.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

People should have the ability to learn about other religions, as I said earlier, but when Missionaries insist on 'teaching' people without being asked to - it becomes bothering them.

cmb2kool
cmb2kool
378 posts
Nomad

Kasic, If you've never had a missionary discussion you wouldn't even understand. Maybe invite one in your house and then you can actually state a valid point.

cmb2kool
cmb2kool
378 posts
Nomad

@ Avorne
The missionaries only came back to you because you showed interest, If you said no to them in the first place, they probably wouldn't have came back. In my case when my family said no at first they didn't come back until we invited them o

cmb2kool
cmb2kool
378 posts
Nomad

I'm done talking but if you are interested and what to know how things work you can go to [url=http://www.lds.org]

Snakebite
Snakebite
996 posts
Nomad

People should have the ability to learn about other religions, as I said earlier, but when Missionaries insist on 'teaching' people without being asked to - it becomes bothering them.

You're right, we all have the right to learn about other religions without being pressured. Missionaries from the LDS Church should have left you guys alone if your family had expressed their desire to no longer have the lessons. If they didn't, someone along the way didn't explain how to deal with a situation like that. That's certainly not how missionaries should act. Going door-to-door can be taken as both bothersome or an answer to prayer, depending on the person. Everyone reacts differently. What they're doing isn't a crime, heck even school children go door-to-door with fundraisers, not a big deal.

I'm a convert, I know how annoying it can be, I also know how much of a blessing it became. I live in a partial-member family, meaning not everyone converted. My decision had no pressure behind it, I was the first in my immediate family to feel converting was the right thing. Yes, there's been times since where I've doubted what I was taught, and those times have also been a time in my life where I was very rebellious, and went against everything I knew to be right. That was also a time of great learning and heartbreak. But I had this gospel to fall back on, and I'm slowly growing into a better person, a stronger person. I'm scared of the person I would have become without knowing about the gospel, I saw a small glimpse, and it's not pretty.
cmb2kool
cmb2kool
378 posts
Nomad

Thank You. Enough said

mysteriousmexican666
mysteriousmexican666
318 posts
Nomad

Wow. All I see on here is a bunch of flaming on Mormon's. Do you guys seriously have nothing better to do? This could be considered bullying, and bullying kills. Mormon's (although I personally do not agree with some of their teachings) have developed many technological advances back in their age and should be credited for that. Ripping on them because of their undergarments and rituals is one of the most childish things I've seen on this website. C'mon, just live and let live.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

This could be considered bullying, and bullying kills.

No it doesn't.

Mormon's (although I personally do not agree with some of their teachings) have developed many technological advances back in their age and should be credited for that.

And so have Christians, Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, Pagans, oriental or whatever the hell religion they fallow. That doesn't effect the fact that all their religions are a pile of BS.

Ripping on them because of their undergarments and rituals is one of the most childish things I've seen on this website

They have an undergarment ritual. They deserve to be ripped on.
sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

no one deserves to be mocked because of what they believe, but i dont see a lot of that happening, if people were to stop white knighting (telling people to be nice) to try and look good or whatever this thread would run alot more smoothly without going off topic

as for missionaries i think its completely wrong, if i want to learn about a religion ill look into it myself, ill take it upon myself to go and speak to embers of that faith, however having people knock on my door when they feel like it not invited will put me off the religion

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

as for missionaries i think its completely wrong, if i want to learn about a religion ill look into it myself, ill take it upon myself to go and speak to embers of that faith, however having people knock on my door when they feel like it not invited will put me off the religion

Maybe that's the reason why I haven't bothered going to the church meetings of this particular religion yet.
sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

i thought you weren't allowed in the temple anyway

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

i thought you weren't allowed in the temple anyway

This was covered earlier in this thread. Temple no, church yes. I'm also hoping the Mormon around where I live aren't an example of the rest of the group.
sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

i have not a single mormon church in my city or county, i couldn't visit a church even if i wanted to

cmb2kool
cmb2kool
378 posts
Nomad

The temple is a holy place and that is why you are not allowed in, you may though go into the visitor center if they have one. No we do not have undergarment rituals, Missionariers come for people who have not heard about religion and could possibly want to know more, and thank you mysteriousmexican. I don't think anyone of you has an idea what a lot of things mean, so you want to know why you cant go in the temple, research, you'll find out.

i have not a single mormon church in my city or county, i couldn't visit a church even if i wanted to

Well I'm sorry the church can't afford to build a million church site and temples. We would love to but we cant. and if you really wanted to, you could, trust me.
Showing 316-330 of 428