ForumsWEPRMormonism

428 87170
Linktopast30
Linktopast30
109 posts
Jester

I'm starting this topic to "continue" a conversation started in the Christians vs. Catholics thread. I will include some of the details from there, but the rest are up to anyone new to read up on. I will specifically post the contents of one post, more or less.

We did not baptize Adolf Hitler. That is a lie. After people baptized for Obama's mother, an official release was sent out saying that unless you specifically know the person who's name you are bringing in to do temple work for (not the names that they already have) or they are in your family, you cannot do temple work for them.

We are not barred from being around ex Mormons. We do not necessarily believe they are with Satan. We excommunicate people for their good. In our views, it gives them a second chance. They can rejoin the church later, and their sins will be gone, just as they were when they were first baptized. I know many ex Mormons, and I do not get in trouble for being with them.

South Park is in no way an authority on anything. The fact that you're trying to cite that is pathetic.

Yes, there was polygamy. But it was revoked in the 1890's (even if only for legal reasons). Joseph Smith did not try to burn down a newspaper place. He was taken to jail for no real reason. If he shot back, it was only because they were shooting at him.

The reason non members are not allowed in the temple is because of the sacred things that go on in there. If just anyone was allowed in, the spirit would be disrupted. I will expound on this if needs be.

I am personally ashamed of the acts of other Latter-Day Saints who have done temple work for people without permission from relatives of that person. It is wrong, and we know it.

Tithing... It was actually in Christ's day when it started. The only reason it affects our worthiness to enter the temple (not our standing in general). The Lord gave us everything we have, and all he asks is 10% of what we earn. I'd say that's a pretty small price for life, liberty, and happiness.

Also, we believe in Agency and Accountability. You can choose to do what you want, but you will have to accept the consequences.

I have a testimony of Jesus Christ. He is my savior and my redeemer. I believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and that Thomas S. Monson is the living prophet today. I believe the Bible to be true as far as it is correctly translated. I know that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can be forgiven for our sins and return to live with our Heavenly Father. I have seen the Atonement in action in my life. I know that God listens to all prayers to him. He answers them in his own way. I know that I can make it to the Celestial Kingdom if I but do my best to keep the commandments of God.

• 428 Replies
Snakebite
Snakebite
996 posts
Nomad

I'm also hoping the Mormon around where I live aren't an example of the rest of the group.

What do you mean? How are they acting? I have noticed some extreme differences in the way Mormons act in different places. The Texas ones I'm around are really laid back in regular life activities, and very serous about church (As with many other Southern denominations).
cmb2kool
cmb2kool
378 posts
Nomad

The Texas ones I'm around are really laid back in regular life activities, and very serous about church

Same here it's people are very serious and all have family life, and go and have fun with them. It's not like Mormons are boring either.
Apparently, you know there mormon, so they must be doing something
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

I can't stand people who are so serious about religion, I feel sorry for you guys living in the South having to put up with fundamentalists and hardcore fanatics, all we get is the occasional JW coming to the door and I just show them that I already have every pamphlet and booklet they hand out (JW friend FTW) and send them on their way. This hatred of people who are serious about religion is probably why I dislike Mormon missionaries so much.

cmb2kool
cmb2kool
378 posts
Nomad

OK, well in our religion a mission is a duty and you kinda need to do it. And just like all religions there are people who are more serious than others. Again What's wrong with doing what you believe. I've haven't found a religion that doesn't extremists or people who are hardcore.

genericguest
genericguest
51 posts
Nomad

I don't mind religions in America
yet America favoring a religion thats too much for me to handle
its like this, i come to America for freedom, not indulging in a one way a life country
they have to accept all without destroying all
so as long as religion doesn't be extremists like the early Catholic crusader , or the modern ''hate only me because i'm Muslim'' Christian
then their fine by me

cmb2kool
cmb2kool
378 posts
Nomad

I dont think America will ever have a favorite religion for a while

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Why do you need to do it? Why do you need to be a missionary? Hold your beliefs and let others hold theirs unless they approach you to learn.

cmb2kool
cmb2kool
378 posts
Nomad

Becuase we believe that god wants to spread the knowledge to every corner of the Earth

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Becuase we believe that god wants to spread the knowledge to every corner of the Earth

So put it on the Internet. Not only do you save money, people can access it when they want, and you don't have to travel. Everyone wins.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Then all you have to do, these days, is put up a few advertisements or a website - I'm sure people are already aware of the LDS. If they really wanted you to visit them then they would ask. Instead, though, you go around door-to-door and bother people with your supposed 'knowledge'.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

And the best way an omnipotent being could come up with to spread his knowledge to everyone on Earth was to have a hand full of people going door to door? That's just silly.
Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

And the best way an omnipotent being could come up with to spread his knowledge to everyone on Earth was to have a hand full of people going door to door? That's just silly.

That's a weird way to look at it. He said he wanted people to spread the knowledge, he didn't say he was going to do it himself. That would kill the whole free will thing if he made everyone a certain religion.
So the best way Christians could come up with to spread His knowledge is going door to door.

And personally I don't think many people would be attracted to a religion through a website in comparison to an actual person telling them about it.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

And personally I don't think many people would be attracted to a religion through a website in comparison to an actual person telling them about it.

I wonder if they keep records of how many houses they visit vs how many houses they convert...that'd be interesting to see, although most likely non-existent.
Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

although most likely non-existent.

I'd say more inflated than non-existent. They can't come up to your door and say 'We have a success rate of .0002%!' lol.

I've heard of a lot of missionary groups in places like Africa and Asia, where villages convert and open up to economies and other people and what not, at least. I've never really heard about any domestic missionaries.

What I think is funny though, is that one day, there was a group of really old, nice guys outside of our schools handing out bibles. And the way they gave them to you was so abrupt you just took it, because they looked really nice and all.

Except, I think it was the wrong way to go about it. A few of the Indian atheist guys I know just threw them around and all, and i found quite a few in a trash can I just left mine on a porch I was walking by -- I didn't really know how to dispose of it.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

That's a weird way to look at it. He said he wanted people to spread the knowledge, he didn't say he was going to do it himself. That would kill the whole free will thing if he made everyone a certain religion.

Again you seem to claim that actual knowledge destroys free will, which simply isn't the case. We would still be free to accept or deny such a being. The only difference is we could do it based on actual evidence rather then hearsay and and baseless claims.
Showing 331-345 of 428