Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

What it Takes to Become a Moderator (page 1):

Posted Jul 4, '11 at 1:29pm

acmed

acmed

1,921 posts

what can a moderator do more like banning or what?

Moderators have the power to lock and delete threads and game comments. They only have the power to give temporary bans, while admins (like Cormyn) have the power to perma ban. Here's what it says on the mods profiles:

Moderators are user volunteers who have been selected by Administrators to help maintain the web site. Their duties including removing spam from the forums, locking forum threads, and helping users understand and follow the Terms and Conditions of being a member on the site and posting rules and guidelines for posting messages in the forums, game comments or user comments. Moderators can issue temporary bans from the site for users who do not follow rules, and are in contact with Administrators regarding permanent bans for repeat or major offenses.

Posted Jul 6, '11 at 12:03am

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

Moderators can also delete user comments and hand out merits.

Posted Jul 7, '11 at 5:45pm

ultrabird

ultrabird

2 posts

is becoming a moderator the biggest achievement on armor games?

Posted Jul 7, '11 at 6:02pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,154 posts

No (I hope not), but I do remember including "become a moderator" as one of my custom-made achievements on my wall while in my newbie days. I think the achievement was called "Modified", and the opposite achievement, losing the moderator position, was called "Modifail"...

Point being, you shouldn't strive to be a moderator (hypocrite), because that can lead to "trying too hard" and "mini-modding", which are two things moderators do not want to deal with. We'd rather you let us take care of certain places in the forum (spam, trolling, off-topic, needs-to-be-locked), instead of posting that such-and-such needs to be taken care of that is so obvious to everyone that it makes you look like Osaka from Azumanga-Daioh. Let us take care of the nasty business, and get involved positively.

Posted Jul 9, '11 at 7:29pm

xfactor800

xfactor800

22 posts

When you became a mod can you change the color of the letter to be your default color?

Posted Jul 9, '11 at 7:32pm

Ghgt99

Ghgt99

1,441 posts

When you became a mod can you change the color of the letter to be your default color?

No, it is so that people know who the mods are. It cannot be changed.

Posted Jul 9, '11 at 8:06pm

PinkieCake

PinkieCake

71 posts

Agreeing with Freakenstein, I sort of see striving to become a mod to be similar to striving to run for office.
It's something only suited people for the task can do, and not too many people will do it. Most of us are better off appreciating the top-notch mods we already have.

Posted Jul 10, '11 at 1:55pm

python259

python259

2 posts

seems too complicated to be worthwhile what are the benefits of it

Posted Jul 10, '11 at 2:01pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,693 posts

Knight

what are the benefits of it

You get to help out the Armor Games community by locking and deleting threads and deleting unnecessary posts/comments. Moderators can also give out merits. Aside from that, nothing much, except for getting your username on the about page and having shiny blue text and a title under your name in the forums.

Posted Jul 11, '11 at 4:08am

knight_34

knight_34

11,455 posts

seems too complicated to be worthwhile what are the benefits of it

The main benefit is that you get to take care of an internet forum you actually bother caring for. Serious forum moderation is not some sort of avocation you can go apply for in an attempt to enrich your own sense of self-satisfaction.

Reply to What it Takes to Become a Moderator (page 1):

You must be logged in to post a reply!