ForumsWEPRSuicide

262 71779
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Is it ever acceptable?
Is it cowardice or a cry for help?
Some cultures accepted it as something of honor (namely the Japanese military in WWII). Others condemned it (namely the ancient Spartans).
Share your thoughts and opinions here.

• 262 Replies
sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

that aside, if they are depressed, they can go to a doctor. they can work it out with the help of their families. there is lots of other things they can do other than kill themselves. the only way they can do so is with constant monitoring, but that is still possible

But as I say there thoughts are warped although the se people around them are there to help they do not see it that way and therefore feel in their minds that there is no other way out

but the people around the person who care for him can help him through his problem.

Many people are very unedcutaed on depression, thge families often will not recognise that there is even a problem

unless, after being showed all of their options, and have been working a long time to control their depression, that they kill themselves even though they worked so hard to manage their problem.

The only way this could happen would be if they relapse, then it would be understandable

the point you are talking about is when a person kills himself immediately, which is fine if that is the case.

Well no, its never fine to kill oneself, you mean uderstandable
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

Is it ever acceptable?

Sure? Why not? I'm not saying it's good, but it's not like you will be punished for suicide :S

Is it cowardice or a cry for help?

Depend on the situation. Some people are pressured in committing suicide. Or they suicide because they actually think they are not cowards (suicide missions).

Others are depressed, and once they suicide, yes, it is an act of a coward. But that's not an insult, and for some people, the coward way is the better way.
sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

Others are depressed, and once they suicide, yes, it is an act of a coward. But that's not an insult, and for some people, the coward way is the better way.

Actually, yes that is an insult. Unless you have been depressed its incredibly hard to understand the mind set of a depressed person, its not cowardice, how is dieng when ypu have nothing to live for cowardice?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

but it's not like you will be punished for suicide :S

Sort of. They're punnishing themselves.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

Actually, yes that is an insult. Unless you have been depressed its incredibly hard to understand the mind set of a depressed person, its not cowardice, how is dieng when ypu have nothing to live for cowardice?

Well, I have been kind of depressed before and I always thought suicide is like losing against whatever made you depressed. How can you not call it cowardice if you're not staying alive to fight?
sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

Well, I have been kind of depressed before and I always thought suicide is like losing against whatever made you depressed. How can you not call it cowardice if you're not staying alive to fight?

Fight against what? The voices telling you that the only option eft is to die because veryone and everything is against yopu?
destruction101
destruction101
115 posts
Nomad

I do not think that suicide is ever acceptable. I say this because Suicide means killing yourself intentionally. Maybe because your life is horrible or you think that there is nothing left to live for but you are RONG. Things can always be fixed there is always another way out. If you think about it for awhile Suicide is selfish killing yourself because of your own problems. Think about what other people have to go through because of your death! Furthermore here is the definition of suicide to prove my point that it is selfish.
Thank you dictionary.com

[quote]
su·i·cideâ â/ËsuÉËsaɪd/ Show Spelled
[soo-uh-sahyd] Show IPA
noun, verb, -cid·ed, -cid·ing.
â"noun
1. the intentional taking of one's own life.
2. destruction of one's own interests or prospects: Buying that house was financial suicide.
3. a person who intentionally takes his or her own life.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

RONG.

Wrong like your spelling?

It could equally be argued that expecting people to live their lives in a state where they feel completely miserable is also selfish.
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

When you're in a literal state of depression, winning isn't important. I was depressed for over a year, suicidally depressed, and in my experience, it wasn't bravery that kept me alive; it was cowardice. Ending your life is a terrifying experience, and I don't think it's an act of cowardice. It takes a tremendous amount of willpower, willpower that I never had even though I wasn't scared of Hell (or nothingness) and I didn't care who got hurt by my death. All the morality and rational thought I had built up through my life completely collapsed, and everyday was a never-ending nightmare. The worst of it was that unless I actually said something (which I never did), nobody had the slightest idea that I had anything stressful going on in my life.
Suicide is anything but an act of cowardice.
Suicide is selfish killing yourself because of your own problems. Think about what other people have to go through because of your death!

Agreed one hundred percent. It is a selfish act (and I'm not being sarcastic). However, the morality to be selfless doesn't override a serious enough depression. The act of killing yourself is one selfish and desperate moment; choosing not to kill yourself is a daily struggle that doesn't end until the depression does, and a serious enough depression feels like it will never end.
Actually, to be perfectly honest, even when I was no longer suicidal, I still hated the same parts of my life. I was simply tired of hating my life with all my heart. I did get over that eventually too, but depression takes a lot of energy out of your life, and I don't judge anyone that couldn't handle the load; I barely could handle it myself.
Wrong like your spelling?

Rong liik yoor kunfuzzd.
sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

When you're in a literal state of depression, winning isn't important. I was depressed for over a year, suicidally depressed, and in my experience, it wasn't bravery that kept me alive; it was cowardice. Ending your life is a terrifying experience, and I don't think it's an act of cowardice. It takes a tremendous amount of willpower, willpower that I never had even though I wasn't scared of Hell (or nothingness) and I didn't care who got hurt by my death. All the morality and rational thought I had built up through my life completely collapsed, and everyday was a never-ending nightmare. The worst of it was that unless I actually said something (which I never did), nobody had the slightest idea that I had anything stressful going on in my life.
Suicide is anything but an act of cowardice.

I suffered much the same experience, in fact almost exactly the same, it was cowardice the kept me form doing it, but yes your eperinece in every detail is the same as mine was, except it was my family that kept me alive, i couldnt bare the thought of causing them that much pain, or them blaming themselves, in that respect suicide would have been very selfish

Agreed one hundred percent. It is a selfish act (and I'm not being sarcastic). However, the morality to be selfless doesn't override a serious enough depression. The act of killing yourself is one selfish and desperate moment; choosing not to kill yourself is a daily struggle that doesn't end until the depression does, and a serious enough depression feels like it will never end.
Actually, to be perfectly honest, even when I was no longer suicidal, I still hated the same parts of my life. I was simply tired of hating my life with all my heart. I did get over that eventually too, but depression takes a lot of energy out of your life, and I don't judge anyone that couldn't handle the load; I barely could handle it myself.

wow, agian the same experience, you sound like a more serious depressive than me, i toyed with the idea a few times, it wasnever daily, however in amny ways i did die, although i was still breathing i stopped living, all i wanted was to go to sleep and never wake up, sleep and lieng alone in the dark was how most of my time was spent
sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

This is actual;ly very hard to talk about, its digging up memories i would much rather keep buried, i may be a while until my next post

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

I finally found a good quote:

If you are going through hell, keep going.
-Winston Churchill

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Suicide is man's way of telling God, "You can't fire me - I quit."
â" Bill Maher

Quotes work both ways. Anyway, I don't think there's ever going to be any solid 'answer' to a lot of suicide-related questions, it's such a divisive subject that pulls peoples hearts and minds in different directions that there isn't much middle-ground to explore.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

it's such a divisive subject that pulls peoples hearts and minds in different directions that there isn't much middle-ground to explore.

The middle-ground is those who considered it but didn't commit it. I wonder, if you fail at suicide did you really fail?
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

I meant in terms of opinion - there are those that condemn suicide as being completely and utterly wrong and those that are very liberal and sweeping about it being acceptable. I see a few people take the middle-ground but not very many. Anyway, if you fail at suicide then you're still failing at suicide, hence why it's called failing at suicide - you might be succeeding at living though.

Showing 76-90 of 262