ForumsWEPRSuicide

262 71628
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Is it ever acceptable?
Is it cowardice or a cry for help?
Some cultures accepted it as something of honor (namely the Japanese military in WWII). Others condemned it (namely the ancient Spartans).
Share your thoughts and opinions here.

• 262 Replies
akqpars
akqpars
190 posts
Nomad

That sounds more like a fear of heights

Alright than doctor. I feel better, consulting works actually.
MewMewFancyCakes
MewMewFancyCakes
47 posts
Nomad

I don't think anybody should do this, but I'm sure they have their reason.
For example my friend was depressed for a long period of time. But he had a reason. His whole family hates him, and I mean his whole family. They went on a trip to see the fireworks and no one invited him. Not even his sister and they talk still. Same for X-mas. I'm not exactly sure why. But I've talking to him, he seems to be getting better.

Wow! I got off topic! I do not think it's right. Even with a reason like my friend has.

notataco
notataco
189 posts
Nomad

The only time i would feel that it would be acceptable is if the person is being tortued without escape or was about to under go an extremely horrific death. Then I really wouldnt say they were wrong in their doings

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

The only time i would feel that it would be acceptable is if the person is being tortued without escape or was about to under go an extremely horrific death. Then I really wouldnt say they were wrong in their doings

Being hated, and having to keep going to a place where you know you are hated is pretty tortuous. It's really depressing and it makes you feel like no one cares about you while you're there. If you don't have someone reminding you they care it's easy to get depressed. ( I'm talking about kids not adults.)
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Like a prisoner of Auschwitz letting himself be shot or something instead of gassed.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Kids who suicides are nothing but cowards. People went trough far worst then them but never let go of life.

That doesn't mean what the person considering suicide can handle the same situations as that other person who's been through worse.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

My best friend's dad died a few years ago. He had blood cancer. He was going to die from it in less than a few weeks. When his kidneys failed he opted to not undergo dialysis. He didn't have much in the way of insurance and just wanted to be able to die with his family and friends around him without having to drag out torturing them by prolonging his comatose not all together there existence. I do believe that opting to die of a sepsis like condition is the same as suicide... it's just not as instantaneous as a gun. Is it cowardice for opting to remove yourself from the picture when the alternative inevitably ends up with you being kept alive in a comatose state with only fleeting moments/seconds of time where you awake (even then you might not even be "there&quot?

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Is it ever acceptable?

I would say in the case of teenagers, absolutely not. Their minds aren't fully developed yet, and everything can feel like too much for some of them. To kill yourself if you were, say, stranded on an island, or some situation in which less pain is incurred to kill yourself than to live only to die shortly after suffering, I would say it's okay. There are a number of circumstances, so even generalizing suicide might not work.
Is it cowardice or a cry for help?

I don't think it's any one thing. I had a period where I wanted to kill myself every day for almost a year. I can't speak for everyone, but I wanted everything to sort of disappear. Things like friends, family, and even good/decent grades meant nothing. Nothing held any value to me, and every day brought repetitive problems that induced me into a state of depression.
For someone to actually commit suicide, or attempt it, I believe there's a rush of adrenaline brought on by some immediately depressing news or realization. I never was able to attempt it, and aside from a bullet to the head, I can't imagine how terrifying it would be to try to end your own life.
Long story short, I'd say it can be wanting to cry for help but not believing that anybody can actually help you.

Kids who suicides are nothing but cowards. People went trough far worst then them but never let go of life.

Please. Pain is subjective to what you've felt in your life. The most depressing moment in your life can bring you to suicide no matter how depressing it is to someone else. Imagine never feeling a shred of happiness and faking emotions just to trick your friends and family into thinking you're okay. Depression is a *****, and it doesn't matter what the cause is.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I've thought about it too much to try, honestly. As far as I can tell, suicide is almost always a bad choice, but at the same time I understand the things that drive people towards it. It's something very very different than cowardice or squishiness that leads people to it, and quite frankly that misconception is dangerous, stupid, and dangerously stupid.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I believe there's a rush of adrenaline brought on by some immediately depressing news or realization

Not always the case - a lot of the time it is premeditated until their affairs are in order, which is very sad.

Also it's brave of you guys sharing your feelings from personal experiences, hopefully it'll help people understand it's not smply black and white, right or wrong.
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

It depend of beliefs I think, for me, if I didn't believe in God I would have just killed myself cuz life sux... But if you kill yourself you will go to hell lol

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

It depend of beliefs I think, for me, if I didn't believe in God I would have just killed myself cuz life sux... But if you kill yourself you will go to hell lol

I believe in God and I still considered to kill myself. Fear of Hell doesn't mean anything when you're in that state of insanity.
Also, I think an atheist would have a harder time killing themself since they don't believe in an afterlife. Everything, all consciousness, ends at that moment. Despite what one might think, religion doesn't play that huge of a role in the issue.
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

religion doesn't play that huge of a role in the issue.

That's for you bro, not for me. When you believe that if you do good things you will go to heaven and in heaven you will have EVERYTHING you dreamt of then yes religion play a huge role.

PS: By good things it depends on what your belief.
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

When you believe that if you do good things you will go to heaven and in heaven you will have EVERYTHING you dreamt of then yes religion play a huge role.

I believe that as well, but that was never the reason I resisted. I tried to make it the reason, but when the depression doesn't end, you really don't care, even if you should.
When you say life sucks, do you mean you really want to kill yourself because the things in your life that you consider valuable don't have enough value for you to go on living? Or do you mean you just don't see a point to life and things and people irritate you?
If it's personal, you don't have to answer, but I was just curious if we're referring to the same kind of desire for suicide.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I believe in God and I still considered to kill myself.

I don't believe in god and never considered killing myself. Life doesn't suck if you don't think it sucks

That's for you bro, not for me. When you believe that if you do good things you will go to heaven and in heaven you will have EVERYTHING you dreamt of then yes religion play a huge role.

If you do good things in order to go to heaven only, I don't think you'll ever get in

Also, I think an atheist would have a harder time killing themself since they don't believe in an afterlife.

Depends, maybe at some time someone would consider it a bliss to end it for good, without having to face an afterlife where basicly everything could be possible.

See what I mean, all this matter of suicide or not is so dependent of the individual and the situation that I find it wrong to demonize it as such. You can't know what the other has gone through and endured, you don't have the same experiences, so don't judge what you can'tresponsibly judge.
Showing 46-60 of 262