ForumsWEPRSuicide

262 71627
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Is it ever acceptable?
Is it cowardice or a cry for help?
Some cultures accepted it as something of honor (namely the Japanese military in WWII). Others condemned it (namely the ancient Spartans).
Share your thoughts and opinions here.

• 262 Replies
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

do you mean you really want to kill yourself because the things in your life that you consider valuable don't have enough value for you to go on living? Or do you mean you just don't see a point to life and things and people irritate you?

People who I care about doesn't give a **** about me, my goal is just to be acknowledged by them.. But humans are *** holes.

If you do good things in order to go to heaven only, I don't think you'll ever get in

Why not ?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

People who I care about doesn't give a **** about me, my goal is just to be acknowledged by them.. But humans are *** holes.

Then maybe you know the wrong people.. don't generalize, that is a mistake that may have lead a few to suicide, at least I could imagine so.

Why not ?

I think the idea behind doing good things is to do it for the sake of making/keeping the world a good place, and not out of personal reasons i.e. to grant oneself access to heaven. But if your belief says otherwise, that's fine too.
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

But if your belief says otherwise, that's fine too.

You are totally right, it doesn't say otherwise, but personally good things are good things.
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Then maybe you know the wrong people.. don't generalize, that is a mistake that may have lead a few to suicide, at least I could imagine so.

The 'few' people you are talking about is everyone I know so...
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Also, I think an atheist would have a harder time killing themself since they don't believe in an afterlife.

Quite true. As an atheist I've found more to live for. In a theistic view I would often wish something would come along and kill me already so I could get to that better place and stop having to put with the pains in this world.
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

I agree; humans are *** holes. Unfortunately that'll never change. I'm glad your religion keeps you from killing yourself, but I think you should spend some time reflecting on other things too, things that make this life worth living. Sometimes it's okay to try to make yourself happy just temporarily, like video games or TV as a distraction. It doesn't suffice for the actual end of depression, but it can keep you from feeling this way all the time. You should also realize (as I did eventually) that the people you care about might just be caught up in their own worlds. If you're referring to your family, my family never knew that I considered suicide because they weren't paying attention. That doesn't mean it was intentional, and everybody gets caught up in things that don't really matter in life.
If you mean a person you have a crush on or even just friends that don't seem to notice you, I can think of two ways to deal with this situation: try to be more outgoing (but not in a fake way) and they will find that there's more to like about you, or (as cheesy as this sounds) stop caring what they think. They aren't the judges of whether or not your life has meaning.
I hope you can find a solution to your problem; as stated before, it's unique to the individual, but I believe there's always a way to re-grasp your meaning in life.
I think the idea behind doing good things is to do it for the sake of making/keeping the world a good place, and not out of personal reasons i.e. to grant oneself access to heaven. But if your belief says otherwise, that's fine too.

As I have used this as justification before, I think I might be able to offer a (possibly incorrect) explanation. It's not so much that you do good things thinking "Another reason to take me to heaven, God." It's more like it's in the back of your mind; you find yourself feeling like people get the better in life by being rotten and you can think, "That's not what'll happen in heaven."
Again, I could be wrong on elshobokshy's religious views, but that's the way I feel about it.
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

BigP08.. You rock!

If you mean a person you have a crush

Yeah that's what I meant.. And everything you said is really great thank you for that!!
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Glad I could help. I hope all goes well.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

think the idea behind doing good things is to do it for the sake of making/keeping the world a good place, and not out of personal reasons i.e. to grant oneself access to heaven. But if your belief says otherwise, that's fine too.

From a religious perspective, we're supposed to try do good things to go to heaven.

Regardless of how we feel however God will understand. Many priests tell you to repent for feeling depressed/ feeling suicidal - this is wrong. God will understand why a person feels like that.
I don't believe that Christians go to hell for committing suicide.
HydromiTad
HydromiTad
123 posts
Nomad

I don't believe that Christians go to hell for committing suicide.

I have to agree with that, though I have no strong religious ties. If there is a God, he would want all of his people to be happy.

Those who commit suicide are going to God and are being freed from the horror of the people who tortured them.
dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,920 posts
Peasant

I think no one should commit suicide, unless your a spy being tortured or the like. I think it is respectable to willingly die. Like Nathan Hale (i only regret I have but one life for my country.) and others.

MrMoneh
MrMoneh
78 posts
Nomad

A person must have great respect for their own country or terrible self esteem if they would risk their own life, I have somewhat of a tough life with some hurdles that I would like to forget, but never would think of suicide as a final result.

ferfer313
ferfer313
260 posts
Nomad

My dad commited suicide, but not really. He was using Ambion to help him sleep.

sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

Suicide is obviously never the right thing to do, but to call someone who is suicidal, or has commited suicide a coward shows a lack of understanding.

Suicide is often the result of depression, which you must understand IS a disease, when you have this disease, rational logical thoughts such as you and I are thinking now have no presence, and anyone trying to present these to someone with depression is like pushing treacle up a hill.

Someone used the example of a spy being tortured as a respectable exscuse for suicide, well depression is like being tortured every day by your own mind. In the mind of a depressant there is no way out, no concievable end, so in their mind there is no point living, suicide in these circumstances is the result of the warped state of mind depression brings, and makes perfect sense to a depressant, it is not cowardice.

I dont expect many of you to get this as it is indeed a hard thing to grasp, but please try to get your heads around it, I hope i have presented the case as well as I can.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

Suicide is often the result of depression, which you must understand IS a disease, when you have this disease, rational logical thoughts such as you and I are thinking now have no presence, and anyone trying to present these to someone with depression is like pushing treacle up a hill.

that isn't always the case. like the japanese, some people kill themselves for the right of upholding their honor.

that aside, if they are depressed, they can go to a doctor. they can work it out with the help of their families. there is lots of other things they can do other than kill themselves. the only way they can do so is with constant monitoring, but that is still possible.

you are right when you say their rational thought is skewed, but the people around the person who care for him can help him through his problem.

he can't be considered a coward unless he has killed himself because of something trivial. those is the people who are branded a coward. the people who are medically depressed can't be branded a coward unless, after being showed all of their options, and have been working a long time to control their depression, that they kill themselves even though they worked so hard to manage their problem.

the point you are talking about is when a person kills himself immediately, which is fine if that is the case.
Showing 61-75 of 262