ForumsWEPRSuicide

262 71624
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Is it ever acceptable?
Is it cowardice or a cry for help?
Some cultures accepted it as something of honor (namely the Japanese military in WWII). Others condemned it (namely the ancient Spartans).
Share your thoughts and opinions here.

• 262 Replies
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

That definition allows for things other than purposefully taking your own life. I don't like it. I don't think accepting fate and waiting on it are the same thing as taking a gun and blowing your brains out.... it's actually pretty much the opposite of the classical interpretation of suicide. Accepting your fate when there is no way of escaping it and facing it is different from seeing your fate coming at you and shooting yourself before it happens. I'm sure we can flesh out some grey areas like what you've shown, but struggling against your bindings gets you shot. It would just depend on the semantics of your decisions. I don't like reducing all things of a certain type down to obscure similarities and then arguing that everything be treated the same. Someone who is enduring horrendous incapacitating pain from terminal illnesses wishing to cease treatments like dialysis, life support, etc aren't the same as 15 kids that get all "ERMAGERD!!! THE INTERNETS IS MEANS... IMMA KILL MUHSEF!!!!"

You can't always express everything in a forum post, and b/c of that people will flaunt dumb holes in arguments where certain things were just supposed to be understood. When I acted like I would stop absolutely everyone, I was expressing it along the lines of seeing a person outside of a hospital type / healthcare type issue who had no apparent reason to kill themselves trying to kill themselves. As per knowing the intimate details of the situation and then having time to decide on what I'm going to do I'd take everything case to case and not make an all encompassing statement about stopping everyone... even tho I might just effectively do that. As per the health thing where someone is dying in the next few days regardless, but wishes to remove the machines that would take them that far... I might just let them. I don't necessarily see that as cowardice. Cowardice depends on the semantics behind the decisions... Extending life b/c you're afraid of potential oblivion can be cowardice. Embracing death once your life is ending or effectively over doesn't have to be considered cowardice.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

If someone is rewired to think differently, then is their new opinion and agenda just as acceptable to you as the last one you were all "well... it's their decision?" Is it bad to rewire someone to value their life more so as to keep them from killing themselves?

Since people who are depressed to the point of being suicidal are already not in their right mind anymore, I think it is acceptable to try and prevent the passing to act; however, I dislike the idea of rewiring someone to a new state of mind. You left out the possibility to get that person out of depression without having to alter their original personality.

Though, you also have to think that the relatives of a suicidal person are also directly and personally affected in such cases. Looking at a case solely from the depressed one's point of view is not a complete vision of the case.

Embracing death once your life is ending or effectively over doesn't have to be considered cowardice.

I remember the case of a well-known foreign guy in our country, some star or whatnot, shooting himself because he knew he was getting Altzheimer. Was it fear of the disease? Or the wish to leave this earth with some remaining dignity before becoming a rabbling old geezer? I think pride does influence some decisions, and I feel like the doctor's oath to keep people alive as long as possible even against their will is sometimes inappropriate or exxagerated; I understand that life is important and should be valued highly and treasured, but does it make sense to clutch to it even when it's obvious it's leaving you?
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

and I feel like the doctor's oath to keep people alive as long as possible even against their will is sometimes inappropriate or exxagerated;

i'n my country there was a debate some weeks ago that after a certian age we stop giving expensive health care. meaning that old people are not useing donor organs and therapies against cancer and such.

i then there was a little uproar from old people above that age that feld they were left to die while they could stay alive.

you can't lose that part of the oath because it differences per case.
if the patient can't speak for itself anymore. then they have to keep them alive because they don't know what they want.
theawesomnator
theawesomnator
56 posts
Nomad

Well u shouldn't kill yourself. Just stay strong & believe in yourself.

Don't ever give into those people who hurt you. Just be with people you know who are nice to you.

You ever heard what happened to those who commit suicide in Dante's Inferno? I'm not gonna answer. I'm just gonna let you guys figure it out.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Aaaaaaand here we go again.

Well u shouldn't kill yourself. Just stay strong & believe in yourself.

Suicidal people wouldn't kill themselves under normal circumstances; but depression is a real affliction, and it won't help to just tell them to not kill themselves stay strong. You gotta actively help them.

You ever heard what happened to those who commit suicide in Dante's Inferno? I'm not gonna answer. I'm just gonna let you guys figure it out.

You think they care where they land? As long as they end their current misery...
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Just stay strong

This implies that suicide=weakness.

Don't ever give into those people who hurt you. Just be with people you know who are nice to you.
You ever heard what happened to those who commit suicide in Dante's Inferno?

Your argument is "Tough it out or be turned into a tree"?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

So.. your friend tried to kill herself. And survived. But the really interesting point is, is she still suicidal or not?

Showing 256-262 of 262