ForumsWEPRSuicide

262 71573
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Is it ever acceptable?
Is it cowardice or a cry for help?
Some cultures accepted it as something of honor (namely the Japanese military in WWII). Others condemned it (namely the ancient Spartans).
Share your thoughts and opinions here.

• 262 Replies
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I get your frustrations, but the debates already fairly done with in the other thread :P

Why not get them combined?

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Well, the other thread was for suicides based on prejudice. Your conversation/debate was about an unrelated hypothetical situation which would lead to a suicide.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

It started off based on prejudice and got out of hand, but we'll rope it back in once the conversation starts flowing again.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I consider it an act of cowardice amongst those of my age group for reason such as bullying, I cannot speak in any other case. I do condemn it amongst all people, and I think it's foolish to do it as an act of preserving honor.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

As far as I can deduce, the other thread was on bullying/demonizing people/stereotypes/ethnicities/etc. At least that's what I saw in the OP. This thread seems to discuss suicide in general.

Suicide can be the effect of many different circumstances, a good chunk resulting from emotional instability. Death of a loved one, excessive bullying, rejection, all this negative influence can result in severe depression which can lead to suicide. As objective as I can be, the circumstances that lead to suicide can be dealt with positively, and I feel that there is no tangible reason for someone to commit suicide, especially if said circumstances did not involve them. Some may take it as cowardice, but such a definition is too strong for such a difficult topic.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

As argued in the other thread, we can't understand the pain someone must feel to be at such a low point in their life where that is their only option.

I consider it an act of cowardice amongst those of my age group for reason such as bullying

For the most part i'd agree, although it's all to do with a persons state of mind, and to them asking for help will only make things worse. You have to take into consideration their home life also. They might feel totally alone.

With reference to 'adult' problems as such, they might not know how do deal with certain problems. I previously argued, not every problem has a fix, not everyone has the same mental stability, not everyone can change their life circumstances and not everyone can deal with it.

It shouldn't be a case of someone being labelled a coward - that isn't going to help them is it?

More education and help needs to be offered to those who feel like this.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

The way I see an adult has so much more to deal with than a child, an adult in some cases has no one to rely on, and in that case loneliness is a terrible thing to experience.

Children however have parents, there are few who have no companionship, either at home or at school. In that case to think just because someone mocks you, laughs at you, is an excuse to kill yourself, is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of.

bravehawk204
bravehawk204
350 posts
Nomad

Suicide is a long lasting solution to a temporary problem.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

It's stupid. I mean, I had a pretty crap childhood
Yet, to be serious about it, I think some teenagers are extremely stupid. They flood themselves with some pointless social life they regard so dear to them and then if it gets sour they see it as an excuse to kill themselves.
Maybe calling people cowards is too harsh, but it still doesn't change the fact that that is exactly what they are.

It's true, bullying sucks, but if you're able to waltz around in a first world country with at least some opportunities, and beggars aren't hopping off ledges everyday, then I'm just going to assume you're not brave enough to face life.

I wouldn't even call it a solution. I mean, if you're poor, you're going to die poor, and if you were bullied, you're going to take it to hard and die as the kid that was bullied.
I knew one kid that had trouble walking home, since this other kid loved to hit him or something. He got pretty sad about it, and his parents were always at work, but then eventually he got a cop to follow him on his way home. There's loads of help available, and even if there isn't, I don't think anything like that is bad enough to make you want to kill yourself.
[and of course, for all those people who are bipolar/mentally disabled, I wasn't referring to them]
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

i dont really agree with suicide. and i agree with bravehawk sentence. probably those who jump of a mountain understand they shouldnt have done it while their falling. i believe that doesnt matter how difficult life is, a person should still have hope for a better future. the most imposibble things might happen that will affect a life for the best you can never know.

still, even though my life is kind... "not fun" ive never been in the state of even thinking of suiciding. when a person gets to that state... its sad. im guessing a person like that has so many problems and no people he can talk to. probably also hated by so many people and just cant bare it. i can understand a person like that that wants to suicide.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Not all the time. The physical and psychological issues the person is trying to escape can be things that would stay with them the rest of their natural life.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

what about a terminal cancer patient who has accepted his/her fate? instead of wasting away to a helpless mass of dying flesh they decide to kill themselves one way or another...? i.e. removing themselves from dialysis and/or an-hero'ing some other way. To be a coward you must be afraid of what you are avoiding amirite? What if they've accepted it, and they're not afraid? They just would rather not wait until they're a degenerated lump of unconscious flesh to die and be rid of the pain. You can have the desire to rid yourself of something and not be a coward for it.

I'm not saying that I agree with suicide. I'm just saying that to auto label them a coward b/c of their decision is stupid.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Yet, to be serious about it, I think some teenagers are extremely stupid. They flood themselves with some pointless social life they regard so dear to them and then if it gets sour they see it as an excuse to kill themselves.

No one said this was just about teenagers. What about adults who have more problems than bullies?
Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

What about adults who have more problems than bullies?

I understand nobody said this was about teenagers, it is just that all the media/news I get is usually focused on that.
Adults don't make much of a difference to me, I mean really, how bad could their lives be?
They've either made bad choices and are in some serious gang-related stuff and are already being chased by the law, so I suppose that's reasonable seeing as you have no where else to go besides evil life or jail.
They're possibly poor, except, I'm sure there's someone poorer than them getting through life.
.. I'm running out of ideas already.

Honestly I can't see any problem an adult would have that would seriously lead them to think that the rest of their life has no upcoming value.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Honestly I can't see any problem an adult would have that would seriously lead them to think that the rest of their life has no upcoming value.

I take it you've never had to deal with depression.
Showing 1-15 of 262