ForumsWEPRSuicide

262 71572
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Is it ever acceptable?
Is it cowardice or a cry for help?
Some cultures accepted it as something of honor (namely the Japanese military in WWII). Others condemned it (namely the ancient Spartans).
Share your thoughts and opinions here.

• 262 Replies
Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

yeah need help and they are not helping them selves

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

Many people can't help themselves, not only suicidal people. What is wrong with that?
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

but HE is the only one who can make life and take life

i can **** my girl then we get a kid. so we make life.
i can take a gun shoot someone random. so i can take life.

obey me i'm god.

they are helping themself by killing themself.
they think all the problems will be gone then. and they are right.
when your dead, you don't have problems yourself anymore.

========
btw if it was all gods will, why do they have to ask forgiveness of god?
god made them kill themself, it's just cruel of him to send you to hell for his decision.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

hmm this quote went lost in last reply =S

thats wright and thats what happens

so it doesn't matter that hell is only bad.
they end up in heaven anyway and in heaven everything is good. so their problems will be gone when they are in heaven.

this is a viewpoint of a suicidel religious person.
do you understand a little bit more now, why people think death will solve their problems?
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

they end up in heaven anyway and in heaven everything is good. so their problems will be gone when they are in heaven.

They end up wherever they believe they end up. Be it reincarnated, dead, in Heaven, in a vast afterlife, in a House, wherever they thought Death would take them.

Anyway, in my opinion, the suicidal have a right to remove themselves. Things should be done to prevent them, of course, mainly counseling, but it is the person's choice whether or not they live.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

They end up wherever they believe they end up.

thats not the idea most religious people have.
most say you either go to hell or heaven. (or however it is called in their religion.)
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

I love how everyone ignores one simple fact about suicide and religion. God doesn't like suicide. Suicide is an express train ticket to hell.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

I love how everyone ignores one simple fact about suicide and religion. God doesn't like suicide. Suicide is an express train ticket to hell.

Generally they commit suicide because they're already living through hell, so they might only have a weary smile left for that idea. They just want to end it, not reach heaven.
ghg429xl
ghg429xl
2 posts
Nomad

I think it is a perm. solution to a temp. problem..

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

But what do you actually do about it? Do you just laugh at suicidal people and make things worse, or do you care about the issue and try to help them?
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

God doesn't like suicide. Suicide is an express train ticket to hell.

who said so? is it in the bible?

anyway, you can kill someone els, then ask god forgiveness and everything is fine.
why can't he do the same for someone who kills himself?
and wasn't suicide the destiny god had in mind for this person? does god fail himself every time someone kills himself?

check the video i posted a few pages back. it's not always like that.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

God doesn't like suicide. Suicide is an express train ticket to hell.

No...denouncing the holy spirit/God is an express ticket to hell...everything else has a chance of forgiveness
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Is it ever acceptable?
Is it cowardice or a cry for help?
Some cultures accepted it as something of honor (namely the Japanese military in WWII). Others condemned it (namely the ancient Spartans).
Share your thoughts and opinions here.

I wouldn't call it "acceptable," but a person can do whatever the **** he wants with himself. Obviously, if he's suicidal, I'd try to quell his anxiety or whatever and make sure he doesn't do anything rash, but in the end, it's his decision.

No, I don't think it's cowardice. The threat of suicide could implicitly be a cry for help, but I wouldn't say an actual attempt is. You can't really get help if you're going to die.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

I don't agree with the "it's ultimately their decision" comment. That's a little too absolute for me. There are different mental states people can be in... some characteristic of their normal personality and some are transient (ie. drunk, depression, etc) current states. I'm not saying that I'd stop everyone absolutely, but that I would take each case on a case to case basis. I can't fathom a viable scenario where I'd let someone kill themselves ( I struggle with assisted suicide for patients who are degenerating and writhing in permanent incapacitating pain). Philosophical possibility is not realistic probability. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I don't think I've heard of any legitimate (or otherwise) instance where someone who his just perfectly fine and not depressed (or what have you) who just up and said... "lala la la la... I think I'm going to kill myself today" I'm sure someone somewhere has done it before, but I'm going to exclude that scenario from the ones I'm discussing.

I go to parties from time to time, but I don't drink. I'm usually the dd or just a people watcher. I have friends that would never do sober what they consider doing drunk (and sometimes end up doing... right there in the middle of everyone). Well... at least the humiliation and disgust on their face that shows up after they're told what they did seems sincere. Some people have argued before that alcohol doesn't change people's personalities or what they'll do. Everyone has the potential to respond to things like that differently and what you're saying isn't always true. According to some, I'd be in the wrong to stop an inebriated close friend from doing something stupid when I know they wouldn't do it while not drunk.

The only people I've known that have killed themselves or performed self mutilation have had problems with depression and other such issues. If I see someone about to kill themselves, I'm going to assume that they're going to do something they wouldn't normally do outside of their assumed depression/problems and I am going to stop them. I believe that the fact different drugs like acutane come with the warning label of "it can potentially alter your brain chemistry and make you depressed to the point of committing suicide" shows that depression can be (and in my experience usually is) a temporary/transient brain state that can lead to severely harmful decisions on the depressed person's part that they wouldn't otherwise decide to do.

I has a mental game I'd like to plays... so here it is. What about the idea of indoctrination of said suicidal person into not killing themselves? Maybe that's not the right word, but the idea is pretty much the same. You stop a suicidal person and then you convince them by either logic or somehow forcibly reconstructing the person's thought processes into not wanting to kill themselves. Some say that breaking someone down and making them believe what you want them to so as to further your own agendas is absolutely bad... but what would you who would have let them kill themselves do then? Would you change their new opinions and ideas back to the old? Would you "fix" them so as to let them kill themselves? ...or would you just say that it's ultimately their decision and that their new decision (indoctrinated or not) just happens to be relatively better...but it matters not to you whether or not they actually kill themselves?

If someone is rewired to think differently, then is their new opinion and agenda just as acceptable to you as the last one you were all "well... it's their decision?" Is it bad to rewire someone to value their life more so as to keep them from killing themselves?

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

Suicide.

More people suicide every day.

The last thing that remained in the Pandora's Box is hope.

Does that means that little by little this hope is fading? And soon there will be no hope? Is that why more people chose to suicide? Because they don't have hope?

I know this is kinda strange, but might be true? Who knows.... Is it a suicide that you know you gonna die and you do nothing about it? When you jump off a building you know you gonna die, but you still jump. You are gone be executed but you do nothing to save yourself, you still sit on the electrical chair on your own free will. But then everyone say this is not a suicide.

Suicide is that you know you are gonna die, but you accept it anyway and let it go.

Showing 241-255 of 262