ForumsThe TavernThe 'Rant' Thread

297 59630
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Basically just a thread to rant about anything and everything. I won't bore you with rules or anything, just remember to stick to the community guidelines and don't let this get out of hand

• 297 Replies
waluigi
waluigi
1,948 posts
Shepherd

I've got more ranting to do.

This time it's about my state's government. Pennsylvania has had issues over their budget for the past 3 years, and this year, they're trying to save money by cutting funding for education. What are these dumb ****s doing!? Not only are they hurting my chance at a good education, but they are hurting the chance of a bright future (no pun intended). They need to cut money from something else, or else the state will be in even more shambles than it already is!

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

I just ranted about Rugrats and why "The Real Rugrats Story" is probably fictional.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

This time it's about my state's government. Pennsylvania has had issues over their budget for the past 3 years, and this year, they're trying to save money by cutting funding for education. What are these dumb ****s doing!? Not only are they hurting my chance at a good education, but they are hurting the chance of a bright future (no pun intended). They need to cut money from something else, or else the state will be in even more shambles than it already is!

Most states are doing that now. They've got to learn to cut back in other areas.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

The US spends more money per student then any other nation, and yet were ranked in the low 20's when it comes to education internationally. I wouldn't mind spending the amount we do, if it would show some sign of actually working. :/

Meh, states should cut spending in non-essential areas (paving roads), require state employees to pay more of their benefits, etc. It sees that the only thing that politicians cut is education and the military. May be I should run for office...

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,914 posts
Nomad

They also cut medicare when they could be cutting their massive paycheck.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

And military expenditure.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

It sees that the only thing that politicians cut is education and the military.

When was the last time they cut military spending?
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

When was the last time they cut military spending?

They always do it in teeny bits and peices, so they don't get branded as 'Anti-Safety' or 'Anti-American' by their opposition. A few million here, and a few million there. Though most notably in the last year or so, the F-22 program got the axe.

Since we're pulling out of Iraq, the military would end up spending less on munitions, fuel, etc. But then Obama put all the troops back into Afghanistan.

Meh. Middle East is a lost cause. We've got enough problems on our hands, we should worry about ourselves first. America for Americans?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Meh. Middle East is a lost cause. We've got enough problems on our hands, we should worry about ourselves first.

According to our military history, no place where we've sent troops is ever a lost cause (except maybe Vietnam). We tend to continually press for a remolding of the countries that don't agree with us. Any idea how many puppet governments and coups we've staged?

Here's a timeline of military actions (I made it skip down to the start of the Cold War, because that's when the most happened) It's amazing how many countries we've shaped.

The one I think would've lost Johnson some votes:

The 1967 - Greece â" A CIA-backed military coup overthrows the government two days before the elections. The favorite to win was George Papandreous, the liberal candidate. During the next six years, the "reign of the colonels" â" backed by the CIA â" will usher in the widespread use of torture and murder against political opponents. When a Greek ambassador objects to President Johnson about U.S. plans for Cypress, Johnson tells him: "**** your parliament and your constitution."
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Here' a graph on how much we spend compared to other countries.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_VoTMOdI9adk/SgjjUqd8eTI/AAAAAAAAGCI/5JJE6dH0mDQ/s400/usmilitaryspending.jpg

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

To again change the subject:

Are people just overreacting nowadays? Must everything be so politically correct? I mean you can't say/show/do anything without censoring it as best you can or there will be an outcry. Is it really necessary to block/alter anything that can be found offensive?

Example: "The AG logo contains swords which remind me of violence and wars. It offends me that such deadly things can be found on a site that children may access. It should be altered immediately!"

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

I can agree with that, Emperor. Overreactions to those things occur way to often, and end up restricting privileges of people who aren't affected by the "offensive" item.

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

@EmperorPalpatine, you got that one right! If people have a risk of being exposed to things "so-called offensives", they will be exposed to that. You can't censore everything.

Using AG as an example: They censore everything (nothing against it). But kids can access other uncensored forums freely.

And I agree with what @snowguy13 said too.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Aren't filler words annoying? Like when someone like talks and stuff and they'll like fill up what they're saying and like um just add like a whole bunch of like useless words that like don't contribute to the sentence like at all. Then um they'll keep like talking without like thinking or anything and like keep going with like only sort of like less than half of their like sentence like actually being like a part of the conversation.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,914 posts
Nomad

As funny as that was, I feel your annoyance.

But I hate when people never have their cell phones on them. The point of a cell phone is so you can be reached while you're not at home. If you're always unreachable, it could be days until you found out your house was burned down by arson while you were away on vacation. Or someone close to you died in a car wreck. That's the more extreme cases but in smaller cases, it's also just incredibly annoying if they're your ride to somewhere, they forget and go without you.

Showing 76-90 of 297