ForumsGamesThings you hate in a game

189 30644
greenplanet011
greenplanet011
207 posts
Nomad

Plain and simple.What do you hate in a game.

• 189 Replies
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

What I hate in games:

Games that recycle any thing and act like it is new content or games that reuse the same elements that are repetitive.
DLC that is really expensive that includes nearly nothing but give you an advantage over players if you have it.
Games that have characters that you can easily defeat but always make some sort of BS getaway
I like the force Unleashed but I really couldn't stand the fact that StarKiller was the best Jedi/Sith in the StarWars Universe but always lost to Darth Vader.
Game that are based entirely off movies but somehow have a different story line/plot . Pirates of The Caribbean is a good example.
Games that have horrible Graphics for their time
Games that are meant to be endless to create "More playing time"
Games that are horrifically short
Games that are meant to be realistic but have unrealistic elements for weird reasons
Games that have plenty of glitches that should be fixed but don't ever get fixed. *(Bethesda fix your games)
Games that are sequels but have very little in common with the game before them

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

See, I think complaining about a game's length is unreasonable. A game can only be as long as it aspires to be. You can't fault it against a standard it makes no effort to adhere to.
What does infuriate me is a game that stretches itself thin, that has little content but feels a necessity to be longer than that content warrants it being. Or conversely, a game that ends abruptly without adequate exploration of its mechanics, or with a stunted plot, or with an unsatisfying number of missions or chapters that just leaves one with a sense of incompleteness.

Take Portal, for example. It's short as a game can be, but it explores its mechanics beautifully, it's got excellent pacing, great story and writing, and fascinating environments.
Not a moment, not an inch of the game is wasted.

Actual game length has little to do with it, it's how long the game feels.

Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

We should creat a topic called things you like in a game because sitting around complaining about how a game, is a waste of time. And if I was a developer I would want to know what I should put into a game not what I shouldn't put into a game. Because we can go on and on about games that are crappy but what truly makes a game great. Because I would want to know why a game is worth playing.

vinicius254
vinicius254
88 posts
Templar

I hate when the game lags

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

And if I was a developer I would want to know what I should put into a game not what I shouldn't put into a game.

Ah, but you learn way more from mistakes than from success, don't you? It's far from a waste of time. From the errors of past games you learn lessons that facilitate your own vision.

In fact, developers don't learn nearly enough from their mistakes. For instance, the vast majority of game sequels does nothing to address the core problems of the first game, opting instead to do the same thing but "bigger". Nintendo refuses to accept that their quirky little ideas may well kill their consoles in the long run. EA will continue to put always-online DRM on their games, even though it's terrible for the consumers. But that's because they're *****.

Besides, nobody can really tell you what to put in a game, can they? That's your vision. You can't make art by committee. You can't focus test your ideas.
That's the problem with today's big dumb AAA titles: they're soulless and corporate and pre-approved. The COD games (and their legions of clones) are the way the are because that formula works, financially speaking. And so the industry continues to stagnate, because there's no interest in risking it. People complain about "oh, there's no new IPs, developers are creatively bankrupt" and then turn around and violently assault the new Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed or Halo or Gears of War with fists full of money.

When you buy a game with a "3" at the end, you may well be what's wrong with the industry.
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

In fact, these pre-packaged, endlessly rehashed Battlefield/Call of Duty/Gears of War sort of games are very much the game industry's equivalent of Hollywood's formulaic big dumb action movies that everyone goes out to watch. Difference is, games critics are not quite yet ready to call them on their BS. Game journalism and criticism is still way behind because the medium itself is looked upon as somehow flawed and unartistic.

I mean, just look at Ebert's controversial "games are not art" stance. I respect the man immensely (may he rest in peace) and he later recanted a lot of what he said, but that position reflects the general public's opinion of games as art. The fact that critics praise games when they're "cinematic" is reflective of this - the medium has no credit, so it has to borrow from another. Big review/news websites like IGN and GameSpot being almost entirely funded through games adverts does nothing but contribute to the problem - publishers will use that influence to manipulate review scores, so as to get a better Metacritic rating. Gamers put a lot of trust in those numbers.

What I hope is that we see a rise in smaller yet influential indie reviewers, much like we're seeing a rise in quality indie developers.

What was this thread about again...?

Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

It still is nice to hear some positive things in a while

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

And if I was a developer I would want to know what I should put into a game not what I shouldn't put into a game.

See, but then, you wouldn't have the motivation to want to experiment to try and create something ground-breaking..or of the sorts.

With hearing of what made a game successful, developers would merely try to copy those aspects of the game, for they know that those aspects were successful and would feel no need to try and find new aspects to create success.

With hearing of failures, you know what aspects did poorly, but are allowed the freedom to try and create your own ways of success. You know what to stay away from, but what you can explore for success is up to your imagination
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

A level system that was only put in to make you play for longer.

Sometimes I feel like they're developing a game and one of them decides a level system is an amazing game.

Especially when they make it take a ridiculous amount of time to unlock everything.

Showing 181-189 of 189