ForumsThe TavernWhat did you learn today?

2124 682893
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

You learn something new every day, whether or not you realize it right away. There are no exceptions to this rule.

Today I learned the difference between bowler hats, pork pie hats and fedoras. Before today, they were all just fedoras to me. It never occurred to me that all three of these different hat styles had different names.

I also learned that Roseanne is Jewish, and that gummy shot glasses exist.

http://giantgummybears.com/images/products/ShotGlasses-11Flavors.jpg

It doesn't have to be anything life-changing or significant or anything, just something that you learned. So AG, I ask you now, what did you learn today?

• 2,124 Replies
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Time-travel movies are the most confusing movies out there! I already sort of knew that but today, after watching Looper, it has been confirmed for me!

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I learned from watching Thalassa (a french TV show about the marine world from life in the water to islands around the world, ships, etc.)
That life starts within a week underwater after a volcanic eruption.
Little microscopic animals appear first, then vegetation that will become coral, then bigger animals, fishes, star fish,etc.
While they were observing the lava falling in the water (from a boat), they found unknown fishes that lives deep under water, they came to the surface because of the heat and died. Some were weird looking, like prehistoric fishes.
This weeks theme is the Indian Ocean and the islands within it.
I love that show and I've been watching it for many years.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

I learned that you can get a gun like that gun the main character in Looper had! =O That was a awesome... shotgun... pistol.... handgun.. thing. XD

Skulltivator
Skulltivator
630 posts
Nomad

I've learned that Burrito Bison is a very addicting game.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I read an educational article online about gears, and I learned about all the different types of gears. I was very bored and I was wondering about how they worked from something Masterforger said in the "What Grinds Your Gears" thread. I took a quiz after reading it and got 10/10, so I guess I learned well.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I learned that The Habit burger chain has 63 locations, most of which are right here in California!

Skulltivator
Skulltivator
630 posts
Nomad

I learned not to wear flip-flops on a very hot day. I slipped on my own foot sweat and almost fell into the ivy.

zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

That environmental science is the biggest waste of time in the world...the only reason to take it is because it is honors and therefore comes with a higher GPA

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

I learned today why hamburgers are called hamburgers even though they don't contain ham! It is another great invention of the Germans... =)

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I re-learned, for the first time in 4 years, just how boring presidential debates really are. You know it has to be boring when the highlights of the event are Jim Lehrer's facial expressions.

KingOfAthlum
KingOfAthlum
120 posts
Nomad

I learned how to construct an M110 sniper rifle, mainly used by United States Army Marksmen. There are over 120 separate pieces that go into the rifle.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I re-learned that politics are a neccessary evil... every time I see a debate, or hear a politician talk, or read about all their good intentions... I shake my head and think that a politician's job is probably the closest thing to a modern con artist! Promise 'A', switch to 'B' and end up presenting 'C' to the people... *sigh*

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

I re-learned, for the first time in 4 years, just how boring presidential debates really are. You know it has to be boring when the highlights of the event are Jim Lehrer's facial expressions.

How did you survive Ernie?! I would have died from the following symptoms:

Boredom
Stupidity
Brain Malfunction
and did I say stupidity?

I learned how the V-2 rocket ignites its fuel. Which is great, cause now I know how to build my model rocket.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

How did you survive Ernie?

I fell asleep. It saved my life.

I would have died from the following symptoms:

I would have only died of boredom, because the other symptoms would have required me to actually pay attention.

I learned today how amazing Billy Idol is. I had never seen any of his music videos and I was blown away by the energy behind every single one of them.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

How did you survive Ernie?

I fell asleep. It saved my life.

Ah, I learned something new today as well, sleep plays a very important role in looking at the Presidential elections.. =)
Showing 46-60 of 2124