ForumsWEPRThe Religion Debate Thread

704 250695
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

So yeah, our threads on religion have long since died out, so I figured it would be time to start afresh here!

Do you believe God exists (I know almost all of you don't)? Do you feel religion is important today? Is it a force for good? Discuss everything related to that here!

I'm going to start the ball rolling:

We all know about the rise of ISIS and the terrible acts it perpetuates. Does that show that Islam and religion in general is an awful concept? Is it the people who twist it? Or is it fundamentally an evil force?

Roping in the WERP frequenters
@MageGrayWolf @Kasic @Hahiha @FishPreferred @Doombreed @09philj

• 704 Replies
lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

Sure. I consider biblical authorship important. It would be irresponsible if I didn't.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

The conclusions of who actually wrote which books varies between denominations, the same as every other discrepancy, which you considered minor and all valid reflections of God's perfect will. Clearly it wouldn't make sense to say Moses both did and didn't write the books, since the stances are mutually exclusive, but, as you claimed, vagueness is part of God's plan, so conflicting conclusions are intentional. Either you care about accuracy, or you accept that God's vagueness is the message. You can't hold both stances without cognitive dissonance.

lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

I do care about accuracy. Those who add the Apocryphal or whatever to the Bible are wrong. Other than that, different interpretations of the Bible are acceptable as long as the gospel is presented the same.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

There is actually plenty of evidence that Moses wrote the Pentateuch. First of all, you can tell by his style of writing that it reflects an Egyptian environment at the time it was written. This makes sense because Moses was adopted and raised by Egyptians.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ayUZQnY7lvs/VDBLgjo_SfI/AAAAAAAAd_8/6Ss-iB_x_54/s1600/facepalm%2Bhomer.jpg

1 It does not reflect what was happening in Egypt at all. For example, anyone familiar with Egyptian life would know that the Nile turning blood red is an annual occurrence.
2 If you're trying to argue that Moses himself wrote the Pentateuch, you're going to need more evidence than "the author seems to have heard a bit about Egypt".

I do care about accuracy. Those who add the Apocryphal or whatever to the Bible are wrong.
Then what is the apocrypha? Which books are you cherry-picking here?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

I do care about accuracy.

If you say Moses wrote it, you're taking a stance against the multitude of denominations that disagree. You can't take that stance and also claim that both sides propagate God's Will.
lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

It does not reflect what was happening in Egypt at all. For example, anyone familiar with Egyptian life would know that the Nile turning blood red is an annual occurrence.
But would anyone know several loan words from the Egyptian language? The Pentateuch has more loan words from Egypt than any other books of the Bible. The author is also very familiar with geography, fauna, and flora. Moreover, no where in Exodus does it mention customs passed its time. It's not hard to claim that the author of these books was an eyewitness to the Exodus.

If you're trying to argue that Moses himself wrote the Pentateuch, you're going to need more evidence than "the author seems to have heard a bit about Egypt".
We are just getting started.

If you say Moses wrote it, you're taking a stance against the multitude of denominations that disagree. You can't take that stance and also claim that both sides propagate God's Will.
Which denominations? The people who say that Moses didn't write those books, believe in the document hypothesis which essentially says that the Pentateuch was written by 4 different authors and then several editors put them together. However, it falls flat on many fronts. Firstly, there is no evidence for the various authors. Then, you can take into account that when people put Genesis into a computer to check authorship, there was an 82% chance that it was written by one person based on its idiosyncratic patterns. Furthermore, the document hypothesis says that the different authors are distinguished from one another by the name they call God. It doesn't make sense because there are examples where individual verses or sentences include two names for God. Those denominations who deny Moses is the author of the Pentateuch are in direct conflict with Jesus who said that those who "hear not [i.e. reject] Moses" would not be persuaded "though one rose from the dead" (Luke 16:31). I might also add that the Pentateuch, other Old Testament books, and New Testament books claim that Moses is the author of the Pentateuch. For more
lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

You can't take that stance and also claim that both sides propagate God's Will.
I think I can. But it depends on which denominations you are talking about.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

But it depends on which denominations you are talking about.

If "The Bible in all its variations and flaws account for God's will," that includes the variations you don't like. I see you keep going back to specific denominational sites in order to regurgitate their arguments. You can't hold that all variants are God's Will, and cower back to a shell of familiarity whenever it's convenient. What is your basis for favoring one denomination's views over another, if they're all valid extensions of God's will?
lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

If "The Bible in all its variations and flaws account for God's will," that includes the variations you don't like. I see you keep going back to specific denominational sites in order to regurgitate their arguments. You can't hold that all variants are God's Will, and cower back to a shell of familiarity whenever it's convenient. What is your basis for favoring one denomination's views over another, if they're all valid extensions of God's will?
Well I guess I was wrong about "The Bible in all its variations and flaws". I'm sticking to all of the variations that makes sense to me. If I can find another denominations site with a more compelling argument about the true canon of the Bible, I'll reconsider.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Well I guess I was wrong about "The Bible in all its variations and flaws".

Then we're back 3 pages of unanswered questions:

"The Bible: A vague and heavily modified collection of texts written by several unknown authors before the birth of fact-checking which are even today the subject of considerable disagreement. I'd expect a supreme being of unlimited power to do a lot better."

"There is no body of text that is definitively His Word."

"Which one? There are hundreds of recognized variations, and thousands if not millions of contradicting interpretations."

"Yes, here we are again. A scumbag deity who only saves His very own chosen people under very specific conditions, and is completely oblivious to everyone else."

I'm sticking to all of the variations that makes sense to me.

This is due to cognitive bias. You've already got an idea of what you believe, so you gravitate toward the denominations that agree with you. This flawed reasoning mirrors the guidelines for constructing the bible in the first place.
lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

This is due to cognitive bias. You've already got an idea of what you believe, so you gravitate toward the denominations that agree with you. This flawed reasoning mirrors the guidelines for constructing the bible in the first place.
I grabitate toward them but that doesn't mean I haven't looked at the evidence of which variations convey the right message. Well... I have yet to look at a Catholic's argument or a JW's argument.
lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

With jehovah's Witnesses, I believe they're a separate religion though by the way.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

With jehovah's Witnesses, I believe they're a separate religion though by the way.

Just curious as to why this is. I'm guessing it's because they reject trinitarianism. Though if you accept trinitarianism, that could be problematic since it's a straightforward logical contradiction (what many denominations like Catholicism identify as a 'divine mystery of faith').

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

but that doesn't mean I haven't looked at the evidence of which variations convey the right message.

"the right message" being the one you already agree with.
lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

Just curious as to why this is. I'm guessing it's because they reject trinitarianism. Though if you accept trinitarianism, that could be problematic since it's a straightforward logical contradiction (what many denominations like Catholicism identify as a 'divine mystery of faith')
Denying it would be problematic because Jesus obviously claims that He is God.

"the right message" being the one you already agree with.
The right message being the one that makes the most sense when you actually read the scriptures.
Showing 451-465 of 704