The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsWEPRWorst War in History

617 112675
Mustang2653
Mustang2653
29 posts
Nomad

I think it would have to be world war 2 because of all the lives that were lost

• 617 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Arghh! I quoted wrongly again! The top is actually the quote, the bottom is my own opinion! Sorry!

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Referring to Estel's comment on books being burnt. Yes it was China, the Qin Emperor( first emperor of China) burnt books carrying Confuscious( I think its spelt wrong, I'm more used to his Chinese name Kong Zi) teachings, buried the scholars that believed in Kong Zi's teachings alive! The Emperor believed in Legalism, utter obedience to the state and of course ultimately to the Emperor himself. It wasn't a war actually!

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I understand. The Spanish went around conquering so called &quotagans" in the name of God. They forced natives to follow Christianity which, is unfair of course. They not only did that to the Aztecs and Incans they also did that to the natives of the Philippines. I'd agree that the doings of the Spaniards were massacre and one sided battles but, there were a few instances when the natives fought back.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Clearly most people on here are American. WW1 was the worst war in history. It led to WW2 for one thing.

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

The Spaniard though were Roman Catholics so anything "in the name of God" was from Rome.

The worst thing about the Spanish invasion of the Americas was that the many of the natives regarded Cortes as a God (might have been Quetzacoatl) and did little to stop him. The Spanish conquered the whole of the continent almost with about 125 men (the natives saw men on horse back and thoght they were mystical creatures) and managed to fight hundreds of thousands of people. The ironic thing is they didn't get that much gold in the end for the great South American civilisations Gold as a resource had no value but as a colour it was almost worshipped. Alot of the gold taken was fake or at the best an alloy of several metals.

I agree with woody though WWI was much worse. Though WWII killed more people you were much more likely to die in WWI the death percentage per person was much higher. The conditions were much worse, trenches were some of the most disgusting and deadly places to be before you factor in the enemy. New technology like gas and machine guns forced the general who were in experienced to handle "modern" warfare to make new tactics very quickly. Many british military leaders hadn't fought since the Boer wars and couldn't handle this new type of warfare. At the start of the war French troops would march into battle in bright uniform in nice straight, ordered lines to "intimidate the enemy into surrender" only to be gunned down my German machine guns.

russianfreak
russianfreak
1,843 posts
Farmer

I wouldgo with the Cold war cause s o many inisent people died for no good reason at all.

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

How many people did die in the Cold War? I thought the point of a cold war was that no conflict took place.

Or are wasr like Vietnam counted as a part of it.

Fritz_Rublehem
Fritz_Rublehem
1,076 posts
Nomad

The Spanish Inquisition of present day Latin America was quite bad. They burned many books, and destroyed many artifacts in their quest for gold. They not only destroyed cities, but they killed and enslaved great numbers of Aztecs, Incas, and Mayan people.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

The Spanish Inquisition of present day Latin America was quite bad. They burned many books, and destroyed many artifacts in their quest for gold. They not only destroyed cities, but they killed and enslaved great numbers of Aztecs, Incas, and Mayan people.

It wasn't so much a war as a brutal occupation.

I am still sticking for WW1 mainly because it created the political climate for WW2 so in a way by choosing WW1 I am incorporating WW2 in my descision to some extent. Of course the terrible conditions the men lived and fought in afore mentioned.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Well, Pixie214, for one the Spanish conquered the Amercias with more men than that( they had hundreds of thousands of native "allies" whom they backstabbed later). well, they also believed Cortes was a god at first, until they heard reports about Cortes mortality, brutality and changed their mind over that.

WWII is worse than WWI because of the more terrible weapons and it being not just confined to Europe and the Middle East. And also because of the atomic bomb. But yes, WWI partially set the context of WWII.

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Sorry my mistake it was 600 men including 11 cavalry. There were over 20 million aztecs alone. ( The problem I am having is remembering the difference between what happened to each civilisation and seperating the facts out)

By the time they learnt that Cortes wasn't a God though he had already taken alot of gold and his men had already been let inside and had feasts etc.

Talo
Talo
945 posts
Nomad

Define Worst

The most poorly fought war was the civil war. Most of the fights had humorous results. There was no real order to things, and corruption was everywhere.

pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

WWII, Hitler massacred many Jewish people for no reason. Stalin (before and during WWII) killed about 40 million of his own people. Mussolini rebuilt Ancient Rome just to make an attempt to achieve Rome's power

Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

WW2 because of all the supplies wasted and all the bomb's used 2000 bombs in estimation wise (grenades, plane bombs, etc.) and the holocaust was going on as well so WW2 In my opinion

zachattacksox
zachattacksox
279 posts
Nomad

WW2 so many lives were lost and MANY countries were involved.

Showing 91-105 of 617