ForumsWEPRAbortion

1508 314168
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

What my peers here think?

I would like to try and avoid a buch of rabid Catholics and Christians falling back only on the religious reasons and what have you. However, I do not see how that can be dodged.

My view? I'm for it. If a woman wants to get one, it is her choice. Some people seem to act like if one woman gets an abortion, it means that all the rest have to. If the child in question is not yours, butt out.

Also, on a lighter note, I say that abortions should be allowed when kids are up to 18 years old. That would solve a lot of headaches, eh?

• 1,508 Replies
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

His point was, at least I think, that adoption cenetrs are already crowded, and that the child can't be happy in there; no child should be killed. But it's wrong to give birth to a child just for the sake of your own conscience, even when you know it won't be happy (remember, children are one of the most frequent reason for poverty, and if a mother can't offer a good life to a child while ruining her own life too by giving birth, why should she be forced to?)

Yes, thank you. If abortion was made illegal we would have over a million more kids. And there will be kids who suffer, and mothers who suffer. Much more then if its illegal. Mothers should have a say in whether or not they produce life. And with abortion illegal, there will be mothers with no say.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

And taking into account that a human is distinguished from animals because of our advanced brains, it's not really a human unless it's brain is distinguishably more complex then an animals

Well, then things would be a little tricky.

Link

Then things get complicated, because its a living breathing human, its just not as smart as a chimp.
Sir__Ila
Sir__Ila
57 posts
Peasant

a human embryo develops it's 1st brainwaves after 5 to 7 weeks after fertilization.

And even the the 9th to 16th Week, it's brain has minimal operation.

That's assuming human life is based on brain activity. You could be wrong.
loco5
loco5
16,287 posts
Peasant

no, we're pretty right, most humans have brains. even then though it's technically just a parasite.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Um, it is.

0 brain activity = dead
Sir__Ila
Sir__Ila
57 posts
Peasant

no, we're pretty right, most humans have brains. even then though it's technically just a parasite.

Most humans also have skin, teeth, and genetic information. Most humans in my area have some kind of housing. Everyone I know has hair somewhere on his or her body.

Um, it is.

0 brain activity = dead

How do you know that brain activity is the measure for whether something is living? What about heartbeat? Local nervous responses? Individual cellular function? You've arbitrarily decided what the measure for life is. What if arbitrarily decide it's the presence of complete genetic information? Or, maybe, employment?
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

How do you know that brain activity is the measure for whether something is living?

It's one of the ways to check if something is consciously (that's the key word) living.

Local nervous responses?

The brain is the center of the nervous system so if it's not working the nervous system is pointless.

You've arbitrarily decided what the measure for life is.

You can't measure life, something is alive or it isn't.
Sir__Ila
Sir__Ila
57 posts
Peasant

Measure can mean criteria, and that's the definition I was using. Can you really decide that consciousness is based 100% on brain activity, and that consciousness is the proper criterion for determining if something is alive? How do you know?

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Can you really decide that consciousness is based 100% on brain activity

Yes, what else would it be on?
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Can you really decide that consciousness is based 100% on brain activity, and that consciousness is the proper criterion for determining if something is alive? How do you know?

Well first, its how we determine humans are alive and human. I suppose you could live for a while whithout brain activity. But it would be hard to eat, feel, smell, see, touch, hear, ect...
Sir__Ila
Sir__Ila
57 posts
Peasant

There is always that possibility that humans have souls. Most atheists would not venture to say that they know with certainty that no God exists and that humans are definitely only material.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Well first, its how we determine humans are alive

We usually use the heart for that part, it's much easier to check.

I suppose you could live for a while whithout brain activity. But it would be hard to eat, feel, smell, see, touch, hear, ect

Not without being hooked up to machines that force your body to preform every function that your brain usually does (that's a lot of functions), and even then you probably won't survive for ever in that state.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

There is always that possibility that humans have souls.

You can't rely on some possibility with no evidence.
Sir__Ila
Sir__Ila
57 posts
Peasant

What if there is a sound argument?

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

What if there is a sound argument?

If there is a sound argument, with proof, then sure make abortions illegal. But so far, there hasn't been that argument.
Showing 1486-1500 of 1508