ForumsWEPRAbortion

1508 315011
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

What my peers here think?

I would like to try and avoid a buch of rabid Catholics and Christians falling back only on the religious reasons and what have you. However, I do not see how that can be dodged.

My view? I'm for it. If a woman wants to get one, it is her choice. Some people seem to act like if one woman gets an abortion, it means that all the rest have to. If the child in question is not yours, butt out.

Also, on a lighter note, I say that abortions should be allowed when kids are up to 18 years old. That would solve a lot of headaches, eh?

• 1,508 Replies
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Give us some dam statistics. I would think of those abortions are done improperly due to laws that prevent it and in poorer countries where they do not have the technology our hospitals have.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

A: She should have used condom. Or, she should have waited to have sex until she was married and ready for a child.

Contraceptives are not just the duty of the woman bit the man. Why should she suffer for his failure to use a condom, especially if she used spermicides or the Pill?

If she did use a condom, and it just broke, that is not the kids fault. That's a risk you have to take when you have sex.

There is a risk that an elephant will trample you when you watch a circus. There is a risk that you will die from a coconut falling on your head. Life sucks, but preventing the victim form entering a hospital ward from the wounds inflicted by the elephant or the coconut is illogical, we should allow people to take action to improve their situation.

Fact: 70% of women who get an abortion become depressed later in life. 30% of those 70 % commit suicide.

Fact: When ice cream sales increase so do murder rates.

Women who are in the situation where they need abortions are, regrettably, often in worse financial and mental states to begin with, the abortion doesn't necessarily cause those problems. Also, that is no reason to stop a woman from having an abortion, she might think it is in her self interest to have one; you have no position to say otherwise.

Fact: 57,000,000 babies are killed worldwide each year due to abortion.

Fetus is not the equivalent of baby. This is an emotional argument, not a logical one.

Fact: 59% of women who get an abortion have insane health problems later in life, like not being able to get pregnant, heart and liver conditions that can prove to be fatal, and other things like that.

That is a risk the woman must evaluate.

Fact: 90% of women who get abortions regret there decision and warn other women from getting an abortion.

I really want a source for this one. Also, that is no reason to stop a woman from having an abortion, it is their choice.
Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

Fact: 90% of women who get abortions regret there decision and warn other women from getting an abortion.

I've seen it debunked on factcheck.org, I think.
Snakebite
Snakebite
996 posts
Nomad

Really? Where is this from? I never heard of that. Is this possibly a Republican lie?

No, it's not a Republican lie. It's fact. Abortions are mentally harmful as well as physically.
Yakooza99K
Yakooza99K
588 posts
Nomad

A human is worthless if they grow up to an unprepared family

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Well, let's take a look at some news sources here. It is hardly surprising to me that women who have abortions or a miscarriage may have a higher risk of suffering depression.

The question to you would be in what way is this actually relevant to the debate at hand? Perhaps in some small way it should remind us that the most relevant consequences of abortion itself would be to those who remain thereafter.

tanstaafl28
tanstaafl28
336 posts
Farmer

The problem with this debate is that it is framed in such a way as to keep both sides fighting amongst themselves with no end in sight.

The answer would seem to be to look at the cause instead of the effect.

Cause = unwanted pregnancy
Effect = abortion

If we want to truly stop abortions, we must work together to stop unwanted pregnancies. To do this, we should provide free, or low cost contraception, teach comprehensive sex education in our public schools, and teach young women that sex does not equal love.

sambolini
sambolini
5 posts
Nomad

i agree with tanstaafl28, we should work to stop unwanted pregnancy from happening, and teach sex-ed in schools. Although the truth is, teens and others will never completely stop having sex just for love, it just won't happen. I also think that the sex taboo in school subjects is bull. This generation has(in my experience) been raised to be less offended by the open conversation about sex. All these god damned old people who were raised by different standards should stop whining about &quotrotecting the children", lets face it, sex is a common topic in even 6th grade and the banning of sex related stuff in school( and I'm not talking like dildos and stuff, that's just wrong) is retarded.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

I'd agree with a lot of that but what do you mean by sex related stuff? Also just they don't whine i mean if you look back they were a bit more succesful with there...generation. Also don't call them that, thats a bit harsh considering some people are still christians(like me )

Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

Also don't call them that, thats a bit harsh considering some people are still christians(like me )

So, if they weren't Christians, we could insult them?
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

So, if they weren't Christians, we could insult them?

no...? But I'm fairly sure thats what he was refering to...honestly christian, muslim, catholic, whatever thats a really harsh and dare i saw ignorant term.
russianfreak
russianfreak
1,843 posts
Farmer

ok here is my point of view.
i think that it is wrong here is why if people put other people to jail why shouldn't the women that kill there baby put to jail the baby is a living thing as soon as it is in the stomach you know.

tanstaafl28
tanstaafl28
336 posts
Farmer

What my peers here think?
I would like to try and avoid a buch of rabid Catholics and Christians falling back only on the religious reasons and what have you. However, I do not see how that can be dodged.
My view? I'm for it. If a woman wants to get one, it is her choice. Some people seem to act like if one woman gets an abortion, it means that all the rest have to. If the child in question is not yours, butt out.
Also, on a lighter note, I say that abortions should be allowed when kids are up to 18 years old. That would solve a lot of headaches, eh?

Unfortunately, the argument concerning abortion is an irrational one. Should access to legal and clean abortions be permitted? I believe it should. Should abortion degenerate into a method of birth control? I think it should not.

Because this debate is irrational, neither side wants to look for a compromise solution. If everyone could just take a step back and recognize that there can be a common goal that would achieve the objectives of both sides. All it takes is time and committment.

The pro-life focus has been on ending legal abortion. The pro-abortion focus has been on defending it. This is a veritable stalemate looking for one thing or another to tip the balance. This approach by both groups ignores the cause and attacks the effect.

The cause of abortion is unwanted pregnancy, the effect is an abortion. Logically, the answer is not to waste resources attempting to abridge legal abortion, but to spend more resources preventing unwanted pregnancies. Reducing the number of unwanted pregnancies will naturally reduce the number of abortions.

How do we reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies? Through comprehensive sex education, free, or low-cost access to birth control, and instilling our young women with greater self-esteem, so they do not seek pregnancy as a means of achieving unconditional love.

Of course, this makes too much sense. As I said, the argument is irrational and highly emotionally charged. People won't listen to reason because they don't want to listen. They want total victory and will settle for nothing less. Until we learn to work together, this debate will remain a flashpoint and a wedge issue.

United we stand, divided we fall.
tanstaafl28
tanstaafl28
336 posts
Farmer

i agree with tanstaafl28, we should work to stop unwanted pregnancy from happening, and teach sex-ed in schools. Although the truth is, teens and others will never completely stop having sex just for love, it just won't happen. I also think that the sex taboo in school subjects is bull. This generation has(in my experience) been raised to be less offended by the open conversation about sex. All these god ****ed old people who were raised by different standards should stop whining about &quotrotecting the children", lets face it, sex is a common topic in even 6th grade and the banning of sex related stuff in school( and I'm not talking like dildos and stuff, that's just wrong) is retarded.

Unfortunately, it's a highly emotional issue and people are not willing to look at it rationally.
Shadow_Blade
Shadow_Blade
23 posts
Nomad

I don't think abortion should be allowed. If a woman is pregnant, and she doesn't want to take care of the child, then you just destroy a life? People always say that the woman has the right to choose about having an abortion, but did the child have a say in it? If someone murdered someone else, wouldn't you want them to go to jail? It's exactly the same with abortion, your still killing a human being.

Showing 796-810 of 1508