ForumsWEPRAbortion

1508 311296
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

What my peers here think?

I would like to try and avoid a buch of rabid Catholics and Christians falling back only on the religious reasons and what have you. However, I do not see how that can be dodged.

My view? I'm for it. If a woman wants to get one, it is her choice. Some people seem to act like if one woman gets an abortion, it means that all the rest have to. If the child in question is not yours, butt out.

Also, on a lighter note, I say that abortions should be allowed when kids are up to 18 years old. That would solve a lot of headaches, eh?

• 1,508 Replies
carltherune
carltherune
44 posts
Nomad

Devoidless, I was saying that killing the embryo is like killing the person, as the embryo will be a person.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

because it is only a potential life means that it isn't an independent being. Two independent entities cannot be in 1 body. One vetoes rights to the other, in this case, the mother because she isn't a potential life. Point is potential life isn't life.

razaki
razaki
263 posts
Nomad

If your basis for it being a "life" is the potentiality factor, where do you draw the line, and on what basis?

Every sperm in a man's body and every egg in a female's body has the POTENTIAL to be a life, but no one in their right mind believes them to be a living entity.

Yeah, I sneaked in a reference to the safety issue in a post of mine a few pages back but you brought it up in a better way, Carlie. I totally agree with you.

Pela
Pela
4 posts
Nomad

So here is my two cents. I don't think I would get an abortion, but nor do I want to be the person making that decision for other people. I think that if we taught actually sex ed in school, not just "the only safe sex is no sex" maybe so many teens who are not ready to be parents would not have babies or abortions.
Also, I think the legal age for abortion should match the states legal age of consent.

razaki
razaki
263 posts
Nomad

I completely agree with the first part of your post, Pela, but not with the last.

The age of consent issue is really grounds for a whole new topic, but I'll throw my quick opinion in here for good measure:

It doesn't matter WHAT the age of consent is, people are going to have sex before it, willingly. Consequently, some of them are going to need abortions.

Who here REALLY wants a 12 year old trying to raise a child?

Pela
Pela
4 posts
Nomad

Sorry razaki, I should have have been more clear. I just had this conversation two days ago, so I forgot to explain. Legal age without parents consent. I agree with the idea that a 12 year old cannot and should not raise a child.

razaki
razaki
263 posts
Nomad

Ah, I see.

I still must disagree with you, though, albeit not as strongly.

The fact is that many parents would not allow their children to have an abortion based off of moral beliefs, so that 12 year old would still be forced to carry that baby and birth it. I believe that it should still be that person's decision.

I realize that it is foolish to put a decision of that magnitude on a 12 year old girl, but it is a necessary evil, in my opinion.

Pela
Pela
4 posts
Nomad

I think that might be a completely new conversation. I just think that if I had a daughter, who was 12, I would like to know if she is going to have an abortion. Only because of the toll an abortion takes of an adult, I wouldn't want my child going into that lightly.

carltherune
carltherune
44 posts
Nomad

People were saying that if you are sexually assaulted and have a child, the child will always remind you of that experience. But, what if you had the child, and put it up for adoption?

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Pela, you bring up a good point. It's hard to lay blanket statements down in this debate because it is very situational.

Carl, that may be a better option at times, but not always. What if the girl that was sexually assaulted was done so by her uncle. I, personally, believe that incest is grounds for abortion.

jwalshjr
jwalshjr
536 posts
Peasant

ya as carlie has said, there are certain tight situations were it is ok, but normally it is a bad thing because your taking there chance to live, but if needed, its good we have it, but a lot of people abuse it

razaki
razaki
263 posts
Nomad

Absolutely, jwalsh.

As with anything that can be used for normal or good purposes, people will undoubtedly find some way to abuse it.

I don't agree with abortions as a form of birth control...responsibility is a good thing. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, we need more pre-pregnancy methods of educating people on contraceptives and simply being safe with methods other than berating them to not have sex.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

I think that far too many people against abortion think that it will just be used as the main sorce of birth control. Which I do beleive we all know is not the truth.

There is no way to stop it even if it was illegal, so people trying to stop it are cauing more harm than anything. If it is found illegal(I doubt it ever will), you can be sure to find ladies in back allies with Dr. Ghoul get abortions or potentially hurting themselves doing it a homebrewed way.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Carl, it is not just so easy for a woman to put a child up for adoption. She would still have to live with the child in her womb for 9 months. In addition, having a pregnancy can disrupt someones entire life. For example, if I somehow got pregnant right now, I would probably have to not only postpone everything I had planned for a future job (because it is not pregnancy friendly), but would not be able to focus on school like I need to as well. So not only would I not want the pregnancy, but it would also change my current and future goals for myself. All because someone else may have been irresponsible, I would have to change my entire life around for something that I did not want.

Does that seem fair? It is not just the after pregnancy that you have to worry about, but the pregnancy also takes away 9 months of your life.

Having a child is a beautiful thing, but if unwanted, it could basically ruin a womans life.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

I guess that's a female thing.

Showing 76-90 of 1508