ForumsWEPRAbortion

1508 314163
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

What my peers here think?

I would like to try and avoid a buch of rabid Catholics and Christians falling back only on the religious reasons and what have you. However, I do not see how that can be dodged.

My view? I'm for it. If a woman wants to get one, it is her choice. Some people seem to act like if one woman gets an abortion, it means that all the rest have to. If the child in question is not yours, butt out.

Also, on a lighter note, I say that abortions should be allowed when kids are up to 18 years old. That would solve a lot of headaches, eh?

• 1,508 Replies
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

I agree strongly with what Carlie said in the 2nd post. Under certain cercumstances abortion is apropriate. Under other cercumstances, it is not. If a woman is raped or abused, I would actualy encourage abortion.

If a woman is pregnant because the protection failed (and considering both her and her partner agreed upon having intercourse), then I feel the woman should go through with the birth unless the pregnancy would either cause long term negative effects or death.

Sometimes a woman will be tempted to get an abortain because the boyfriend who should stay around and take care of his child would most likely run off (words of advice to all you ladys out there, all men are dogs, you just need to find the most loyal one).

I beleive that if the guy does run off but it is not too late for an abortion, then it would become an apropriate option.

There are way to many things that come into play so it is hard/impossible to realy come up with a list seperating what makes abortion right or wrong.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

So...the question is...?

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Is abortion wrong or right? That is the question. I beleive it depends on the situation.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Have you been in a kind of situation like that lots?

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

No, but I know a few people in some of the situations I mentioned. I am still aloud to have an opinion.

carltherune
carltherune
44 posts
Nomad

I think that the question of the morality of abortion is truly subjective, as some people would say that telling a lie is wrong, while others would say that telling a lie is ok, as long as nobody gets hurt.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Telling a lie is not necessarily wrong, it all depends on what that lie is and why that lie was told and what the entention of the lie was.

A simular thing can be said for abortion. Why does the woman want to get an abortion, was it her choice to go into intercourse, will the child end up hurting her (is she able to safely bare the child), and so on.

There is no real line that seperates good or evil or right and wrong, you just have to estimate and guess.

hotshot10
hotshot10
6 posts
Nomad

i beleave its the mom's choise but i also beleave abortion is like murder its taking a life from this world.

mr3
mr3
19 posts
Nomad

I think its wrong. the poor baby doesn't even get to expirence life like the rest of us and thats just not fair...if moms don't want a baby y don't they just take it child services or to an orphanage or something instead of having an abortion...but thats just thier choice and nobody can do anything about it. Or can they......

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

Taking life from this world...
If you're a complete vegan and also don't take medicine if you have a virus, then I'll be very sympathetic towards your views. But life has no intrinsic worth. Why is life good? If you were never born, you really wouldn't care.
I personally hate the cycle of having to get up and go to work so I can get money to put gas in my car so I can go to work again. I doubt I would have to deal with that if I had never existed.
There are some pretty compelling anti-abortion arguments out there. I'll rack my tiny brain to come up with some.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

Many of the more contemporary philosophical discussions about abortion usually focus on just a few issues:
1) When is a fetus a person?
2) Does a person naturally have a "right to life?"
3) Is killing the potential for life the same as killing a living thing itself?

These are all issues that have the potential to be answered without any religious influence at all (at least in the argument). Anyone have any strong feeling about these 3 issues?

razaki
razaki
263 posts
Nomad

I believe that number 3 is the most interesting argument for my own purposes, and it's a question that's fairly subjective in its answer.

For myself, I absolutely think there is a difference in the two. Once something truly becomes a living being, yes, killing it is murder; aborting a fetus, however, who has no conscious thought, no feelings, no emotions, etc., and who only MAY become a life - if "god" doesn't decide to allow the woman to have a miscarriage of course - is not murder. Period.

idrumtomuch
idrumtomuch
96 posts
Shepherd

No reason to be pro-life.

What kind of baby wants to be brought up in a crappy 15 year old household because someone is against an abortion.

Living in destitute < not living

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

Good point Razaki.
If someone did believe that taking the potential for life is the same as taking away life itself, then if you shoot someone you should be found guilty of 100 million counts of murder or something (I have no idea how many sperm and eggs are present in the body).

razaki
razaki
263 posts
Nomad

Yep, absolutely.

Agreed, as well, idrumtomuch.

Showing 91-105 of 1508