ForumsWEPRAbortion

1508 314933
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

What my peers here think?

I would like to try and avoid a buch of rabid Catholics and Christians falling back only on the religious reasons and what have you. However, I do not see how that can be dodged.

My view? I'm for it. If a woman wants to get one, it is her choice. Some people seem to act like if one woman gets an abortion, it means that all the rest have to. If the child in question is not yours, butt out.

Also, on a lighter note, I say that abortions should be allowed when kids are up to 18 years old. That would solve a lot of headaches, eh?

• 1,508 Replies
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

It's called accidental pregnancy. It happens all the time.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

It's called accidental pregnancy. It happens all the time

Thats why abortion should be allowed. If its an accidental pregnancy, Im pretty shure Im not going to be accited to be a father.
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

You never know. A lot of happy families come from accidental pregnancy. E.G.: Mine.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

It should be a group decision. You were together when it happened, you gotta be together when it ends

Why exactly? What legal statute dictates that someone else should make decisions made about their own body?

Did I have an abortion because I peeled an orange?

You're completely missing the point. It isn't about whether or not masturbation causes pregnancy but whether the argument that fetuses have the potential for human life is a sound one. Masturbation is an example of where there is potential for life. Therefore, if you want to ban abortion on the grounds that it will eventually become human, you'd have to ban masturbation too.

I believe that you have a viable human being at conception so in effect the abortion of an embryo or fetus is the abortion of a human being.

I consider the life of a person to have intrinsic worth. A fetus, incapable of thought, and having absolutely no memories or experiences is not a person.

Within the legal parameters for abortion, fetuses cannot feel pain, think, or experience any sensations at all. All the cognitive development occurs in the third trimester. Therefore, you could either argue that abortion should be illegal before the third trimester (which it is), or it starts being a person later on (ability to perceive pain, first experience of independent host etc.)

Honestly, if you think fetuses are deserved of human rights at conception, we might as well give plants human rights too.
rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

As it is a fetus is closer to being a parasite then a human, its thinking capabilities a primitive at most and non existent at least(depending on your definition of thinking in this sense), it is on its own very weak but it is attached to a much stronger individual whom it feeds off of and weakens its host causing various side effects, like I said multiple times already, a fetus is more than a mere inconvenience.

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,520 posts
Farmer

As it is a fetus is closer to being a parasite then a human, its thinking capabilities a primitive at most and non existent at least(depending on your definition of thinking in this sense), it is on its own very weak but it is attached to a much stronger individual whom it feeds off of and weakens its host causing various side effects, like I said multiple times already, a fetus is more than a mere inconvenience.

Well thank God that your mother didn't think you were an inconvenience.
rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

Don't bring your imaginary friend into this.
And considering I caused morning sickness and all that good stuff, she probably did.

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

No. You mom probably thought that she was blessed because she was going to have a child. No mother anywhere has ever thought of their child as a parasite.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

No. You mom probably thought that she was blessed because she was going to have a child. No mother anywhere has ever thought of their child as a parasite.

If she thought she was blessed then should whould have TRIED. No mother anywere that actualy wanted the baby ever thought it was a parisite.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Sorry for the double post, but this is a quote that proves some people don't like having children... and its riligios...

The manifest divine wrath of a vengefull God in punishment for screwing.
God: Thou shalt button up thine fly or I shall become wroth with thee!

Guy: Uhhh, nay(?)

<KAZAMM>

Child: Wah, scream, crap, cash drain etc...

Guy: Oh crud

God: I told thee...

Chick: Wheres my 75% share of your salary?

Guy: Oh crud

God: DONT say I didnt tell thee...
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

You're completely missing the point. It isn't about whether or not masturbation causes pregnancy but whether the argument that fetuses have the potential for human life is a sound one. Masturbation is an example of where there is potential for life. Therefore, if you want to ban abortion on the grounds that it will eventually become human, you'd have to ban masturbation too.

I think I mentioned that the argument was whether or not fetuses have the potential for human life.

PG.115
Some peoples views differ on when you could say a baby has actually formed (at conception or how many weeks along in the pregnancy)

Pg.118
The question is whether or not someone believes a pregnancy is a human life and then at what time the life is human.

Pg.118
The typical debate is whether or not that pregnancy is a human life or not.

Pg.118
In other words we are debating if pregnancy = human life or not.

Pg.120
The debate comes about abortion (what you just asked me now) is whether or not one believes the embryo or fetus is a human and/or at what point it becomes a human and then, in effect, whether or not abortion is right or wrong.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I think I mentioned that the argument was whether or not fetuses have the potential for human life.

Then you agree with me? I don't see the point you are trying to make here.
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I don't see the two as related. Earlier I was saying the ends of masturbation are not the ends of abortions, I wasn't really talking about the potential for life.

A sperm is one half of a whole. Its potential for life isn't anywhere near the potential of life for an embryo or fetus. I said before a sperm doesn't every become human after waiting any period of time. The sperm has to fertilize ovum (egg). I don't know how many different ways to explain it, I did explain in a bunch of posts though.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

A sperm is one half of a whole. Its potential for life isn't anywhere near the potential of life for an embryo or fetus. I said before a sperm doesn't every become human after waiting any period of time. The sperm has to fertilize ovum (egg). I don't know how many different ways to explain it, I did explain in a bunch of posts though.

Ill use one of your examples. THe magnet one. You keep the magnets from touching, thus not letting the whole ever start thus making it so you don't need abortion. But if somthing fails and your hand moves, then the magnets are together. You could just remove them, having the same end affect.
rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

I don't see the two as related. Earlier I was saying the ends of masturbation are not the ends of abortions, I wasn't really talking about the potential for life.

Abortion really is only stopping the potential of life(yes, you could word that differently but it would still be to the same affect).
Showing 1186-1200 of 1508