The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsWEPREvolution, creationism and the school cirriculum

697 104864
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Well to start out i dont beleive in evoltuion so the fact that other things cant be taught really ticks me off but i just want to see what people think and why.

• 697 Replies
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

You can teach art in math and math in art as tessellations are a geometric form of art. But I digress, while religion should not be taught in biology perhaps an elective on religion should be added? To clarify this class would focus on the major religions of the world and the beliefs behind them, not just one single religion.

Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

Man, your sentence is choppy.

Your also using Dan's aramatar.

if an elective on religion is added on, wouldn't that just completely cancel the effect of the biology class?

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

I wasn't attempting to be grammatically correct. Don't you mean sentences? Thank you Captain Obvious. It may depending on who you get to teach it, the point is however that this gives kids both sides of the argument instead of just god created everything/the world exploded into being.

foxlink
foxlink
270 posts
Nomad

i think that they should simply say that it is a theory, and can not be proven (since it takes 100's of years) and religious ideas are just as valid, thus pushing the issue to the individual not the school, should they study it, yes, in high school or middle school,

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Where did you think I meant for it to be studied as far as I know high School and middle school are the only places that offer electives, atleast until college.

yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

i don't know why you would limit it to the major religions of the world like that. it doesn't take a long time to talk about them.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Well the objective was to go in depth their traditions, their ceremonies, the complete histories of these religions what crimes have been committed against its followers and by it's followers.

yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

That would be another topic then. This one is on teaching creationism in schools. If you start a class on creationism, then there's no need to limit it to the top 5 or 6 major ones, since it apperas all religions have ideas on that.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Foxlink, has the right idea. It all depends on the way it is taught. If it is taught just like Descartes is taught, as just notions that made sense at the time and not really applicable today...then no problem.

Maverick5762
Maverick5762
240 posts
Peasant

i think that they should simply say that it is a theory, and can not be proven (since it takes 100's of years) and religious ideas are just as valid, thus pushing the issue to the individual not the school, should they study it, yes, in high school or middle school,

Not trying to be too confrontational, but I would like to point out that studying and &quotroving" evolution do not necessarily need to take 100s of years. Yes, with humans and other species that have lifetimes in the decades, and only reproduce every few decades, evolution would theoretically take thousands upon millions of years to noticeably take place.
However, it is based on the number of generations. Evolution has been observed in some bacteria samples, where they reproduce several times daily, going through many many generations in the course of a week, months or years.

Also, I don't agree that religion is "just as valid" because there is really no evidence or theory behind it, just stories. We have examples and observed evolution on a smaller scale among microscopic organisms.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Theory of evolution and creationism is not equal. Stating this only shows you have no understanding of what a theory is and how it's developed. Unlike evolution there is no evidence supporting creationism. So it's like saying Zeus throwing lightning bolts is just as valid as it being an atmospheric phenomenon.

Evolution has been observed in some bacteria samples, where they reproduce several times daily, going through many many generations in the course of a week, months or years.

Yep, if it wasn't for evolution we wouldn't have to worry about things like swine flu, bird flu, or Aids. We wouldn't have to continually make changes to things like vaccines or pesticides.
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,437 posts
Farmer

If you're going to claim these two ideas as equal I'm going to need to have god proven to be real. Also a theory is an idea with evidence that strongly supports the idea. Otherwise it'd be a hypothesis.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Right. Who necro'd this?

Unlike evolution there is no evidence supporting creationism.

Ignorance ftw...?

The evidence "for" evolution can be used "for" creationism as well it all depends on your original Earth view. As I talked about with my biology teacher this issue is a very touchy subject and must be handled with care. Personally from what I've seen many people on this thread don't really have a right to post on here because they seem to be lacking even a basic knowledge of ID or creationism. It's not your fault because it's something you generally have to study for yourself but all the same maybe do a bit of reading?

Personally I of course believe in micro-evolution as should anyone with a brain. However when macro-evolution is brought up I question it, not from a Christian standpoint but from a scientific one, because much of it seems to be based upon previous assumptions. This brings us back to the fact that the "facts" can be and will be interpreted different ways based on one's previous world-view.

That being said I think it't important to teach evolution as a theory, a very very good theory by a theory none the less. Creationism has no place in the public education system but ID has at least a small one. I'm not proposing that it be taught but that it be at least brought up.

K bye.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

The evidence "for" evolution can be used "for" creationism as well it all depends on your original Earth view.

No that's complete and utter bull%&^%.

Personally from what I've seen many people on this thread don't really have a right to post on here because they seem to be lacking even a basic knowledge of ID or creationism.

here's the basics of ID. Things are really really complex, so there must be a creator.

Personally I of course believe in micro-evolution as should anyone with a brain. However when macro-evolution is brought up I question it,

Micro and macro evolution is the same thing it's just a matter of scale.

This brings us back to the fact that the "facts" can be and will be interpreted different ways based on one's previous world-view.

Evolution is not a world view. It's a scientific theory. That means it's a tested plausible explanation for what we have observed.

That being said I think it't important to teach evolution as a theory, a very very good theory by a theory none the less.

Yes it's a theory. That's the best thing you can have in science. It being a theory doesn't diminish it but elevates it.

Creationism has no place in the public education system but ID has at least a small one.

Creationism and ID is the same damn thing. They only went to a generalization of a "designer" a.k.a. god as a means to trying and slip it past the separation of church and state.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

here's the basics of ID. Things are really really complex, so there must be a creator.

My bad this is ID not creationism.
ID basics are... things are really really complex, so there must be a designer.
Showing 466-480 of 697