The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsWEPREvolution, creationism and the school cirriculum

697 104861
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Well to start out i dont beleive in evoltuion so the fact that other things cant be taught really ticks me off but i just want to see what people think and why.

• 697 Replies
thingthingjack
thingthingjack
43 posts
Nomad

the truth should be taught in public schools. since evolution's true, then that's what should be taught.

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

I think the fuss about this is ridiculous. Evolution =/= Atheism! That's a major misconception that almost all Creationists hold. Evolution has been proved. On the other hand, no religion(or lack thereof) has solid proof, therefore tax dollars should not go to teaching it. Evolution is not teaching "there is no god" it is teaching about heredity and the way life formed as it is today. There is a mountain of [unbiased] evidence to prove it, therefore it is a tried and true theory, as well as a very important one. If parents want their children to learn about God and Jesus, send them to a private Christian school, thank you very much. And in the meantime, please stick your noses out of our goddamn curriculum.
Thank you and good night.

locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

Unfortunate word choice much? Also, there is no need to swear in the forum. Go do it somewhere else please.

your not her mod... she deserved that swear she owned creationists

also if they put creationism in my school even if it was optional i would complain
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Unfortunate word choice much? Also, there is no need to swear in the forum. Go do it somewhere else please.

This is a PG-13 forum. Even PG-13 allows for some swearing, particularly if it's censored. I apologize if I offended you in some way with my one tiny little cuss, but seriously...if you're that easily offended, the internetz is not for you.
Also, quote fail. Lol.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

If parents want their children to learn about God and Jesus, send them to a private Christian school, thank you very much. And in the meantime, please stick your noses out of our god**** curriculum.

What if a parent want's their child to hear both both sides of the debate or at least be given a chance to learn why creation is fundamentally wrong and not science at all. There should be more protection for teachers who simply try to present their student with all the evidence not just with the theory of Evolution. Not only would this expand the child's knowledge of the debate but it might help some to see the fallacies associated with creationism.

Don't teach it, inform about it and let the students debate it.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,520 posts
Farmer

Or they don't have enough money... happens all the time.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

What if a parent want's their child to hear both both sides of the debate or at least be given a chance to learn why creation is fundamentally wrong and not science at all. There should be more protection for teachers who simply try to present their student with all the evidence not just with the theory of Evolution. Not only would this expand the child's knowledge of the debate but it might help some to see the fallacies associated with creationism

"This kids is called alchemy kids! We have to teach it to you to prove it is fundamentally wrong. Don't forget your homework on the ether!"

Not to mention there are thousands of gods said to create the earth, good luck teaching them all...
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

What if a parent want's their child to hear both both sides of the debate or at least be given a chance to learn why creation is fundamentally wrong and not science at all.

I would be in favor of teaching it as an example of failed methodology, however there are a number if science class school teachers who are creationists who would take advantage of it and slant things to creationism.

You might have heard this comparison but teaching creationism as the other side is like teaching the stork theory as the other side to biological reproduction.

There should be more protection for teachers who simply try to present their student with all the evidence not just with the theory of Evolution.

The thing is creationism doesn't have evidence to present. It has a load of fallacies, quote mines, and out right lies.

Don't teach it, inform about it and let the students debate it.

If it was part of a debate class or team then that might work but not in a science class.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,520 posts
Farmer

Not to mention there are thousands of gods said to create the earth, good luck teaching them all...

Wait I prepared for that. But there's still a 69% chance I'll be stoned/burnt/beheaded/censored. Wish me luck.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Or I could know that the vast majority of my students who don't believe in evolution believe in creation by the Jewish God (Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc.). It's as simple as teaching to the demographic and knowing that alchemy is not a hottly debated topic in any circles.

Also explaining to someone why they're wrong is often more effective than simply telling them what is right.
Cinna
Cinna
753 posts
Nomad

Don't teach it, inform about it and let the students debate it

I'm just gonna say in my Catholic High School we are pretty open to all sorts of different ideas but when any sort of dispute comes up (especially in theology class) it gets crushed.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Or I could know that the vast majority of my students who don't believe in evolution believe in creation by the Jewish God (Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc.). It's as simple as teaching to the demographic and knowing that alchemy is not a hottly debated topic in any circles.

Also explaining to someone why they're wrong is often more effective than simply telling them what is right.

Why not just explain why your wright? It is much simpler, and less likely to face strong opposition than telling them specifically that that theory is wrong.

I'm just gonna say in my Catholic High School we are pretty open to all sorts of different ideas but when any sort of dispute comes up (especially in theology class) it gets crushed.

So your open...Except when you disagree? Don't they counter each other?
Cinna
Cinna
753 posts
Nomad

So your open...Except when you disagree? Don't they counter each other?

I'm open (I like to think) but my school and classmates aren't. We're like 45% Maronite and they're crazy.
Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

Maronite?

it gets crushed.

What do they say or do when it comes up exactly?
Cinna
Cinna
753 posts
Nomad

What do they say or do when it comes up exactly?

Actual event

"Now, without evil, there would be no good. That's why evil must exist."

"But isn't God all powerful? Couldn't he make good WITHOUT evil?"

"MOVING ON"
Maronite?

Yeah, like all the middle-eastern Catholics. That's a little general but oh well.
Showing 496-510 of 697