ForumsWEPREvolution, creationism and the school cirriculum

697 104853
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Well to start out i dont beleive in evoltuion so the fact that other things cant be taught really ticks me off but i just want to see what people think and why.

• 697 Replies
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Not really, we have enough proof (Fossil records, common descent, etc), to at least prove that there is some form of change/adaptation going on - we teach the facts we know and make clear that the parts we aren't sure of are based in theory. However, creationism is based almost purely on outdated research, stuff from holy books that are thousands of years old and highly-biased 'scientific' studies.

cddm95ace
cddm95ace
165 posts
Nomad

I may admit that some form of evolution is happening, but what about the Big Bang theory? That is really what parallels creationism.

Cinna
Cinna
753 posts
Nomad

because we have seen it from space and know that it is round.

No cddm! Don't let the government get you! The world is nonagonigal!
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

For instance, no one can argue against the fact that the Earth is round, because we have seen it from space and know that it is round

Actually last I checked that was just a theory.

A theory, by definition, is a way of thinking that has not been proven 100%

Great. Now go prove at least 1% of your "theory" then we will talk.

But creationism and evolution are theories, because no one was actually there to see it, and scientific evidence can be misinterpreted

Creationism isn't a theory, it is still just wishful thinking. Evolution is, however, a theory supported by evidence which makes it a theory. Now what evidence do you have?

Honestly teaching creationism is similar to teaching alchemy in schools. Both alchemy and creationism have been disprove time and time again. Chemistry and evolution have both been proven time and time again. It is really no contest.
cddm95ace
cddm95ace
165 posts
Nomad

Cinna- that made me laugh. However, there are really people who believe that. Look at Flat Earthers on TalkOrigins.com. Its quite funny.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

I may admit that some form of evolution is happening, but what about the Big Bang theory? That is really what parallels creationism.

It could be considered, as well as abiogenesis. But once again, it doesn't matter. You don't have any proof then you stay out of the secular schools.
Cinna
Cinna
753 posts
Nomad

You don't have any proof then you stay out of the secular schools.

So let me ask you; forget private schools, forget faith as a whole; do you have a problem with creationism being taught at private schools?
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

Well to start out i dont beleive in evoltuion so the fact that other things cant be taught really ticks me off

buhahhaha

thank you i mean im a creationist but i have no problem with evolution being taught TOO just its rediculous

BUAHAHAHHA! Please, and how does creationism make any sense?

Religion class for us is optional and is in a neutral stand. All science related stuff stay in science. We learn about dinosaurs, evolution and different aspects of the Universe. No duh, we are in Canada not the US
Cinna
Cinna
753 posts
Nomad

we are in Canada not the US

buhaha.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

So let me ask you; forget private schools, forget faith as a whole; do you have a problem with creationism being taught at private schools?

Secular private schools, of course. Faith based private schools (Which there are a ton of) I dream of essentially eradicating, but it would be impractical to assume that they would ever not teach there religion. But faith schools are another topic all together.
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Man, it's funny seeing the evolution of Samy - looking at the first post in this thread I actually LOL'd. Anyway, if ya wanna learn 'bout creationism then do it in your own time. Keep your religious stuff in your religious institutions and let the scientific facts do the talking in schools and other places of education.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

A theory, by definition, is a way of thinking that has not been proven 100%.

I hope you science teacher gets fired.

That is a laymen definition. A scientific theory is an explanation of the fats.

http://wilstar.com/theories.htm
"Theory: A theory is more like a scientific law than a hypothesis. A theory is an explanation of a set of related observations or events based upon proven hypotheses and verified multiple times by detached groups of researchers. One scientist cannot create a theory; he can only create a hypothesis."

For instance, no one can argue against the fact that the Earth is round, because we have seen it from space and know that it is round.

Actually it's an oblong spheroid.

But creationism and evolution are theories, because no one was actually there to see it, and scientific evidence can be misinterpreted.

We have observed instances of evolution. (Please look at page 54 so you at least know what evolution is.)

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html

Nope The Big Bang theory is based on observed events and proven hypothesis that have been objectively verified. Creation has non of these things, as you have to start with an unverified claim.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

If it's being taught as something it's not then yes. These kids in private schools aren't going to be in school forever, and will leave being completely misinformed.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

do you have a problem with creationism being taught at private schools?

Absolutely. Personally I think that primary schools should refrain from introducing such topics and stick to facts. Philosophical, theological, and abstract ideas should be the realm of secondary education, after the students have been presented with a strong knowledge base from which to weigh unproven ideas accurately.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Erm...Secondary education is grades 6-12; I much prefer it be stripped entirely, but if it must, then teach it as electives only in secondary school and college education. This is the area in which children develop intellectually, as they start to think hypothetically, and I feel that schools should embrace and encourage hypothetical, aka experimental and theoretical thinking. It improves their minds--it's good brain food *munch munch*

Showing 541-555 of 697