The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernEverybody's talking 'bout spaming and spammers, locking and mocking, modding and modeling...

72 9069
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

So everybody here on ArmorGames seems to do their best on here to have their fun. I have noticed this before but now is the time to say somethig. Everyone needs to worry a little less about spammers and spam, moderators doing their jobs, and molding everyone into an idea member.

When you see someone posting off topic don't say "Hey, don't spam," say "Hey, post on topic." When you see someone posting all over the place tell them to focus on posting only a few good comments and not a lot of crappy ones. Don't even mention the word spam. Just let them know it is annoying.

Now sometimes we must use the word spam and sometimes we need to address something is spam, but for almost every 2 spam comments theres another one telling them not to spam and sadly a lot of people don't get the message if they are told they are spamming. They need the problem spoon fed to them, thats what we need to do. Tell them what they are doing directly.

Lets not lie, everybody wants to become a moderator, set an example, do something good, cure the problem of spam. All of which I just mentioned is great but when you focus on all that, then how do you plan on posting for fun? How do you plan on making yourself an example and post inturesting posts and keep every thread a delight to post in? You can't get there by worrying about that and a bunch of other stuff. Everybody is trying to do good but not trying to have fun and we don't care if people do good but we want people to have fun just as long as they aren't doing anything bad.

See some dumb posts in a thread? Leave a comment on the person's profile if you think they should pute more effort into their posts, don't post about their post in the same thread. It drags everything off topic and we really do need to learn to stay on topic enough so that its fun, but get off topic in a way where it is still fun and easy to get back on topic. When people stumble off topic saying "that is spam" then we see about 6 other people follow saying random things or replying to people a page or two before. That is never fun.

My message for everyone is to simply have fun. You can be a good member but everyone is stressing about spam and trying to protect AG from spam. It is no fun worrying about spam let me tell you but it's my job. I said this before, but there are benefits to being regular members over being mods.

So if you want to change AG, forget everything you think you know about being a member and start all over. When you first joined the community you thought you would be going topic to topic reading a bunch of funny comments and inturesting stories. Now everyone posts short boring answers and try to find new ways to have fun forgeting that we have a forum that should be plenty for us!

• 72 Replies
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Lige, lige, lige, sto-
Oh wait a second.

*tapes mouth shut*

Fritz_Rublehem
Fritz_Rublehem
1,076 posts
Nomad

Alright, can do mate

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,269 posts
Jester

Lets not lie, everybody wants to become a moderator, set an example, do something good, cure the problem of spam.

Not really, I have never wanted to be a MOD....I mean I don't think it would fit my schedual.

Anyway I agree with you!
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

I agree.

seriously man, repeating the same word isn't a good thing to do, let alone one about spam. 2 word comments are not accepted upon the forums and all we ask is for you to stop.
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Leave a comment on the person's profile if you think they should pute more effort into their posts, don't post about their post in the same thread.

Well, sometimes this ends up fail. Because the user will ignore it, and delete the message, and then continue to be off topic, arguing with other users whether it is spam or not, and so forth.

But yes, it is rather annoying to find "this is spam"-comments. I think, all threads 3 pages back are considered dead, right? I think the rule should be modified for the suggestion section and the newcomer's forum, since a thread often dies halfway down the page there, and it often are newbies who post the duplicates there, because they is not really acustommed to the forum life.
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

I think, all threads 3 pages back are considered dead, right?
Depends on how old the most recent post in them are.
A week actually isn't even enough to declare it dead, imo. Two, then it's necroing.
But I have fetched a thread waaaaaaaaay back - I was on topic and saying something relevant to the thread, and when you do that and the point of the thread had not been resolved, it is perfectly okay to do.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Here is a perfect example of what I am talking about. Lige and some other members on here have demonstrated one of the things "not to do" in forums. Lige was being sarcastic and was breaking a minor rule as a silly joke and some people responded to him within this post. This kept Lige going.

Perfect example of why you do not tell members to stop within the thread. If they are accidently breaking the rules, then saying something in the thread isn't so bad.

Well, sometimes this ends up fail. Because the user will ignore it, and delete the message, and then continue to be off topic, arguing with other users whether it is spam or not, and so forth.

If they ignore the message and stop spamming, no harm done. If they continue to spam, report them to a mod.
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Well, most spammers just want to get noticed in my opinion. NoName is completely right. If we just ignore them and don't do anything, and if it gets even worse report them, then they might actually get bored and stop doing it.

P.S. Don't you wish we could do mass PMs? Then everyone could receive this message.

Fritz_Rublehem
Fritz_Rublehem
1,076 posts
Nomad

Yeah, I've run into spammers, and people kept telling that certain individual to stop and all, but the individual grew off of it. It turns out later that he only did it to get kicked off, which was quite unusual to me.

Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

Yay. I'm a good bad example.

plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

Kinda of hard telling someone to shut up.

See some dumb posts in a thread? Leave a comment on the person's profile if you think they should pute more effort into their posts, don't post about their post in the same thread. It drags everything off topic and we really do need to learn to stay on topic enough so that its fun, but get off topic in a way where it is still fun and easy to get back on topic. When people stumble off topic saying "that is spam" then we see about 6 other people follow saying random things or replying to people a page or two before. That is never fun.

I agree but comments closed=no go.
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Well, it's not like that never happened to you..
And it's not exactly his fault...

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Yay. I'm a good bad example.
I kind of lol'd at that. XD

I agree but comments closed=no go.
Closed comments... Someone creates a bad thread knowing it's bad and lock their comments as they do so... Hate when that happens, but eh.
CerealkillerX
CerealkillerX
237 posts
Nomad

meh... let the spammers spam and get on...

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

But it's the most ironic thing to do... in the thread about this same stuff he is doing it O.o

Well, sometimes you just can't resist it.
But you just pointed our that he was spamming by telling someone else they spammed, so the you are spamming.
But since I just told you you are spamming, doesn't that mean I'm also doing what I'm not supposed to be doing?
Oh sh--

meh... let the spammers spam and get on...

Unless it gets too bad.
Showing 16-30 of 72