The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernEverybody's talking 'bout spaming and spammers, locking and mocking, modding and modeling...

72 9067
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

So everybody here on ArmorGames seems to do their best on here to have their fun. I have noticed this before but now is the time to say somethig. Everyone needs to worry a little less about spammers and spam, moderators doing their jobs, and molding everyone into an idea member.

When you see someone posting off topic don't say "Hey, don't spam," say "Hey, post on topic." When you see someone posting all over the place tell them to focus on posting only a few good comments and not a lot of crappy ones. Don't even mention the word spam. Just let them know it is annoying.

Now sometimes we must use the word spam and sometimes we need to address something is spam, but for almost every 2 spam comments theres another one telling them not to spam and sadly a lot of people don't get the message if they are told they are spamming. They need the problem spoon fed to them, thats what we need to do. Tell them what they are doing directly.

Lets not lie, everybody wants to become a moderator, set an example, do something good, cure the problem of spam. All of which I just mentioned is great but when you focus on all that, then how do you plan on posting for fun? How do you plan on making yourself an example and post inturesting posts and keep every thread a delight to post in? You can't get there by worrying about that and a bunch of other stuff. Everybody is trying to do good but not trying to have fun and we don't care if people do good but we want people to have fun just as long as they aren't doing anything bad.

See some dumb posts in a thread? Leave a comment on the person's profile if you think they should pute more effort into their posts, don't post about their post in the same thread. It drags everything off topic and we really do need to learn to stay on topic enough so that its fun, but get off topic in a way where it is still fun and easy to get back on topic. When people stumble off topic saying "that is spam" then we see about 6 other people follow saying random things or replying to people a page or two before. That is never fun.

My message for everyone is to simply have fun. You can be a good member but everyone is stressing about spam and trying to protect AG from spam. It is no fun worrying about spam let me tell you but it's my job. I said this before, but there are benefits to being regular members over being mods.

So if you want to change AG, forget everything you think you know about being a member and start all over. When you first joined the community you thought you would be going topic to topic reading a bunch of funny comments and inturesting stories. Now everyone posts short boring answers and try to find new ways to have fun forgeting that we have a forum that should be plenty for us!

• 72 Replies
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Well, sometimes you just can't resist it.
But you just pointed our that he was spamming by telling someone else they spammed, so the you are spamming.
But since I just told you you are spamming, doesn't that mean I'm also doing what I'm not supposed to be doing?
Oh sh--
And here we have a perfectly good example of how spam accusations can make things go off topic.
Though that would be in topic in this particular thread...?

[sarcasm]
You are ALL spamming! D:<
[/sarcasm]
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Zophia, you just pointed out that we spammed.
But since I pointed out th-

Oh, never mind.

Septua
Septua
464 posts
Blacksmith

Well i think it was yesterday or the day before i saw 1 member talking in the comment box of BubbleTanks2 like it was a chatroom. So i went to his/her profile and gave him/her a heads-up that those comment boxes are to review a game and that the forums and profiles are here to hang out.

His reply: DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO.

At first i was pretty annoyed about the rudeness but now its
Pretty hilarious if you ask me.

This was an example if they just ignore you or even worse get mad on you, cause he continued chatting there.

Sep

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

I was more laughing at the irony then pointing out the spam though...

You don't understand the main point that I was saying, do you?
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

One question, everyone, does this include profile comments too?

Gold - King

Flag

I pointed out his spam,that's what your getting at right?

Kinda, but not really...
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Alright your all stuck in a loop. Please stray out of the circle. >.<

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Ok, so apparently no one really read my tl;dr post, because many people just repeated what I just said. That's another thing we shouldn't do here, that we left out: repeating what other people said and steal their thunder. It's been done with comments, reviews, everything. Here, lemme make my last post as simple as I can put it.

Follow this for more rules. Saying it was spam in thread is bad. Don't comment in about page. Person will flame you. Report instead. Do what link and Mod say, be role model. Make good posts, read before you reply.

The thread's going to be here for a while, so why not read every post and remember what other's have typed? Saying "I agree", and repeating comments aren't something you should do.

[off-topic]Am I just that boring or something?[/off-topic]

Lithika
Lithika
17 posts
Nomad

Frankly, if you post after someone saying they spammed.. you spammed yourself.

Gametesta
Gametesta
1,707 posts
Nomad

This is all very accurate but the one thing a spammer it hates is spam itself. They hate the of some person telling them they are spamming which results in in more spam. So if we just ignore spammers and they eventually get bored of getting no reaction out spamming. spamming is basically a way of getting attention.

Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

I believe that has actually been covered a few times, gametsta.

RugganBor
RugganBor
563 posts
Nomad

So, what happens if you fight fire with fire, or spam with spam as the case may be. Wouldent that make it worse? Because at that point, you are encouraging them to spam back at you.

Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

So, what happens if you fight fire with fire, or spam with spam as the case may be. Wouldent that make it worse? Because at that point, you are encouraging them to spam back at you.

who said that you should do that? the whole point of this tread is to tell people not to do that.
RugganBor
RugganBor
563 posts
Nomad

Right. Ok, now i got it.

RugganBor
RugganBor
563 posts
Nomad

Yes. Lol.

RugganBor
RugganBor
563 posts
Nomad

Augh, i just spammed. wait, i wont say that.
Ruggan, Please try not to use "such short and off topic comments." Thank you.

Showing 31-45 of 72