The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernEverybody's talking 'bout spaming and spammers, locking and mocking, modding and modeling...

72 9068
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

So everybody here on ArmorGames seems to do their best on here to have their fun. I have noticed this before but now is the time to say somethig. Everyone needs to worry a little less about spammers and spam, moderators doing their jobs, and molding everyone into an idea member.

When you see someone posting off topic don't say "Hey, don't spam," say "Hey, post on topic." When you see someone posting all over the place tell them to focus on posting only a few good comments and not a lot of crappy ones. Don't even mention the word spam. Just let them know it is annoying.

Now sometimes we must use the word spam and sometimes we need to address something is spam, but for almost every 2 spam comments theres another one telling them not to spam and sadly a lot of people don't get the message if they are told they are spamming. They need the problem spoon fed to them, thats what we need to do. Tell them what they are doing directly.

Lets not lie, everybody wants to become a moderator, set an example, do something good, cure the problem of spam. All of which I just mentioned is great but when you focus on all that, then how do you plan on posting for fun? How do you plan on making yourself an example and post inturesting posts and keep every thread a delight to post in? You can't get there by worrying about that and a bunch of other stuff. Everybody is trying to do good but not trying to have fun and we don't care if people do good but we want people to have fun just as long as they aren't doing anything bad.

See some dumb posts in a thread? Leave a comment on the person's profile if you think they should pute more effort into their posts, don't post about their post in the same thread. It drags everything off topic and we really do need to learn to stay on topic enough so that its fun, but get off topic in a way where it is still fun and easy to get back on topic. When people stumble off topic saying "that is spam" then we see about 6 other people follow saying random things or replying to people a page or two before. That is never fun.

My message for everyone is to simply have fun. You can be a good member but everyone is stressing about spam and trying to protect AG from spam. It is no fun worrying about spam let me tell you but it's my job. I said this before, but there are benefits to being regular members over being mods.

So if you want to change AG, forget everything you think you know about being a member and start all over. When you first joined the community you thought you would be going topic to topic reading a bunch of funny comments and inturesting stories. Now everyone posts short boring answers and try to find new ways to have fun forgeting that we have a forum that should be plenty for us!

• 72 Replies
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

I get that, But, the thing is, I have seen comments that say yes by regular members that get the point across be deleted by mods, So, If Mods were not like that, Then I could care less! I have left 2 word comments that had been deleted even though the point was across.

Must you really complain about that?
Maybe a mod just didn't see it as fit.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

"Ha! I lolled at that!" then go ahead and say it. Who cares if it is only 5 words? If you were to say "funny" or "Thats funny" then it looks like you are being lazy and that there is spam.

You won't always be able to get away with short comments.
You won't always be able to warn someone on their profile.
You won't always be able to get your point accross.
You will find that a lot of times, you will have to break from the norm. Everybody acts like there is a book of formulas that can help you determine if something is appropriate or not or if its spam or if its on topic enough or if its long enough. What does everyone want? This?

*You MUST post more than 7 words. You must also have at least 5 sentences for your head post if you create a thread and 2 if you are replying.

*You MUST remain on topic. For every off topic sentence you have you should have 2 sentences that are on topic.

*You can not post in 5 different threads within 5 minutes.

and so on and so on.

Is that what everyone wants? A list? The above are nice strategies to posting better and I highly recomend people start posting more like that, but if those were actual rules, then there would be no room to break from the norm. They would force a person to be more proper than what they may want to be for a certain occasion.

Of course, it is nice to be proper but heck, I will say this now, Lige can be annoying and I want to strangle him sometimes but he breaks from the norm and he keeps the forum alive and, hell, he can be quite funny sometimes. Now he can go a bit far sometimes but he really isn't a bad member (most of the time XD).

Did he spam this thread? I guess you could say so. Will he get in trouble if he keeps doing the short "I agree" comments, very likely. But he riled people up in this thread without offending anybody and without really turning anybody against each other. Tell me you didn't laugh when you saw people reacting to him in the way I said not to... especailly after they said that what I said was true. You must have laughed. I know I did.

I had fun reading through that stuff and I am not saying it is ok to break the rules and most of the time it is wrong. But if you take them too seriously, you make the rules misserable to live by. This is why so many kids hate their schools, because they don't mind the rules... they just hate having the rules shoved in their face.

I know I seem to be contradicting myself and it is hard to understand what I am trying to say. The easiest way to understand what I am saying is to disregard it, and disregard what you know, and just be yourself on here. Be good, don't upset anybody, don't flame anybody, and remain open minded. Just don't ruin the fun for everyone else.
Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

I agree.

Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

sorry guys that was the last time, but it was just so perfect.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

I think I get NoName's point...
not everything can be perfect...
and not every short comment is spam..
and never EVER tell someone they are spamming, it usually infuses their anger.

There are many other things too...
Some I don't understand however...
Or is just confused by...

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

*You can not post in 5 different threads within 5 minutes

Heyyyy i've done that.... my thought process is quick on certain days
Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

I thought the point is that I am awesome, and everyone should be more like me.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

@Lige
You go make a thread about that. If this thread was dedicated to that, you would've been the lead poster. Taddle-hoo!

@Graham
Really?
I can't find that many threads where I can post something useful.

Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

You go make a thread about that. If this thread was dedicated to that, you would've been the lead poster. Taddle-hoo

If I did that, everyone would think I'm a narcissist.
jond
jond
267 posts
Nomad

I think you got to look into the comment.

Check if the person is a new member and just say "Hey, in Armor Games make a more on topic comment next time, OK?"

Something along those lines.

But, Don't start flaming him.

What I am trying to say is look DEEP into the comment, that is all.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

If I did that, everyone would think I'm a narcissist.

Hrm....lige I must addmit I do allready think that. But I must addmit, i find it funny as hell.

And i actually looked for a "lige is god" thread, but iwas rather sad weh n ididnt find one.
IceDrakeknight
IceDrakeknight
348 posts
Farmer

Spamming could make my life in jeopardy

Showing 61-72 of 72