The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernEverybody's talking 'bout spaming and spammers, locking and mocking, modding and modeling...

72 9066
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

So everybody here on ArmorGames seems to do their best on here to have their fun. I have noticed this before but now is the time to say somethig. Everyone needs to worry a little less about spammers and spam, moderators doing their jobs, and molding everyone into an idea member.

When you see someone posting off topic don't say "Hey, don't spam," say "Hey, post on topic." When you see someone posting all over the place tell them to focus on posting only a few good comments and not a lot of crappy ones. Don't even mention the word spam. Just let them know it is annoying.

Now sometimes we must use the word spam and sometimes we need to address something is spam, but for almost every 2 spam comments theres another one telling them not to spam and sadly a lot of people don't get the message if they are told they are spamming. They need the problem spoon fed to them, thats what we need to do. Tell them what they are doing directly.

Lets not lie, everybody wants to become a moderator, set an example, do something good, cure the problem of spam. All of which I just mentioned is great but when you focus on all that, then how do you plan on posting for fun? How do you plan on making yourself an example and post inturesting posts and keep every thread a delight to post in? You can't get there by worrying about that and a bunch of other stuff. Everybody is trying to do good but not trying to have fun and we don't care if people do good but we want people to have fun just as long as they aren't doing anything bad.

See some dumb posts in a thread? Leave a comment on the person's profile if you think they should pute more effort into their posts, don't post about their post in the same thread. It drags everything off topic and we really do need to learn to stay on topic enough so that its fun, but get off topic in a way where it is still fun and easy to get back on topic. When people stumble off topic saying "that is spam" then we see about 6 other people follow saying random things or replying to people a page or two before. That is never fun.

My message for everyone is to simply have fun. You can be a good member but everyone is stressing about spam and trying to protect AG from spam. It is no fun worrying about spam let me tell you but it's my job. I said this before, but there are benefits to being regular members over being mods.

So if you want to change AG, forget everything you think you know about being a member and start all over. When you first joined the community you thought you would be going topic to topic reading a bunch of funny comments and inturesting stories. Now everyone posts short boring answers and try to find new ways to have fun forgeting that we have a forum that should be plenty for us!

• 72 Replies
Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

i don't think people are getting it.

RubberyChicken
RubberyChicken
956 posts
Nomad

At least it has a higher chance of being read as it actually in English rather than internet-butchered-English-resembling-slangese (I made that part up...)

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

This place is NOT for a discussion about spamming.
It is solely for having people read his first post.

NoName, you should just lock this for reading purposes only.

Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

i dont thik people are gonna sit own and read what u just said

I'll sit down on your face and read it... and then fart.
supersmiley
supersmiley
842 posts
Nomad

to true couldnt agree with you more

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

I'll sit down on your face and read it... and then fart.

dude, your getting more vulgar and uncalled for than usual, what's up with that?
Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

dude, your getting more awesome and totally called for than usual, what's up with that?

fix'd.

and to answer your question, I was always awesome, and totally called for, but you're just now noticing the sheer calledforness of my awesomeness.
globdog76
globdog76
589 posts
Nomad

IMPORTANT NOTICE

some mods are spamming on topics like

Person 1: I dont get why this is important
but so i wont spam i like chetos to

Mod:lock

Thats short enough to be spam and is off topic

and they do this

mod topic: im a ninja

and no offence but if it was made by a perosn it would be locked

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Well, sometimes it doesn't take a lot of words to get a point straight through. Mods are human, human make mistakes.

I don't understand why a mod making a mistake should annoy you. Do you worry that they get extra AP?

I've seen a mod say "No" and that gets their point straight through. They no need say any more.

RubberyChicken
RubberyChicken
956 posts
Nomad

Even if no gets the point across, mods are supposed to be role models for the rest of the community. One word answers isn't a good model for the newer users copy.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

IMPORTANT NOTICE
some mods are spamming on topics like
Person 1: I dont get why this is important
but so i wont spam i like chetos to
Mod:lock
Thats short enough to be spam and is off topic
and they do this
mod topic: im a ninja
and no offence but if it was made by a perosn it would be locked

Christ, the whole spam thing isn't too clear is it? Alright can someone explain to me what spam is, and why we do not want it?
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Bah, Pharisees, all!

...I'm not sure anybody gets that reference, but yeah.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Even if no gets the point across, mods are supposed to be role models for the rest of the community. One word answers isn't a good model for the newer users copy.
When a no is a no for what SHOULD be obvious reasons, there is no reason to post anything further. Not for mods, not for newbs. However, there's never a reason to repeat such a no...

If you see a mod "spamming", try thinking about it again. It's not always spam. Sometimes it is, but on those occasions it's usually just to be humorous, and if you're gonna complain about mods being allowed to do so when regular users aren't, well think about this... The mods are the users that have been considered responsible enough to handle the tools, and only make such jokes where they fit.

Are you really gonna complain about humorous lock posts and similar things?
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

I have a simple solution for all the members. Don't think in terms of "spam" but instead seperate what is annoying and what isn't.

Not all posts that are 4 words or less are spam. If you manage to say something short that is humorous or brings the point across the turf, then it is not spam. If someone says something that is less than 4 words and there is no point to it or you can tell they are just being lazy. Then it is annoying and therefor spam.

Stop thinking in terms of spam

Spam is anything unwanted. I was hoping a member would answer my question but they didn't. Anyway this is the answer.

Spam, on ArmorGames and most other website forums, is anything unwanted that floods the forum and disrupts or derails a conversation entirely. If we were to delete every spec of spam as known to many members, this website would be boring. If you want to say. "Ha! I lolled at that!" then go ahead and say it. Who cares if it is only 5 words? If you were to say "funny" or "Thats funny" then it looks like you are being lazy and that there is spam.

It is hard to stress that you can't always determine what spam is just by simple rules such as "is it on topic" or "is it more than 5 words?" Sometimes you need to simply ask yourself "is this post annoying and pointless?" and that works just as well as anything.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

Shesh, people are getting rather mad at this topic.

uys, as noname as pointed out numerous times, spam is anything unneeded, or unwanted. Just think as i do. If it is pointless, for say someone going, "dhvfuhsdjkah" Then yes, thats spam, but someone saying, "Wow, never would have seen something that odd happening." is not spam. Just becuse ti is short, it gets the point across the same.

And as for ubertuna's ninja topic, I found it quite funny. He wanted to share a sword he bought from the internet, and that is in no way spam.

Just becuse a mod corrects you once i na while is no excuse to be all, "ARAHARAHRAHRHARH! Mods are mean, I hate you all, you spam and are stupid, I can do what ever I want!" Yeah, thats not gonna help you, and a post like that is spam, as it is unneeded and unwanted.

Overall, I think there are better ways to say spam. But as it is no one will stop using it, so iwill keep quite.

Showing 46-60 of 72