ForumsWEPR[necro] Legalization of Marijuana

794 157469
ligaboy
ligaboy
1,051 posts
Peasant

I know that there is a topic about legalizing drugs, but I wanted to talk about Marijuana specifically.

Marijuana was banned in 1937 in the US and is now said to be a gate-way to more dangerous illegal drugs. However in this current state of economy I think we'd be better off with the legalization of marijuana. First, it would provide jobs for people. Second, more tax money to the government. Third, it would decrease sale to minors.

• 794 Replies
German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

weed is in no way, shape, or form, a bad thing to use if you are mentally stable and have some sort of pain that you need fixed.

you act like Marijuana is an enemy, there are TONS AND TONS of scientific experiments that have praised Marijuana as a drug that can successfully help people past their problems, be it depression, being anorexic, arthritis, etc.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

drive-reduction theory

homeostasis

mental impairment

period

German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

any downsides of marijuana are far too small to overshadow its' upsides.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

any downsides of marijuana are far too small to overshadow its' upsides.

i don't think you understand,

drive-reduction theory
where you are in need of something (drive) and you get something to reduce it. then drive comes again. EX. Hunger

homeostasis
your body's attempt at a norm. if you use so many endorphines then it will need to balance out by afterwords leaving you in a small depression.

mental impairment
studies show marijuana has a chance of causing schizophrenia and learning disabilities

Period

also there's adaptation to the point where your body is regulated to being familiar with a substance, it will kick back if the stimulus isn't met.

sensory adaptation is where you're so regular to the stimulus you barely even notice it anymore. an example of bad case: Pain
German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

i don't get munchies anymore, you dont get it at the beginning, get it as you progress, and then dont get it. like red eyes.

homeostasis: i meant long term downsides, whoops! that kind of fucks this up.

mental impairment: not when used in controlled doses, or not when "abused"

adaption to familiarity: only when you smoke 3+ times a day, or use it to sleep. after a week of being off weed, it all goes away. sure, i'm naturally more stressed when i'm not getting high 2+ times a week, but thats just me.

there are no notable long term downsides unless you're smokin it 3+ times a day

compaq7550
compaq7550
164 posts
Nomad

Anything that requires you to take smoke into your lungs is bad. Marijuana is less dangerous than Cigarettes but that doesn't mean it isn't dangerous. And no, there have been no cases of someone dieing due to marijuana use, though the effects it has on you can cause you to do some rather unintelligent things which can lead to death. Personally, I think the legalization of marijuana is not a good idea, though I won't say it's a bad idea either.

German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

i dont do stupid things when im high, i control the buzz.

however i've fought with people with old, splintery wooden sticks before. but that was just fucking fun. i probably would have done that otherwise.

plus weed is hella good when you get into fights.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

because it's an anaesthetic.

but thats just me.

naive

what is your definition of "abused"?
Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

but thats just me.

naive

German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

yeah exactly. is there a problem with it being an anesthetic and giving the user less fears?

using it 5 times a day without having a special occasion.

ie: if it's the Gathering of the Juggalos, yeah i'll smoke an two/three ounces in three 1/2 days, but not in normal life.
Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

is there a problem with it being an anesthetic and giving the user less fears?

is there a problem with not feeling pain and thinking unclearly?
AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,573 posts
Blacksmith

using it 5 times a day without having a special occasion.

Hold on... what about smoking tobbacco. Gambling, watching TV and playing games. going on socnet sites. Im sure we could list many more. There are socially acceptable abuses and smoking weed is very socially acceptable in alot of social circles.

Also we are talking about a plant and the only reason people debate reasons against so strongly is because their trusted governing body says its against the law.

There are many countries where ganja is legal, and they dont have drug problems any worse (or better) than the rest of the world.

Alchohol IS a damaging narcotic, and yet its legal over certain ages depending on location. Whats the deal with that. What serious argument can anyone give for alcohol being ok but weed not being ok. They have pros and cons right? doesnt mean weed should be illigal. I mean, for gawd sake, ppl ARE going to smoke the stuff, regardless of law or other social circles views on the matter.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis_by_country]
i know its wiki but lots of these counries do have very relaxed laws on cannabis. In different parts of UK many ppl dont care about smoking pot. You are unlikely to be in trouble in most of UK unless the police dont like you for one reson or another.

So ganja SHOULD be decrimminalized. How frikkin DARE anyone tell me I am wrong for smoking this substance, cos same ppl can turn round and say "here, drink this pisswater beer instead" thats not right is it.
Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

the legalization of alcohol does not justify pot.

outlawing of alcohol has been attempted. the problem was that too many people had become accustomed to alcohol before the amendment was in place.

AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,573 posts
Blacksmith

I didnt say it was justification.
You can have bad thing A but not bad thing B. Why. There is no real reason for this, or I should say no MORE reason for allowing bad thing A over bad thing B.

How about they feck off and let me judge for myself what I am right or wrong to put in my body. Maybe if they had pushed the amount of propoganda saying "cannabis makes you INSANE" about alchohol instead then they wouldnt have so much trouble making it illigal too.
Ppl have been VERY accustomed to pot for A LONG time, so why should this make a difference?

Decriminalize pot, its MY choice, and it DOESNT hurt anyone else, so it IS my choice. The law is WRONG.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,482 posts
Shepherd

1) Alcohol kills more
2) Alcohol is worse
3) If people were accustomed to killing, stealing, and raping would we be sitting around passing laws to allow such acts?
4) Pot isn't as bad
5) People die over Pot for no reason, we've got Mexican's reeling in drugs to the USA daily
6) Even though more people would die over Alcohol and there would be a crapload of problems -- The Legalization of Pot makes sense.
7) When portugal legalized pot, the ratings went down. Why get high when everyone can do it?
8) Once legalized, it can also be taught to and talked about in Public schools if required, as its a legal substance that we can talk over, instead of an illegal thing that we shouldn't know about.

I read something in a bathroom once... I think it said "Weed, Legalize don't Critisize". I thought it was retarded, because I for one am against drugs and alcoholic beverages -- They're just a pain in the *** in this world. But on the grand scheme of things, I don't understand people are being jailed for happy time + possible accident.

Showing 196-210 of 794