ForumsWEPRCalling All Christians

1333 187995
snazzy777
snazzy777
739 posts
Nomad

Since I have joined Armorgams . . .I see a lot of Atheists and their threads about why people believe in God etc . . . I wanted to start a thread about the bible and christianity.

The purpose of this thread is to debate a different book of the bible each week. We will discuss lessons, morals, and different stories.

We will have friendly debates. Please . . . if you are atheist or of other beliefs . . . you may discuss in this thread, just PLEASE no fighting, flaming, spamming, trolling . . . etc

This week we will begin from the beginning . . . .Genesis

• 1,333 Replies
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

(sigh) Your right. The biblical stories are metaphors to describe God correct? Then the message of this story is that God will give you a second chance cause he's nice?

Actually, I meant the comparison between God and the Ellimist.
So as a deity of unlimited power; a power that created the universe and life; God can not change/alter his own rules? Why put rules on yourself? What would happen if God broke these rules?

If there is no power higher than a human being, then we are the highest powers. Can we break our own physical limitations?
I could create an ant farm and take care of them, but that doesn't mean I can break my own limitations. I know it's hard to imagine moral limitations, but imagine that everything that we couldn't do was as easy as the stuff we are capable of thinking and believing. I think it is that way for God, so he can do anything physical.
Now, imagine that everything that we could change about our morals, like political standpoints, moral standpoints, etc. was as impossible to change as our own DNA? I think it is this way for God, so he follows a moral code.
So he's kind and compassionate, but wants us to do things for ourselves correct? But where's the reasoning for this when people declared war on each other in the name of God? Why would God want to use his people to hurt others?

Like with the morals, I think one of the morals God has is to want people to do good WITHOUT him revealing that he could throw us in Hell for refusing. In the beginning, when there was a need to appear to start the chain, I think it was okay then to appear to a few hundred people, but beyond that would be like manipulating the human condition. We wouldn't REALLY be good if we were looking after our own slavation.

Even Christians who BELIEVE God is in heaven have no proof, so they still fit in with everyone else's limitations. We believe in a reward for our good works, but as long as we don't have proof that there's a reward, it's not a selfish act.

I hope I explained that well. And just so you know, this is just what I've found from pondering my faith, and this doesn't necessarily represent every Christian's position.
deserteagle
deserteagle
1,633 posts
Nomad

Hye deserteagle God gave man something that he yearned for. Ever heard of freedom???

Last time I checked we got kicked out of Eden for doing our own thing.

God watches over us, he doesn't just go around doing whatever the **** he wants u prick

Calm down man. I'm sorry I'm such a prick for having a different opinion than you. I'm entitled to my opinion as much as you are entitled to yours.

God can do whatever he wants. He wants to call in the Messiah, no one can oppose that. He wants to call in the Apocalypse, he can. He wants to save Jonah, he goes ahead.
deserteagle
deserteagle
1,633 posts
Nomad

Big, you nijaed me.

Wow! Good retort. Let me think for a bit here..

deserteagle
deserteagle
1,633 posts
Nomad

Dam* it! I keep getting ninjaed here!

@ Kirby: If that were the case why do people do it then? Do hideous acts in the name of God. If they were Christians wouldn't they already know that?

@ Big: I never read those books sorry. I was more into Artemis Foul at the time. I don't get the connection.

deserteagle
deserteagle
1,633 posts
Nomad

Wait Big. I get it now so stop typing the wall of text.

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

@ Big: I never read those books sorry. I was more into Artemis Foul at the time. I don't get the connection.

Oh, no problem. Maybe I can explain it a little.

Animorphs were kids that were given the ability to turn into animals by a dying alien who told them that a parasitic alien was taking over people's minds on earth. So they had to use the ability to change shape to fight these aliens.

On one particularly unlucky fight when they were all about to die, time stopped, and a being called the Ellimist came and was like, "Wuz up? You're in a tough spot, and I can save you and your families from the Yeerks, but no one else, or I can put you back to where you were. Make a choice, guys!"
But while telling them this he revealed a way out of their mess; and they were like "Yay! He tricked us into victory!"
The Ellimist was meant to be more of a game player, trying to let the humans win but mostly playing a game, which was why I meant God and him aren't exactly the same. I just thought that since the Ellimist appeared all-powerful but couldn't violate a code, it made a decent comparison.

It's a good series, actually.
*SPOILER ALERT*
They win.
deserteagle
deserteagle
1,633 posts
Nomad

So they use the power of the church's/ the church's teachings to make political decisions?

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Too late, sorry.

deserteagle
deserteagle
1,633 posts
Nomad

Can I see the wall of text?

deserteagle
deserteagle
1,633 posts
Nomad

^ Wait!

What the hell was I thinking?!

Stop!!!

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

I'm not sure what you want me to do. :/

I already put a brief explanation of the connection on the last page. The Animorphs are like, "Whoa!" and the Yeerks are like, "Mind control and sluggish domination!" and the Ellimist is like, "Life's like a deck of cards; you never know what you're going to get dealt." and then Crayak (his enemy) is like, "Actually, you do know what you're going to get dealt. You know the fifty-two possible cards and all the numbers and suits, and you know you're going to get one of them, so in a way you do know what you're going to get dealt!" and then the Master Chief is like "There's a 50th Halo?! WTF?!!!"
/Rant.

deserteagle
deserteagle
1,633 posts
Nomad

and then the Master Chief is like "There's a 50th Halo?! WTF?!!!"
/Rant.

Lol!

Any way I think I see your point. We have an idea of what's going to happen but we never know exactly until we are dealt our hand.

question: where's notaco? Trolls can actual be pretty fun.
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Actually, that paragraph was mostly babble. I guess I lucked out and said something intelligent.

Answer: I'm not sure. I feel like a troll for posting that babble paragraph, though.

deserteagle
deserteagle
1,633 posts
Nomad

The difference between a fun comical off topic rant and a troll post is this:Troll post induce faceplams while yours induced lols (in the good way of coarse)

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Thanks for reassuring me.

Crap, it's like 2:00 AM here! Oh well; see you tomorrow.

Showing 556-570 of 1333