ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3072274
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

And why, for all that is poetic, do you guys have to bump the contest?

Because we can? (This is where I would've inserted a really evil laughter, but I'm not very good at those, and if I did, the post would only be four words long, so instead I make an evil looking smiley, here it is: >:| Hope you get the point.)

PS, the evil smiley is NOT a mutated four-eyed duck, and anyone who says otherwise is lying.
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

From my understanding, as long as an entry is submitted before the judging, that entry is considered valid.

I could be considered responsible for that; being perhaps the most lame judge - in terms of time, hrmm, hrmm - I had this habit of judging every last entry posted until my judging was up. Sorry if I forged some bad habits...

HOWEVER! If Freak has pronounced himself on the matter, no mere mortal shall question his authority; of that I'm certain and even more.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

And with that, I have the results!

Wood Award -- DemonicEyed:

Heartbeat pulsating,
Pressure that is so immense,
Heart stops--heart attack.

Oh heavens, a heart attack! Not pleasant at all. This haiku presents a more climactic edge, then immediately hits the wall with the result being a defeated heart. It's this sudden rush of pain, building up a heavier pulse with a rising tempo, but then "freezes" to a sudden stillness. It's a strong, heart-related piece that, coupled with great stops, creates fast-paced action. It's very sudden, yet presents itself very nicely!

Iron Award -- HahiHa:

Hearts I've been offered
Hearts I wounded with disdain
Can't match my chest's hole

The old saying goes that there are many fish in the ocean to catch, but of course, only a select few can meet your palette, ehehe...The narrator has been searching and searching for that very special someone, but alas, rejects them for being unworthy or breaks up with them for not upholding their relationship well. Puzzle pieces cannot fit anywhere and only the right matches can fit together. Sounds like the narrator's expectations are too high! Your haiku provided a great metaphor for the void in the person's life--the heart, being so empty, so hungry, longing, for that long-lasting love that it has been waiting for so long. Almost tear-jerking, if you contemplate it long enough!

Gold Award -- iMogwai:

Need another heart.
One more to complete the set.
The river's here. Flush.

Nice use of endings! The haiku has the same feelings of Poker, a card game. It is suspense that fills the air, only to be abruptly stopped when a sudden move is declared. "Needing another heart" sounded clever to me, as the biggest chunk of the entries here are about the love side of hearts, and needing another heart was used differently. It was a very unique way to present a hearts-related entry!

There you have it! Congratulations iMogwai, go locate a mod (not Cenere!) and contact him/her for your winning!

Now, for the rest of you guys, you might be wondering what will happen now? Well, sad to say, but the work is piling up in my university, and I just can't have extra projects to work on to compliment my already-high list of things to do.

So, with that, I'm going to appoint someone else to take the reins. He has already proven himself as being judge-worthy, as he has already been a judge, for quite a long time I may add! There have been two people that have wanted to get back in, and he asked firstly, so with that:

EnterOrion! You're Santa Claus now--go take the reins and continue this contest! Make sure you judge well and judge coolly! I shall now give my last settings before I go; these are the settings that Oreo himself wishes to have.

Theme: Derailment
Judge: EnterOrion
Deadline: 2/27/11

And with that, happy haikuing! I shall be waiting from the sidelines and maybe participate once in a while. =)

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

Didn't even rank!?

Well...Umm...Strange...I seriously think I had one of the richest poems out there...

Oh well...I'll swallow my pride with an aspirine ( where have I heard that before!? ) and go to bed.

But quite frankly, I'm pretty saddened by this round's results. Anyhow, good work to iMogwai and the others, and I guess I'm not to be the judge this time around hmm? I'll wait, I'll wait.

Endscape
Endscape
1,182 posts
Nomad

ooooooooooo such a wait only for dissapointment XD
thusk the meaning of life

DESTINED FOR GREATNESS
ranked sixth of ALL the freshmen
too lazy.... now fifty

ahahahahah story of Endscape's life, had a 90gpa buttttt really dont care now XD

Endscape
Endscape
1,182 posts
Nomad

Well...Umm...Strange...I seriously think I had one of the richest poems out there...

hahaha Endscape can relate XD, excuse my double post.
Endscape
Endscape
1,182 posts
Nomad

DESTINED FOR GREATNESS
ranked sixth of ALL the freshmen
too lazy.. i quit...

had too many syllables, again i apologize for filling so much space.

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

I'll wait, I'll wait.

You'll be waiting a looong time. *looks evil*

:3
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

You'll be waiting a looong time. *looks evil*

I thought YOU, MISTER, were RETIRED!

Me? My Pc broke down so here I am waiting for my post to be restituted.
*Judge for the Haiku contest* Swish, tchk-tchk *Take a ticket please*

More seriously now, I'm glad to you back Entre, it's been a while, and I'm still the only one to call you Enter. *looks evil*

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

I thought YOU, MISTER, were RETIRED!

Welllll . . . you see, I've been meaning to come out for about three months. Hostile takeovers aren't much my thing . . . .

Entre

This is England?

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

This is England?

Tihs is me tipnyg in teh drak...

Endscape
Endscape
1,182 posts
Nomad

1 min... i take 30 secs at most lol, except.... this time.
honestly Endscape must admit THIS one, was a challenge(3mins) so Endscape did wat he always does,
talk about himself.

pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

The theme reminds me of my crashing train comment just yesterday, Onioreo. Of course, I can't write anything about that; I wouldn't think nihilism good for such a succinct form of poetry. Besides, suicidal remarks, even be they in jest, would I fear, be taken too seriously.

So... Here's a different kind of futility.

Dreams lead us astray,
The path forever unknown.
Guiding in the dark. . .

howlett
howlett
2,278 posts
Nomad

Congrats, iMogwai!

And, good luck with the judging this time round, Orion.

Train out of control,
Spinning wildly down the tracks,
Crashing into all.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Saddened by the result of the entries or the result of the judging, Fallen? Schoolwork and real life wasn't the only reason why I decided to slip away

Showing 2806-2820 of 5299