ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3072154
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,890 posts
Nomad

Train off the right course
The loud terrifying screams
The moaning pain. Death.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

Saddened by the result of the entries or the result of the judging, Fallen? Schoolwork and real life wasn't the only reason why I decided to slip away

The results of the judging of course; I can't believe you didn't consider my Haiku worth ranking at least. Then again, being a judge myself, I compose haikus given my perception of what is a good haiku so I guess I can't really be mad or blame anyone about that; such compressed poetic ideas, regulated by a set number of syllables that is the same for everyone, are most likely to become a subjective appreciation when judging. It's okay: it couldn't be otherwise anyway, but it can get a little flustering heh.

So why did you slip away; was the job too strenuous? I remember it as being quite harsh. :P

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
889 posts
Nomad

Train spinning wildly,
Peoples screams cut out quickly,
Death across their eyes.

I've never actually wrote a haiku before, but I thought that I should try, so there it is.

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

First one not involving a train!

Hit a roadblock, life
halts, becomes harder, complex
control slips away

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Annihilation,
Bended metal and terror,
Blood and smoke linger.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

So why did you slip away; was the job too strenuous? I remember it as being quite harsh. :P

It's half because of schoolwork and half because I don't think I've been judging as good as I can. I mean, I do try to search the entirety of the haiku to try and pick what I believed were the best, but aside from that, it's all opinion. Then again, some opinions have higher agreements than others....So yeah, I'm slipping away until I get more experienced with haikuing.
Endscape
Endscape
1,182 posts
Nomad

First one not involving a train!

iEndscape assumes u mean him righttt....im taking a different approach...
the derailment..of my life hmmm, how sad boo yoo Endscape ;(
normally i gradually get lazier every year but this year...
ive gone into a nose-dive hmmmm..
Endscape
Endscape
1,182 posts
Nomad

half because I don't think I've been judging as good as I can. I mean, I do try to search the entirety of the haiku to try and pick what I believed were the best, but aside from that, it's all opinion.

....maybe u should try and form a criteria to be used for further compeations... i.e. originality, flow, relevance, emotion etc etc..... hmmmmm, excuse my poor spelling.
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

originality, flow, relevance, emotion etc etc

As I tried to explain, these are mostly criterias based on the sunjectivity of the individual that is in charge of judging, thus, a judge could notice relevance to a theme whereas another couldn't. In formal poetry, universal criterias can be set more easily. The poems can all be rated given such objective facts as the richness of the rhyme scheme, or the use, non-use or misuse of a particular metric structure.
You see, judging the haiku contest is tough in the way it's awfully hard to set decisive and impartial criterias; that is also why the dedicated denizens of armorland are so concerned with who's going to judge; a good rotation of the judging figures can let people see the opinions of many for their style, and some may have more chances of winning given the particular judge in place. Enter's now taking back the lead, as I once knew him when I first came to this thread ^^.

Then, probably it'll be me again. *winkwinknudgenudge*

jacksonghuntington
jacksonghuntington
347 posts
Nomad

lol had to look this one up cus i didnt know the meaning!!!! back to english class for me! oh well. here i go!

Over every bump
Why must it go away now
Off the tracks of love

My dod died... love you shelby!

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

lol had to look this one up cus i didnt know the meaning

My post!?

Oh by the way, I meant subjectivity or course. Sunjectivity sounds kind of...stupid.

Endscape
Endscape
1,182 posts
Nomad

uhhh i think he meant "derailment" and as for the earlier post reffering to "subjectivity"....its a given that differing judges would have differing opinions, we r individuals..., and seeing how judges will have different taste no matter WHAT, we minds well have atleast the same form of judgement/judging.... if u want(although it may take longer... or not) form a panel of judges... IF U WANT...nope, it'll jus take longer.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

You know, working on your spelling would be awesome.
As for the judging, we all take the same frame but the criterias can't be generalised; different judges means different results, and as far as I'm concerned, judging with more than a judge has proven to be quite hard so I prefer the ''switch-judge-once-in-a-while'' system.

Endscape
Endscape
1,182 posts
Nomad

okkk, let us all understand i write like im texting because usually i am texting... if by my "spelling" u mean that...
anddd i have already said that each opinion would vary, anddd the multiple judge thing is bad, and if u have already been using the same... "frame" excuse my ignorance.... for it did not seem so...

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
889 posts
Nomad

so when does the new haiku come ?

The current theme is Derailment, and ends 2/27/11.
Showing 2821-2835 of 5299