ForumsThe TavernSwords

140 28780
escartian
escartian
780 posts
Nomad

This is like the Favorite Gun thread only with swords!
What is you favorite sword?
You can also have discussions (obviously) as this thread grows.
You can talk about anything related to swords!

• 140 Replies
pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

And to swords i think Kriss swords look really cool couldnt imagine the paine of being stabbed with one of those. Not sure how effective they are other wise though. Here is a picture of one

The Kris is actually a knife, man, and guess what? Most are (or were) forged with a neurotoxin inside the blade...
The Kris is generally used in conjunction with Silat, which I was actually attempting to learn not too long ago.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

I've wanted to learn Silat since I saw it featured in a Tom Clancy's Net Force book.

pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

I've wanted to learn Silat since I saw it featured in a Tom Clancy's Net Force book.

Those books were horrible... It is nice that he gave them the third most deadly martial art in the world though.

Now that we have opinions on the best swords, what would you think of as the worst?
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Other than the foil used in fencing? The books weren't that bad, I rather liked them.

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Foil is not that bad.
NOTE: my opinion is biased.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Insanely strong, can cut through anything short of solid steel, and is automatically cool.

it f@cks up the blade incredibly. I know. I've tried. the katana was designed for light armor not dense heavy armor. I recently obtain a murasa okami blade (2008), for die hard katana owners out there you know what Im talking about. One of the last few edo forging technicians left in the world. and as incredibly sexy the blade is it requires constant sharpening and was not meant for cutting trees in my backyard. (i stopped doing that lol)
Armor today is really cool. Have you seen the military Dragon Skin?? Its ceramic scale armor evidently it can take an emense amount of impact even though lightweight and flexible.

it failed military testing
Sarthra21
Sarthra21
1,078 posts
Nomad

Zweihanders are my favorite. Big German sword made for cutting off the heads of halberds and people...

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

was not meant for cutting trees in my backyard

Which doesn't change the fact that it can do that. I've seen a man slice halfway through a tree trunk with a katana. It's ridiculous how powerful those swords are.
escartian
escartian
780 posts
Nomad

Which doesn't change the fact that it can do that. I've seen a man slice halfway through a tree trunk with a katana. It's ridiculous how powerful those swords are.

Did the tree win by falling on him? or did the man give up halfway through killing the seemingly innocent tree?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Did the tree win by falling on him? or did the man give up halfway through killing the seemingly innocent tree?

Probably the katana was so badly stuck in the tree he had to give it up^^
My actual favourite is the rapier, very elegant and fast blade, and gives for a stylish swordfight but I like almost all types of sword. One I also like is the falcata
valkery
valkery
1,255 posts
Nomad

I like the scottish claymore, just because it is freaking beast. And I like the Dao, used by the chinese.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Those books were horrible... It is nice that he gave them the third most deadly martial art in the world though.
There's more to fighting than punching and kicking, and there's a heck of a lot more to martial arts than fighting. More to the point, I don't see that Silat can be called "The X most Y Z" in any meaningful way, as that's a very specific thing for such a general group of styles.

I can understand the importance of stabbing, but why is having two edges imperative for a sword? Explain that to me.
It's more versatile. You can do more stuff from any given position with a double-edged sword. I think the pros outweigh the advantages of a single-edged sword.

On katanas... Seriously people, it's just a sword. It can't cut through a tank. It isn't a magic super-weapon. It's just a single-edged, curved sword with some cool forging techniques.
jabello11
jabello11
721 posts
Nomad

I would a sword that will not break and is light and durable.

jabello11
jabello11
721 posts
Nomad

No. we are talking about the weapon sword. if you are going to post post appopreitly please.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

I like me a good cutlass!

http://www.arrowgiftshop.com/media/22-4161Llil

Showing 61-75 of 140