ForumsWEPRIs suicide an escape?

362 73018
Asterantha
Asterantha
100 posts
Nomad

No matter the reason -- couldn't you say it's always an escape?

Is it selfish? Or, depending on the motive, selfless?

• 362 Replies
AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,573 posts
Blacksmith

Maybe you do care, but I don't. death is not something that bugs me. It never has

Well I know you do care, and as for death, Im glad it doesn't bug you.
NiteStryker
NiteStryker
144 posts
Nomad

We are not selfish.We are rejected from the world.We have no loved ones.skater_kid_who_pwns-WE GET IT!!!!!!!YOU DON'T THINK IT IS AN ESCAPE!.Well good for u

djfinalmix
djfinalmix
196 posts
Nomad

September 1929:

"Bye mom, im jumping off a cliff."

juslikejesus
juslikejesus
7 posts
Nomad

Do not ever kill yourself, you're life is the most precious thing in the entire universe. You can make as many mistakes as you want while in life and usually fix them if you kill yourself you can't fix that. Also when you're dead, you're dead. As an anatomy student, I know that people die everyday I see dead animals all the time in class and they are just lifeless bodies. If you ever feel like you're going to do it just remember this line by Dylan Thomas "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Rage Rage against the dying of the light." Seriously, screw everybody else about it being selfish, you don't don't waant to do it. People who make it through suicide, say they're so glad that they didn't die. The sun always rises, and you want to be there when it does.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

People who make it through suicide, say they're so glad that they didn't die.

There are plenty of people who make repeat attempts after failing the first time.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

There are plenty of people who make repeat attempts after failing the first time.

There are also those who regret what they did, I can't find statistics on it though as it would seem people don't want to talk about it much.

If I remember right group suicides were popular in Japan for sometime.
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Group suicides have had popularity all over the globe at different times. A number of 'Suicide cults' were to be found in America not so long ago - most of them have died out now.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

A number of 'Suicide cults' were to be found in America not so long ago - most of them have died out now.

It's sort of the only option isn't it, for them to die out that is.

Suicide is a massive problem but, unfortunatly I doubt it will ever be solved. Public schools cannot make up for parents who do not instill some sort of intrinsic value in their children.
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Meh, once you realize that life has no objective point - you might as well end it all anyway.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Meh, once you realize that life has no objective point - you might as well end it all anyway.

Yeah, that's basically the thought process, if nothing else religion should help to alleviate suicide rates by giving a purpose.
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Most religions provide a purpose only through fear. 'if you do not obey my orders then you shall be punished with pain far greater and more eternal than any you can imagine' is common in many religions.

crazyrussian97
crazyrussian97
256 posts
Shepherd

if nothing else religion should help to alleviate suicide rates by giving a purpose

Also, religion alleviates suicide rates with threats of eternal damnation in hell. That's really the only purpose religion serves.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Most religions provide a purpose only through fear. 'if you do not obey my orders then you shall be punished with pain far greater and more eternal than any you can imagine' is common in many religions.

I digress, whether or not it's an instance in the holy book, Christianity is mainly a belief in an all loving deity. If something loves you you're more likely to feel a purpose as well as having the support of the religious group.

Also, religion alleviates suicide rates with threats of eternal ****ation in hell. That's really the only purpose religion serves.

Someones a tad bit ignorant now aren't we. Have you ever been to a church service (outside of the baptist church in some instances)? Or how about the major religions that have no hell?
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Nevertheless, outside of some of the fringe Christian groups - the only major one I can think of that doesn't believe in a conventional hell is Methodism (And I don't think JW do either)

crazyrussian97
crazyrussian97
256 posts
Shepherd

Or how about the major religions that have no hell?

Sorry. I just jump to Christianity when I see topics about suicide tied in with religion. Also, pretty much every Christian person I have ever talked to states that hell is the punishment for suicide (except for some Catholics who say its Purgatory).
Showing 241-255 of 362