ForumsWEPRIs suicide an escape?

362 70831
Asterantha
Asterantha
100 posts
Nomad

No matter the reason -- couldn't you say it's always an escape?

Is it selfish? Or, depending on the motive, selfless?

• 362 Replies
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

The Pope abolished purgatory - sorry to break it to you.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Sorry. I just jump to Christianity when I see topics about suicide tied in with religion. Also, pretty much every Christian person I have ever talked to states that hell is the punishment for suicide

Right? It's also the punishment for a whole list of sin, the point is that believing in Jesus constituents a constant repentance=hell no longer a problem. The deterrent isn't "to not go to hell" but there are people who would legitimately care if you were gone and who love you.
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

Are we still talking about this?

The Christians believe if that you believe in Jesus and what he did you will go to heaven. If not, you'll go to hell. Some people might kill themselves just to go to heaven if they're Christian. I'm not sure what the other religions think about hell but I would imagine that they wouldn't kill themselves just to go to heaven.

Lawl.
crazyrussian97
crazyrussian97
256 posts
Shepherd

I won't be losing any sleep over that. Which Pope, by the way?
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Oh wait - I got purgatory and limbo mixed up. Good news - Catholics still have purgatory. Bad news - unborn foetuses aren't going anywhere fast. Pope Benedict XVI officially denounced it.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Just to clear things up, the Pope did not abolish Purgatory - he abolished Limbo.
Purgatory is an official doctrine of the Catholic faith. Limbo is not, it has merely served as a theological theory for Catholics.
The difference is the status of the human soul when the body dies. Those who are not touched by the grace of God would be sent to Limbo. This was seen as a realm where souls just chill for eternity. Unbaptized babies and those who lived before the time of Jesus were thought to be sent to Limbo.
Purgatory, on the other hand, is a stepping stone on the way to Heaven. It's where souls are "cleansed" before entering Heaven. It is not permanent.

So, by the Pope abolishing Limbo (an effort that started with Pope John Paul II), he is acknowledging that it is God's desire for all souls to reach heaven.

But just to be clear, suicide is a mortal sin for the Catholics. And because of its nature, it is not a sin that can be absolved. According to Catholic doctrine (not just theological positing) all suicides are sent to hell.
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

So, I've read the past few pages. More or less focusing on SkaterKid who, to my mind at least, is as ignorant as they come. You sir are a hypocrite. You tell me that I am talking about things I don't know, but you have never even considered the idea of suicide. You simply accuse me of weakness because you think my situation wasn't as bad as I make it out to be. In that case you're right, it was actually worse than I make it out to be, but I'm not here for your worthless sympathy. The point being is I did not kill myself, I did not give into what you call weakness and I call a chance for peace. I managed to bring myself out of that hole, but I will not simply say "Oh I was being selfish and weak." It would have been selfish and weak had I thrown myself into that hole in the first place, but I did not, I was thrown by others. So do not sit there believing you are better than me when you have not faced what I have faced, and have never thought the things I have thought. Do you know how many ways I knife can kill someone? All the ways that you could possibly cut? I have a fair number of them in my head. I've never harmed myself intentionally, but I think you get the point. I've never drawn my own blood.

heroforchrist
heroforchrist
65 posts
Jester

Suicide is definitely not an escape. It's a coward's way out. Especially knowing that there are others who have had it much worse than you, and who are experiencing worse things at the moment. If they can go on living, then so can you.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Suicide is definitely not an escape. It's a coward's way out. Especially knowing that there are others who have had it much worse than you, and who are experiencing worse things at the moment. If they can go on living, then so can you.

Really? A 'coward's' way out? Last time I checked a coward was someone who couldn't face their fears. Now, let me ask this. Is anyone truly unafraid of death? Think on that for a bit.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

I'm with Walker on this one. You can say "I'm not scared of death" a thousand times. However, when it comes to being stood there - a gun against your head, on the edge of a tall building or with the bottle of pills in your hand - it's a hell of a lot more real.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Especially knowing that there are others who have had it much worse than you, and who are experiencing worse things at the moment. If they can go on living, then so can you.

You know, I hate when people tell me this. The fact is I am sure there are people out there with it worse than me, however, I haven't experienced this, therefore cannot say it is worse or not to my mind. The situations we face are our own and they cause US, the individual pain. We cannot really say one this is worse than the other because to the person expereicing the situation, it is the wrost thing.
AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,574 posts
Blacksmith

I get the feeling there are lots of people who are scared to even talk about this. I also think suicide is something that has crossed most peoples minds at one time or another and they will never admit that "weakness". Whether its to escape a horrible situation i.e. bullying, or if pressures of life are just getting too strong, everyone wants to just release all trouble sometimes. Most of us (evidently) do not. We decide that we CAN get past the pressure, the hate, the submission or whatever makes us want to escape. I guess it could be viewed as jumping off a dark ledge to escape a terrible monster (just think Geigers Alien... would YOU jump off into the unknown to escape that nightmare).
Wolf1991, I salute you. I for one know that getting past such thoughts is not easy and can sometimes strengthen our resolve. It depends on the company we keep methinks. This is where I am lucky.

Suicide is definitely not an escape. It's a coward's way out.

Way to go mr love the neighbour and jesus is my saviour etc etc etc... your all lovin the god till something grinds your gears. Didnt your messiah say turn the other cheek? along with many things that should compel you to talk openly and honestly about this subject.

the point is that believing in Jesus constituents a constant repentance=hell no longer a problem.

In other words religion is like a loan shark or a merciless emperor, so long as you &quotay" your dues you are gonna be ok.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Just to clear things up, the Pope did not abolish Purgatory - he abolished Limbo.

If such a place actually exists wouldn't this be a bit like saying the Pope abolished the planet Mars? Of him having such an ability to abolish a place indicates that it wasn't real to begin with, and even suggests that they knew it all along. But I guess that's for another topic.

Suicide is definitely not an escape. It's a coward's way out.

This doesn't make much sense. You are either going to believe that something continues on of you or not. If the latter then death would be an escape as you you shift to a state where you no longer capable of having the feelings causing you to what to kill yourself.
If the former this can vary.
-You might think that you just go on in some form of darkness for eternity. An eternity of nothingness over current hardships could be seen as a form of escape.
-You might think you reincarnate. On this claim most people think you don't usually remember your past life, so this could be an escape. In most cases people say that problems follow you to the next life. However the new form it takes would have to be more bearable. So again this could be an escape or at least shows bravery to possibly face an even harder life.
-You believe you will go to some sort of in between place like purgatory. This again could be seen as better then ones current situation, thus an escape.
-You could believe you go to heaven. Since pain supposedly doesn't exist here then this clearly is an escape.
-You believe you will go to hell. It would seem to indicate that the pain they were already suffering was hell equivalent already, and to intentionally send yourself to a place where you just keep going on like that doesn't sound like an escape or cowardice.

Especially knowing that there are others who have had it much worse than you, and who are experiencing worse things at the moment. If they can go on living, then so can you.

That's not necessarily true. What people can and can not handle can vary greatly. Also what one might consider worse off another person might consider to be a better situation.
CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

An escape? Yes, they are dead and whatever was causing them pain can no longer reach them. Whether they are better off is another thing.

locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

how is suicide the cowards way out if you were a coward you wouldn't been able to comitt suicide if they're to scared to

Showing 256-270 of 362