ForumsWEPRIs suicide an escape?

362 70020
Asterantha
Asterantha
100 posts
Nomad

No matter the reason -- couldn't you say it's always an escape?

Is it selfish? Or, depending on the motive, selfless?

• 362 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

It's a personal choice; there are scenarios so desperate that people will just choose so. For me, if everyone I cared for was dead and I'm the last one left, I would do the act. Loneliness is my greatest fear.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

an ex-suicider (failed to kill self) said: "When you are falling down from the bridge, you suddenly understand that all your problems are solvable - except one: you are already falling from the bridge."...

That's genius. I think that suicide is escape, but only in severe situations. Like nichodemus said, complete and utter loneliness, or a disease causing major pain. But if it's suicide because you think no one cares? **** that.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

That's genius. I think that suicide is escape, but only in severe situations. Like nichodemus said, complete and utter loneliness, or a disease causing major pain. But if it's suicide because you think no one cares? **** that.

Do not treat emotions so lightly. I myself have went through such phases in my life with everyone basically defecating on me. It hurts, and pushes one to do drastic things.
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Do not treat emotions so lightly. I myself have went through such phases in my life with everyone basically defecating on me. It hurts, and pushes one to do drastic things.

I've failed suicide 2 times, and also 5 of my very close friends committed suicide, believe me, it leaves a permanent scar on EVERYONE that knew you, even when you fail you realize how much you were loved and needed.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

I've failed suicide 2 times, and also 5 of my very close friends committed suicide, believe me, it leaves a permanent scar on EVERYONE that knew you, even when you fail you realize how much you were loved and needed.

Latter didn't occur for me.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

holy crap, that's depressing.

you are right that people will not be happy if you kill yourself, but they will be even more unhappy if they see you commit it, fail to do so, and pretend nothing happened. they will want to talk with you about your problems.

other than the fact that this thread is really depressing (seriously, its put a tear in my eye).

suicide is an escape, the only time you need to escape is if you truly feel like a prisoner in your own life.
Zhangdongxiang
Zhangdongxiang
6 posts
Peasant

There is an old saying.If you are not afraid of death , why do you afraid of living.

Epic563
Epic563
166 posts
Nomad

This thread is making me pretty sad

The stories people tell....it makes a hole in my heart.

Suicide is the worst escape possible. It is NEVER acceptable, EVER. I can just imagine a suicide bomber in Hell right now, saying "Dang, I just wasted my life, and now it's eternal suffering."

Not that's he give a crap.

If you've ever watched The Walking Dead, many people committed suiced so they wouldn't turn into Walkers. THAT is okay, though even I wouldn't do that.

You've only got one life, so make it count.

Epic563
Epic563
166 posts
Nomad

I'm very sorry to hear that, jeol. Once again, it breaks my heart.

What if it was ME who commited sucicide, or got blown up, or murdered, or other terrible things things.

deadhead50
deadhead50
342 posts
Nomad

No matter WHAT, suicide is NEVER acceptable, escape, attention, or otherwise. People who commit suicide are selfish; there is always a way around your troubles. They failed to recognize how those that love them are going to feel if he or she would be gone. All in all, I just pity them.

Well I've been through many troubles and have often though of suicide. Before I tell a long and irrelevant story I'm just going to say that I've suffered from clinical depression for around 4 years now. Whenever I talk about suicide i see it as a moral choice for one person. Who am I to judge someones reasons to give up on their life? Sometimes there isn't other ways around your troubles and you just have to deal with them, this is where suicide comes in. You don't deal with them you avoid them.

Also I've never understood why someone is locked up after attempting suicide either. If you already want to give up on life and get caught, your life just gets worse thus making you want to commit suicide even more.

This is all based off my own personal experience with the topic and there could be situations much different from my own.

But overall I feel suicide is an escape for some people, a cry for help from others, a way to get attention ect. It depends on the person and there reasoning for giving up on life and unless you know the situation there is no way to justify interfering.

To counter the end of the quote above. There are people on this earth with nobody. It's a cold and dark thought but it's the truth. Some people can die and nobody would notice.
Epic563
Epic563
166 posts
Nomad

Some people can die and nobody would notice.

Depends what country you live in, but yes, that can happen. The thought of a worthless life....in brings me to tears. I'm so lucky to be where I am. If I could trade places with someone with an awful life, I'd to in a heartbeat.

For them.
Deathless950
Deathless950
1,943 posts
Nomad

Suicide is an act of selfishness towards all that could and would love you.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Depends what country you live in, but yes, that can happen

kinda spooky but actualy today, i saw a documentary about people that die alone. and there are more then you think there are. it was on our national television and they followed a person that manages the death ceremony for those people in 1/3 of the netherlands. (realy real small piece of land compared to other countrys ) and she had about 20 people per month.
i can't say i live in a 3rd world country or that we have medical problems (instead we are walking on the front line on both ways)
but still about 60 people out of 16,5 mill per month die compleetly alone whitout any1 noticing.

the world can be a sad place.
Epic563
Epic563
166 posts
Nomad

Indeed it can party. I mean, think of it. You've got one chance at life. ONE! And then go to where you believe or in, if you don't believe in anything. But still, it is an awful thing.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

Suicide is an act of selfishness towards all that could and would love you.

to everyone but the one who commited the act, yes it is selfish. but to the person doing it, it can be considered the right thing to do. sometimes, the ones who kill themselves think that their family is better off without them, or that he/she is a waste of space.

remember this when you hear another suicide story.
Showing 301-315 of 362