ForumsWEPRIs suicide an escape?

362 70021
Asterantha
Asterantha
100 posts
Nomad

No matter the reason -- couldn't you say it's always an escape?

Is it selfish? Or, depending on the motive, selfless?

• 362 Replies
babiker
babiker
46 posts
Nomad

suicide is a crime and act of craziness.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Wasn't there this famous guy not all too long ago who took his life because he felt Alzheimer coming and didn't want to end like this? I'm not saying that it was the best thing to do, but why is it so bad to want to be able to lead your life like you want? Is it really a sign of weakness or madness to want to end one's life with dignity? (I'm not too fond of the concept of 'dignity' since it can hinder reasonable thinking in some cases, but I understand people who insist on it).

I generally consider medical reasons for suicide as ok if the person was in good enough condition to make this decision reasonably; although I don't see suicide as something good, I don't consider it as exclusively bad either. It all depends on the situation.

babiker
babiker
46 posts
Nomad

if the hole world died and you were the last living, would you commit suicide? i mean, its against human nature! no matter what happen, there's always a reason to keep living even if you were hitler

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

if the hole world died and you were the last living, would you commit suicide?

No. And I don't see in what way this question refers to my previous post, if it does?

i mean, its against human nature!

Human nature is such an overused term... what if going on with your life would only bring you pain and desolation while risking to financially ruin your family?
What if you knew that you will soon loose your mind and end your days as a gibbering fool, not conscious of yourself anymore? Would you want that?
Never say never. There are not many cases where I would say that suicide was the right choice, but such cases do exist, as sad as it may sound.

no matter what happen, there's always a reason to keep living even if you were hitler

Personally, I will agree, I think I will always see a reason to go on living. But I may change with age or in a specific situation. Also if someone has thoroughly thought of the question and decided to commit suicide, and if the reason makes sense to me, I will respect that. Doesn't mean I will like it, far from that, but I will not consider it a crime or such things.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

I'd say that it depends on the circumstances as to where suicide is an acceptable 'escape' - there's no denying that it's an escape but whether it's acceptable is more open to debate.

If the person is suffering from some incurable or terminal illness that severely reduces or impairs their quality of life and they feel that, when the right time comes, they want to take their own life or be helped to do so - then this is acceptable, at least in my eyes, as allowing someone to maintain at least some dignity and control over their own death.

Sir Terry Pratchett makes quite a case for allowing 'assisted death tribunals'.

If someone is going through a rough patch in their life, battling with an illness (mental or physical) that can be cured or at least alleviated, or just feeling unhappy then I'd say that suicide is not acceptable because there's always the chance to reach out to other people or find something to live for.

babiker
babiker
46 posts
Nomad

well, i believe that my soul was created by god, and that i have no right to lose it of my own free will. in that way i will be betraying god, for my sole is his, he gave it to me it, so he chooses when to take it away.(and please if you dont like it, you dont have to call me lunatic, this is what i believe)

thats why i consider killing yourself a total crime and should not be respected no matter what. you have to keep living no matter what pain you are facing.

because no matter how long night might seem, the sun will always shine again, to a new life, a new beginning, and another chance in life.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

because no matter how long night might seem, the sun will always shine again, to a new life, a new beginning, and another chance in life.

Optimism is usually crushed by time and experience.
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

you have to keep living no matter what pain you are facing

If you had a disease which, for example, makes you feel incredible amounts of pain and you have to live with it for a year, you would soon go berserk from the pain. Would you like to continue living with extreme pain at random moments?

Optimism is usually crushed by time and experience.

Usually? You mean always. You'll learn soon enough babi, enjoy while you still can
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Usually? You mean always. You'll learn soon enough babi, enjoy while you still can

Oh, I know people who are just so happy go lucky even if the sky falls they'll laugh.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Also, I would protest the word ''Babi'' being used, because Babi in Malay means pork which is pretty insulting to anyone who professes the Muslim faith.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Oh, I know people who are just so happy go lucky even if the sky falls they'll laugh.

I doubt it's good being that happy

Also, I would protest the word ''Babi'' being used, because Babi in Malay means pork which is pretty insulting to anyone who professes the Muslim faith.

It means pig in Indonesian.

If someone is going through a rough patch in their life, battling with an illness (mental or physical) that can be cured or at least alleviated, or just feeling unhappy then I'd say that suicide is not acceptable because there's always the chance to reach out to other people or find something to live for.

Most teenagers these days are very depressed. And that being the stupidest reasons, I keep seeing them on Tumblr messaging people that they thought of suicide etc. just because their love life is a mess. That's the worst reason to end your life, because you don't have success in your love life.

if the hole world died and you were the last living, would you commit suicide?

No. I would do all the things I couldn't do while there were still people alive because of the lack of money. That would kill me, for I wouldn't have proper training for anything, but atleast I enjoyed the last moments of my life
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

I doubt it's good being that happy

Actually it varies from person to person, won't you think?

It means pig in Indonesian.

Ah yes, pig to be more specific. But it's used interchangeably in the language. Also, not just Indonesia, but Bahasa Melayu, the slightly varied language spoken in Malaysia and Singapore.
babiker
babiker
46 posts
Nomad

can i ask why everyone here takes things way too seriously? just because i said one happy thing, every one thinks im a hippie freak. like nichodemus said, being happy is good for many people.

plus, ive seen way too much depressing things that would make most people go mad. but ive learned the hard way that being happy is just the way your sopposed to be, even if the sky falls down.

by the way im Sudanese. dont speak Bahasa; only Arabic. now, haven't we gone a little beyond the mane topic now?

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

...just because i said one happy thing, every one thinks im a hippie freak. like nichodemus said, being

I don't think anyone said you're a hippie freak, Nicho just said most people find out how harsh and hard life is.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

can i ask why everyone here takes things way too seriously? just because i said one happy thing, every one thinks im a hippie freak.

that's cuz you sometimes say things only hippies would say.

ive seen way too much depressing things that would make most people go mad. but ive learned the hard way that being happy is just the way your sopposed to be, even if the sky falls down.

forced happiness is actually more stifling than the depression itself. not just to the "happy guy", but to people around him who knows he is faking it. sometimes it's better just to let all of your sorrow out by crying until your tears are replaced with blood (I don't recommend trying that). when you do, the pain of the world fades away when you regain your composure.
Showing 316-330 of 362