ForumsWEPRIs suicide an escape?

362 69926
Asterantha
Asterantha
100 posts
Nomad

No matter the reason -- couldn't you say it's always an escape?

Is it selfish? Or, depending on the motive, selfless?

• 362 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I agree with what she says.
The Right to Die

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

No matter the reason -- couldn't you say it's always an escape?

Is it selfish? Or, depending on the motive, selfless?

Of course it's an escape. Obviously when you take your own life you are escaping whatever it is that makes you not desire to be alive. Surely the motives could be varied, and as such could be either selfish or selfless in their origin.

There are many reasons, be they social, psychological, physiological, or what have you, but the bottom line is that one commits suicide when they perceive that life has lost it's value, either to them or to others by their existence.

While there are cases in which I feel suicide is a viable option and one which should be made available (primarily in physiological instances where one is terminal or in such pain that management is no longer an option) the majority of cases in which one commits suicide seem to stem from societal and/or psychological pressures.

I feel that these are preventable instances and that we as a society need to increase our understanding of the warning signs in these instances and be more proactive about intervening and making treatment available.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

We also need to do more to increase equality. I read some statistics recently that showed roughly 4 people had commited suicide in the USA last month because of people making fun of their homosexuality.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

We also need to do more to increase equality. I read some statistics recently that showed roughly 4 people had commited suicide in the USA last month because of people making fun of their homosexuality.

I agree. As I pointed out, one of the main reasons for one to commit suicide is societal pressure, either pressure that one should commit suicide (as with human sacrifice in many early cultures, or hari kari more recently) or in that societal pressures are so strong on particular groups (such as homosexuals) that members of that group feel that to continue living as a member of such a group would not be worthwhile.
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

one of the main reasons for one to commit suicide is societal pressure, either pressure that one should commit suicide

That's what I said a few pages back. All of it is true.

Suicide has crossed my mind many times before but the only thing that was keeping me back was my family and the lack of courage.
I just don't want to feel anything when I die. I would die by a nuclear explosion or in my sleep, those are both fast deaths.
Maybe, just maybe there's a bigger reason why people suicide themselves. Maybe...
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

Every escape leads to an entrance.

halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

its just for people who are afraid of living

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Not really - ever heard of Seppuku? That was commited by japanese Samurai if they had failed themselves or their sensei in a way that was unforgivable - it was a matter of honor not fear. They also did it to avoid falling into enemy hands - as part of the Samurai honor code.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

its just for people who are afraid of living

Sigh... am I going to have to explain this all again?

Not necessarily. People who are afraid to live have biophobia. I think. Bio meaning life, phobia meaning fear of. They just either live their life everyday the same way everyday like a replaying video or they just probably sleep all day. In some cases yes people suicide for the fear of living but not all the time.
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

lt me refrase

afraid of whats going to happen if they keep living

exe. a more painful death

halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

sorry i mean let me refrase

Peter20
Peter20
543 posts
Peasant

an escape to what: hell, pergitory, or something worse

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

also because they want power over someone.
Didnt the bullies used to get bullied? :P

Some did, but most don't.
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

you don't understand. what i meant was that someone that is a victim might find i hard to hide from a bully that is tracking them down to beat them up.And don't take metaphors literally

I use metaphors to express how I feel alot too... people don't usually get what I'm trying to say, though.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Oh puh-lease peter - have you no brain inside that thick skull? One would think that with such a closed mind it would be hard for it to fall out and yet...

Who says there is an afterlife and better yet who has proof?

Showing 91-105 of 362