ForumsWEPRIs suicide an escape?

362 70026
Asterantha
Asterantha
100 posts
Nomad

No matter the reason -- couldn't you say it's always an escape?

Is it selfish? Or, depending on the motive, selfless?

• 362 Replies
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

who has proof there isint one

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

>.> if someone claims something the burden of proof falls on them. It's up to a religious person to prove god and afterlife and such. HOWEVER, this is not a religious debate so let's just stop it before it gets out of hand.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

You're the ones asserting there is therefore the burden of proof is on you. If I said that I was actually a miniature pink-spotted leopard with an afro then the burden of proof would be on me to prove it - same applies when you assert the existence of an afterlife.

ABarOfSoap
ABarOfSoap
230 posts
Nomad

>.> if someone claims something the burden of proof falls on them. It's up to a religious person to prove god and afterlife and such. HOWEVER, this is not a religious debate so let's just stop it before it gets out of hand.

Yes, as it does seem to have happened before. In the case of an answer such as Peters, I simply attempt to view it from his perspective.

Suicide - Suicide is unneccesary. Everything can be fixed, unless it involves a life or death decision. A lot of the times people commit suicide over trivial matters, such as being all alone on Christmas and such.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Terminal illness or constant pain cannot be fixed. Disfigurement and disabilities (for the most part) cannot be fixed. Sexual orientation cannot be fixed. People have many reasons for committing suicide - most of them good and viable.

halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

i agree with bar of soap on suicide most mtters can be fixed

XXAlienGirlXX
XXAlienGirlXX
810 posts
Nomad

Suicide is unneccesary. Everything can be fixed, unless it involves a life or death decision. A lot of the times people commit suicide over trivial matters, such as being all alone on Christmas and such.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

never heard that one before sarcasm

ABarOfSoap
ABarOfSoap
230 posts
Nomad

Terminal illness or constant pain cannot be fixed. Disfigurement and disabilities (for the most part) cannot be fixed. Sexual orientation cannot be fixed. People have many reasons for committing suicide - most of them good and viable.

Sexual orientation is a viable reason for suicide? Disfigurement and disabilities can be coped with.

Constant pain and terminal illness, though, I am not so sure about. I stand corrected, slightly, although there usually is medication to alleviate pain.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

No it isn't but discrimination against sexual orientation can force people to hide who and what they really are - leading them to take the path that 'frees' them from such a heavy burden.

Also, those medicines tend to alleviate pain certainly - but at a great cost. Many of the stronger ones leave the person nothing more than either a gibbering fool, a drooling idiot or in a deep, drug-induced sleep.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Sexual orientation is a viable reason for suicide? Disfigurement and disabilities can be coped with.

Yes these are viable reasons because they are often the target of ridicule and severe harassment which often leads to extreme depression. Depression is a difficult thing to cope with even with medical attention. Depression is especially harmful because it can last for years afterward. To this day I still suffer from a mild case of depression.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

The problems that are dealt with aren't always temporary, such as suffering with debilitating pain that will last the rest of your life or living as a vegetative state.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Actually ALL problems are temporary. Eventually we all will die. None of our problems are eternal. Even though this is true, the argument that 'suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem" is still bullshit. Sex is a temporary solution. Eating is a temporary solution. Sleep is a temporary solution. And so on, so forth, ad infinitum. Everything every living creature does is a temporary solution so please don't even attempt to wax philosophical because your statement is nonsensical, especially when taken into proper context.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Actually ALL problems are temporary. Eventually we all will die. None of our problems are eternal. Even though this is true, the argument that 'suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem" is still bull****. Sex is a temporary solution. Eating is a temporary solution. Sleep is a temporary solution. And so on, so forth, ad infinitum. Everything every living creature does is a temporary solution so please don't even attempt to wax philosophical because your statement is nonsensical, especially when taken into proper context.

True, I generally regard a permanent problem as one that lasts the rest of a persons natural lifespan. As after that any problem that person might have had is rather moot.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

True, I generally regard a permanent problem as one that lasts the rest of a persons natural lifespan. As after that any problem that person might have had is rather moot.

I would agree. And in such a case then suicide could be termed as a 'ermanent solution to an all-too-often permanent problem'. Doesn't look like such a cop-out now, does it, you right wing asshats? XD
Showing 106-120 of 362