ForumsThe TavernGlasses

130 19229
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Who's got them and why?
I had an eye exam today and will be having to get glasses for the first time for astigmatism in my right eye. I should get my glasses sometime after the holiday.

• 130 Replies
eirwen
eirwen
172 posts
Nomad

I have glasses, but I don't wear them often (i really should though lol). I have a slight problem so I can see without them etc

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I have glasses because my vision is not that good.My vision is like 20/70 I think. Stuff about 20-30 feet away from me get blurry. I only use them though for reading long paragraphs or if I sit in the back of a class room.

DesertHyena
DesertHyena
2,886 posts
Peasant

I've had glasses for about 6 months now, and it was for astigmatism. The real problem with them is they need to be cleaned constantly, and I can get a little OCD about it too.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I initially had near-sightedness. I recall symptoms of myopia first surfaced around the time I was seven years old. The condition of my sight has gradually deteriorated and my lenses are now rated at around -2.5 dioptres. I acquired astigmatism too.

Now I have both.

DesertHyena
DesertHyena
2,886 posts
Peasant

geez man, my dioptres is like .25 left and .5 right, and you have myopia? That must really suck.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

It sucks as long as I can't wear my spectacles. Without them, I couldn't see if my life depended on it. If was reading a piece of paper held up a few inches away from me, I'd have a chance.

IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

I have absolutely horrible eyesight.
I think I have 7.6, but I'm not sure if it's negative or positive.
I'm nearsighted.
My parents didn't actually know I had eyesight problems until they took a test in kindergarten. I'd learned how to read, though, before that, so when we got glasses I yelled out the names of the stores/buildings that were displayed on the buildings.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

It's negative if you're near-sighted/short-sighted. The condition's myopia.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

How to read your prescription might be of interest to someone here.
http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/read-eyeglasses-contacts-prescription.htm

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,437 posts
Farmer

I have glasses because I have astigmatism in my left eye and I need them to see long distances

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I wasn't able to get the full details of my prescription. I only memorised the approximate dioptres.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

I believe I have a -5.00. It's been slowly deteriorating over the years.

I slept too much with contacts in and got a condition known as giant papillary conjuncivitis. Anti-inflammatory and allergy drops cleared that up, although I've resumed my habits on a lesser scale.

logantheking
logantheking
254 posts
Scribe

I had glasses for several years but know I have contacts. The contacts help a lot with my nystagmus, I also have astigmatism and because of that I cannot get better then around 20/50 with contacts. The contact prescriptions are a -4 and a -5.5.
I should be able to get the lasik in a few years and that (hopefully) will help.

I doubt spending time starting at a computer screen while I am at AG helps.

Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

I used to have to wear glasses to read when I was about 10, but somehow I grew out of that by the time I was 11 or 12 and ever since have had 20/20 vision. Oddly enough only one other person in my entire family doesn't need glasses.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I was told that I wouldn't permanently need glasses when I got my first set. I guess I screwed up by not wearing my glasses every day.. Looking back isn't comforting. Then again, I don't mind wearing glasses. Perhaps eventually I could consider surgical options.

Showing 1-15 of 130